Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain registrar - special offer to cover x amount of years?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain registrar - special offer to cover x amount of years?

Hi all, I believe there was a website around that had a list of coupons for various registrars but I don't seem to be able to find it?

I was hoping to find one that allows you to register the tld at a special rate for x amount of years?

I see register.com had a special on but it was only for the first year.

Thanks.

Comments

• http://www.domainpricemonitor.com is the one i normally use

• Probably the site I was referring to but 404 for me? @prae5

• Was working last week - maybe they are doing upgrades / maint this weekend

• It's been broken quite a bit lately. I've just switched to NameSilo for all my domain purchases, free WhoisGuard and reasonably priced renewals/transfers. There's a $1 off coupon floating around as well.

• yes namesilo +1. my sig has the coupon for the $1. have fun

• namecheap for life !

• nobody uses internet.bs? I find it cheap as well with free whois guard

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @ahmiq said:
    nobody uses internet.bs? I find it cheap as well with free whois guard

Keep in mind that they are not in comply with ICANN rules. For example: Enabling whois-guard disables the transfer-ability of a domain even with correctly provided auth-key.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @skagerrak that sounds kind of logical. The new registrar needs to receive the correct whois data (not hidden). So you must "unhide" the domain before you can transfer it.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@rds100 said:
    skagerrak that sounds kind of logical. The new registrar needs to receive the correct whois data (not hidden). So you must "unhide" the domain before you can transfer it.

No not at all. ICANN states that no matter how the WHOIS-record looks like the Registrar of Record (Internet.bs in this case) must allow the transfer, which they don't do.

In the event that a Transfer Contact listed in the Whois has not confirmed their request to transfer with the Registrar of Record and the Registrar of Record has not explicitly denied the transfer request, the default action will be that the Registrar of Record must allow the transfer to proceed.

Internet.bs, however, does deny any transfer automatically if you have turned on whois-guard.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @skagerrak what about other registrars? Do they allow transfer if you use private whois? I don't know myself since i never use private whois.
    My idea was that if they transfer the domain, they will also need to transmit your details to the new registrar and they have agreed to not give your details to anyone without a court order when you got the private whois.

• @rds100 said:
    skagerrak what about other registrars? Do they allow transfer if you use private whois? I don't know myself since i never use private whois.

They should because the transfer has nothing to do with how the Registrar of Record keeps the record updated. The transfer process is a standardised process with standarddised messages. The Registrar of Record has to make sure that those messages get redirected to the domain holder.

Internet.bs simply seems to fill in the WHOIS-Info with pseudo-Information. That's not how it's supposed to work. They must at least make sure that the email-address of the contact is available for transfer-proceedings.

This is how Namecheap's Whoisguard does it. Messages according to the ICANN-transfer-protocol are submitted to the domain-holder. (You can test this by sending the FOA with the correct Re:-line to a Whoisguard-protected domain-holder address, it will be delivered immediately.)

My idea was that if they transfer the domain, they will also need to transmit your details to the new registrar and they have agreed to not give your details to anyone without a court order when you got the private whois.

The private whois Internet.bs provides should not interfere with ICANN-rules. The transfer of a domain is a scenario where the Gaining registrar is priviledged. They do not need to exchange registrar information. The Gaining Registrar's duty is to make sure to identify the domain holder. The way he does that is up to him.

Thanked by 2rds100 Mark_R
  • @skagerrak said:

hmm tx for the info , what about namesilo , is it the same?

• skagerrak said: Internet.bs simply seems to fill in the WHOIS-Info with pseudo-Information. That's not how it's supposed to work. They must at least make sure that the email-address of the contact is available for transfer-proceedings.

I have my domains at internet.bs with whois privacy enabled, and they do forward the email that's sent to the email address in the whois record to me.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@david said:
    I have my domains at internet.bs with whois privacy enabled, and they do forward the email that's sent to the email address in the whois record to me.

Interesting. They don't do that for my domains. I even had to enquire their support who admitted that the private-whois has to be deactivated and the already initiated transfer has to be repeated.

Which privacy-mode did you set? Full privacy or partly private?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • skagerrak said: Interesting. They don't do that for my domains. I even had to enquire their support who admitted that the private-whois has to be deactivated and the already initiated transfer has to be repeated.

Which privacy-mode did you set? Full privacy or partly private?

It's full privacy. Now I'm not sure whether or not they allow transfers with the privacy activated. I haven't tried to transfer anything out of internet.bs.

I'm just saying that the email address on the whois records with privacy enabled works fine. I just tested it again just now and received the email forwarded to me right away.

• Think of the base price: $7-$8/year is what a domain registrar pay to ICANN.