Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo-ing a Tonido Plug?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo-ing a Tonido Plug?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited April 2012 in General

Just wondering if it actually make sense for me to think about colo a Tonido-plug with a USB hard drive plugged in it? Does this gives me a super-cheap low end dedi somehow?

Comments

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited April 2012

Nope, it would be cheaper to get a higher end VPS.
    At least my thought.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited April 2012

Do you know of any datacenters that would colo this and not charge you the same amount as a 1U server ?

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/pluggr-info-4-50month-sheevaplug-dedicated-server-140-setup/

This is the only company I can recall doing this kind of thing, and they apparently don't do it anymore.

• @JoeMerit: Well, I was hoping someone would charge cheaper due to low power consumption...

• @ErrantWeb: Is a cheap dedi better than a high end VPS though?

• Look at that, they deadpooled.

• LOL, guess that means something...
    So how much do a 1U cost these days along the east coast? as cheap as possible provided the uptime is OK (not like 80% or something)

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

Do you know of any datacenters that would colo this and not charge you the same amount as a 1U server ?

Once you add the external drive housing and a disk, it's not going to really take up less volume than a 1u box, actually ~2u in height for the plug, and a PITA to wire up - that's putting aside any fire-risk issues for it being on 24/7/365 etc.

I cant see many colo providers letting them through the door, and none offering to colo it for less than a 1u box.

• @zhuanyi said: @ErrantWeb: Is a cheap dedi better than a high end VPS though?

No. At least not that one.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

Colocation isn't really designed for low end hardware.

Now, put a bunch of these in a custom 1U chassis with a power bar and a network switch inside, and it might become worthwhile (you could probably fit a small network switch, a power strip or 2, and ~6 of them with 1 usb hd on each on the usual 1U 1amp colo datacenters offer).

From the datacenters point of view it's a normal 1U server with 1 power plug and 1 network plug. :P

Look at that, they deadpooled.

I believe they were in a S&D datacenter bought by Equinix, and Equinix probably didn't like their rack full of exposed power boards with tons of plugs on them exposed like that.

Fire marshal may not have liked it either.

Thus my suggestion for a custom chassis for these.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Yep there's no such thing as LowEndColo :), it wold have to be like what @ramnet described to even make it worthwhile. I know the mac mini's that some companies Colo they fit 4 or 6 of them into 1U.

Rackable also makes a short depth 1U server and some have set these up back to back to get 84 in a 42U cabinet.

Gotta remember Colo can cost at least 75 or more for 1U of space, and I'd want a lockable cabinet for something that small in case someone decided it was a unused power brick lol.