Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap server or VPS with high amounth of CPU(dedicated) for ffmpeg
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap server or VPS with high amounth of CPU(dedicated) for ffmpeg

klaasiklaasi Member
edited January 2014 in Help

Dear All,

I'm going to convert (continualy) a big amounth of video files with ffmpeg to .mp4, for which I need 5 to 10 servers (perhaps even more). I'm not sure what the best hardware setup is for ffmpeg, but as far as I know ffmpeg eats CPU. So the more CPU power I have the better. (as GPU doesn't work yet that well with ffmpeg/h.264, as far as i know...)

untill so far i found the following cheap CPU servers:

hetzner
4cores/8threads /Turbo 3.9 GHz | 4x3.4 GHz = 13.6 or 4x3.9 GHz = 15.6 GHz
Around 45-50 euro

serverforyou
8 Cores, 8x 2.3 GHz = 18.4Ghz
Around 55-60 euro

ovh / soyoustart
4cores / 8threads / Turbo 3.8 GHz= 4x3.4 GHz = 13.6 or 4x3.8 GHz = 15.2 GHz
Around 55-60 euro

Budget ~500 euro a month:

10 servers Hetzner |500 euro = 15.6*10 = 156Ghz

8 servers Serverforyou |480 euro = 18.4*8 = 147.2Ghz

8 server OVH-Soyoustart|480 euro *(setup costs not included)= 121.6Ghz

*For Hetzer en Serverforyou I have no setup costs
*Speed above is with Turbo enabled, not sure yet when Turbo kicks in?

So i don't care about RAM or much HDD space (i think), only CPU and bandwidth (as the video files need to be downloaded, encoded and resend).

So far my choice is hetzner because they allow me higher bandwidth speed (1Gbit) and free income traffic.

Are there any other companies in EU that have cheap CPU like above? The servers will have heavy CPU all the time...

Comments

• @klaasi said:
    Dear All,

I'm going to convert (continualy) a big amounth of video files with ffmpeg to .mp4, for which I need 5 to 10 servers (perhaps even more). I'm not sure what the best hardware setup is for ffmpeg, but as far as I know ffmpeg eats CPU. So the more CPU power I have the better. (as GPU doesn't work yet that well with ffmpeg/h.264, as far as i know...)

hetzner
    Around 45-50 euro

serverforyou
    Around 55-60 euro

ovh / soyoustart
    Around 55-60 euro

So i don't care about RAM or much HDD space (i think), only CPU and bandwidth (as the video files need to be downloaded, encoded and resend).

So far my choice is hetzner because they allow me higher bandwidth speed (1Gbit) and free income traffic.

Are there any other companies in EU that have cheap CPU like above? The servers will have heavy CPU all the time...

How about oneprovider in FR. They have 4 core @ 2.66ghz (8 thread) x3450 for 27 euro a month each....

• Just measuring by GHZ alone is a poor metric as newer processors like E3 will out perform an L5420.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

said: (as GPU doesn't work yet that well with ffmpeg/h.264, as far as i know...)

Ivy Bridge CPU series have great Intel graphics subsystem on chip. With correct setup under Windows with intel api you can transcode/decode up to 10 HD channels in real time. My guess is E3 series then, nothing else

Thanked by 1klaasi
  • If you are just looking for RAW cpu power then Hetzner's i7 4770 pretty much outperforms SYS or server4you servers

• @klaasi said:
    Dear All,

hetzner
    Around 45-50 euro

serverforyou
    Around 55-60 euro

ovh / soyoustart
    Around 55-60 euro

online.net do E3's for 35 euro each. Probably your best option for performance / price

Thanked by 1klaasi
  • klaasiklaasi Member
    edited January 2014

Ow yes online.net has a nice cheap server with high CPU (*Intel® 1x Xeon® E3 1220 Architecture 4 coeurs 4 threads @ 3.5Ghz cache L3 8Mo, x64, VT) for 30 euro (excluding TAX i guess) THX for the nice tip!

• @klaasi said:
    Ow yes online.net has a nice cheap server with high CPU (*Intel® 1x Xeon® E3 1220 Architecture 4 coeurs 4 threads @ 3.5Ghz cache L3 8Mo, x64, VT) for 30 euro (excluding TAX i guess) THX for the nice tip!

The e3 1230v2 is probably a better option for 5 euro more

e3 1220v2 passmark = 6505
    e3 1230v2 passmark = 8897

• klaasiklaasi Member
    edited January 2014

@sc754

Yes you're right! (5.5 euro more) I'm going to order a test server now to test how it works...

• user123user123 Member
    edited January 2014

@klaasi Is line speed an important factor in all this? If not, how is your home/work internet connection? If you are planning to continue this project for a while, I imagine that you would save quite a bit of money (and end up with some hardware that you could either repurpose or resell at the end of it) if you bought the hardware yourself and hosted it locally at home/work (assuming it's a work-related project).

• M_yM_y Member

I recommend take a look at benchmarks from here. I was used aws compute optimized instances for ffmeg.

• What is the original video encoding?

• You must have a lot of videos to need a dedicated server. A few DO droplets might work for you if running 24/7. AWS EC2 would work, you can easily script instance creation and encoding the video then killing the instance. Many of the big encoding sites rely on EC2 compute power.

• klaasiklaasi Member
    edited January 2014

@elwebmaster said:
    What is the original video encoding?

1080P video, so it's heavy...

@Flux
    AWS seems more expensive then having a few online.net servers. (Aldo I never checked them out so still thx!) Untill now i'm really happy with the online.net test server. Running around 90fps for a highres 1080P video. For ~1.2euro a day = 0,05 euro a hour (because AWS shows pricing in hours ;) )

• @klaasi if not already, benchmark using the --threads option to ffmpeg and consider using a ramdisk if disk IO is the bottleneck

• I heard that OpenCL support was added in version 2.0 on ffmpeg, so a GPU could be used
    We have a dedicated server with a Nvidia Quadro 2000D card

also, did anyone hear about Badaboom?