Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS Servers for low cost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS Servers for low cost

Does anyone ever use windows VPS servers anymore ? im thinking of offering them for real cheap but don't want to waste my time if there is no demand for them. "your thoughts please ?"

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Tons of demand. But they get abused like no other.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@shovenose said:

And then when you tell someone it is not OK to run a runescape bot 24x7 eating 100% of 4 cores 24x7 they call you names and make you sad.

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

BTW, is there a way the swap can be disabled? I think that's a problem with Windows VPS

@netomx said:
    BTW, is there a way the swap can be disabled? I think that's a problem with Windows VPS

You mean turn of the page file?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

yeah, that :D

You would do that within the guest OS under system properties.

• @shovenose said:

I found it ironic that you brought this up.

• How much would be the low cost vps cost?

• ClancomsClancoms Member
    edited February 2014

With Windows Os " License included " $15.00 a month for a 2CPU @3.5GHz 30Gb drive and 4GB Ram

• @Clancoms said:
    With Windows Os $15.00 a month for a 2CPU 3.5GHz 30Gb drive and 4GB Ram

License included?

• yes

• I was looking for windows vps with 2 CPU , 1 GB ram , 20 GB HDD , I wana buy 30 of those.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Clancoms said:
    With Windows Os " License included " $15.00 a month for a 2CPU 3.5GHz 30Gb drive and 4GB Ram

• that's cheap :-)

@Clancoms said:
    With Windows Os " License included " $15.00 a month for a 2CPU 3.5GHz 30Gb drive and 4GB Ram

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
  • @Clancoms said:

if i have my own licence then?

• ClancomsClancoms Member
    edited February 2014

i would do it for $10.00 monthly. These servers are running KVM,RAID10, with Xeon E3-1270V3 @3.5GHz.

we will have these servers listed on our site in a few more days as we get closer to release.
    if you want to pre order i will give you 10% off here is order link.
    use promo code " winpreorder "
    https://www.clancoms.com/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=236

• @Clancoms

My recommendation:

Don't do it.

Why? (one might ask)

• Runescape servers
    • Maplestory servers
    • Kiddy coin miners (not even the big boys)
    • JingLing
    • HitLeap
    • Lots of chargebacks
    • Lots of fraud
    • Torrenting
    • DoS / DDoSing
    • Brute Forcing / zombies

It's not very fun.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

@netomx
    Bad idea, it would end up with memory errors when you run out of RAM.
    Applications crashing, shit like that.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited February 2014

@MikHo said:
    Applications crashing, shit like that.

Actually, Windows Server handles pretty well without the page file; and stops abusing the hell out of disk as well. Of course, it depends on what kind of RAM we're talking about.

A Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Edition w/o any pagefile runs just fine, with Apache/MySQL/PHP or IIS/PHP/MySQL or IIS/ASP.NET/MySQL . The only thing you can't do without a pagefile is save kernel dumps (and nobody that buys a VPS here ever reads those anyways...)

If you use all your RAM, Windows will stop serving memory requests; or start with that "blah blah is using all your RAM, do you want to close it" popup annoyance; even on the server editions.

You can get away with more RAM as well if you uninstall the GUI (who needs that once you have your programs running anyways?) You can do this from PowerShell at any time by using the Remove-WindowsFeature command.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@HardCloud said:
    If you use all your RAM, Windows will stop serving memory requests; or start with that "blah blah is using all your RAM, do you want to close it" popup annoyance; even on the server editions.

In Linux it's called OOM, same shit happens in windows. An application that suddenly stops responding because there is no more memory available is what I call crashing.

Windows will ofcourse run fine without the pagefile, as long as you never use more menory then available.

@Hardcloud what you suggest and removing the GUI is one way of saving memory and by that more RAM will be available to other applications. It will however not help if you allocate more memory then there is available to the system.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I like to sell Windows vps instead of Linux.

Many of peoples use Windows VPS for good purpose and you can hardly find a linux vps customers until you sell your VPS at $1/m or $10 yearly...