Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Latency Providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low Latency Providers?

ToadKingToadKing Member
edited March 2012 in General

I've recently picked up a box from BuyVM and set up a web and Mumble server on it, and it works well enough. However, there are several users on my Mumble server who's connections to the server are very flaky. They constantly get dropped packets and sound quality goes with them. Even after disabling the web server on it (which only gets a handful of hits a day) the problem persisted.

Does anyone know of any providers that have stable internet connections, especially for something as low latency as a Mumble server? Preferably one not on the west coast, but more like something in Dallas or Chicago.

Comments

• Anyone using Wholesale Internet or Datashack in Kansas City... right in the middle of what you're wanting.

• @DotVPS said: Dallas - Loomhost

Thanks, they look promising!

@DotVPS said: Okay then i guess I'd recommend EaseVPS then I've been using them for 2 months nearly and the network is pretty nice.

They look like they're in a little better place, but their lowest plan (512MB@$7.99) is a little too much for extra RAM I don't need.

• I'd be willing to let you try out a VPS in Dallas hosted at Colo4.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ToadKing said: However, there are several users on my Mumble server who's connections to the server are very flaky.

Were you on node15 by chance?

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Were you on node15 by chance?

Nope, node16. I've filed a couple support tickets about this but I got responses that said it's issues with their ISPs.

The issue is some users have relatively fine connections while others have really bad ones, even if they live close to each other. (That second one had TCP Mode on which is why they have less dropped packets.)

• AbhishekAbhishek Member
    edited March 2012

I have a mumble server on hostigation LAX, with 15 daily active users. None of them have reported any issue in a month now.

Now that I think, it makes more sense to buy something in central part of USA, that way everyone has low latency (60-80).

However if your audience has Eu users too, get something on East Coast.

• @Abhishek said: Now that I think, it makes more sense to buy something in central part of USA, that way everyone has low latency (60-80).

>

However if your audience has Eu users too, get something on East Coast.

Yeah, I didn't realize Kansas City had some colos in them, I figured my best bet was Dallas or Chicago. All my users are either US or Canada (except for one one Irish user who's grown to deal with shitty connections) so the Kansas City ones would be the best bet, with maybe Chicago a second choice.

I'll be looking around some more tomorrow and probably try a service out then.

• Feel free to give 69.162.126.5 a ping test for Dallas IP-wise ;)

• @Boltersdriveer said: Feel free to give 69.162.126.5 a ping test for Dallas IP-wise ;)

56~58 here, but I'm not sure if it would be better for my other users. I know at least a couple are in or around Calgary and a handful of them (inc. me) are around Detroit. Those are the two main extremes, would a Dallas/Kansas City host be my best choice, or would there be any good hosts located a little farther north? (Like Minneapolis or somewhere.)

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited March 2012

Gotta recommend @ErrantWeb – 54-55ms to Detroit-Metro from my crappy cable connection in Nova Scotia. I'm not sure if any of his old offers still list an active test server, but it might be worth checking into: I know I get disproportionately better latency to my Errant VPS than to any of my Chicago VPSes.

Thanked by 1SrvisLLC
  • JacobJacob Member

Certainly, We have the LEB Offer which is still valid, We have also Launched a UK Location so if you want to expand to Europe/UK then It's simple! :-) We also have our own hardware in the UK and a Bigger Bandwidth Pool that would ever be available in Kansas City or Jacksonville.

@DotVPS said: (512MB@$7.99) is a little too much for extra RAM I don't need.

They have a LEB offer... $3.99 ;)

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2012

yeah for some reason my ping to errantweb is much better than chicago, and I live in urbana, il, at a university with multiple direct links to chicago

Thanked by 1SrvisLLC
  • @ToadKing said: The issue is some users have relatively fine connections while others have really bad ones, even if they live close to each other.

Second one should do a traceroute...

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited March 2012

Thanks @MrDOS and @kbar

@ToadKing said:
    Does anyone know of any providers that have stable internet connections, especially for something as low latency as a Mumble server? Preferably one not on the west coast, but more like something in Dallas or Chicago.

We provide low latency servers for those locations that you specified from our Metro-Detroit location. You can ping: det.errantweb.com to see how we compare with the rest of the providers.

We have no issues running Voice ( Murmur / Teamspeak ) or VOIP servers. Also game servers run good too, both being latency affected services.

We can do custom quotes on plans also.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Weird, I use ventrilo with Chicago VPS and no issues so far

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited March 2012

@ToadKing said: 56~58 here, but I'm not sure if it would be better for my other users. I know at least a couple are in or around Calgary and a handful of them (inc. me) are around Detroit. Those are the two main extremes, would a Dallas/Kansas City host be my best choice, or would there be any good hosts located a little farther north? (Like Minneapolis or somewhere.)

Just noticed you said your around Detroit from Sterling Heights, MI to the ErrantWeb servers I get 18ms ping on average. To give you a idea. ( That's over Comcast's Home Internet )