Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone running Jenkins on VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone running Jenkins on VPS?

Thinking about 2048-3072 OpenVZ VPS as a build machine. Would that be possible? Or would i get kicked out because of TOS breach?

Anyone running Jenkins on any of the providers?

Comments

• Yes, I am. No real problems.

• Depending on what you're compiling, you'll probably get pinched for cpu abuse. But some providers don't pay attention until some other client complains.

• Usually if Jenkins is just doing bursty CPU use, nobody cares. If you're running a bunch of automated builds 24x7, it will probably become an issue. In that case, you should probably think about some dedicated hardware.

For my projects, I have builds that run once every few hours on weekdays—even if it spikes the CPU for 5-10 minutes at a time, I've never had any complaints, even on the cheapest VPSes I'm using.

• vemacsvemacs Member
    edited January 2014

I haven't had any issues running Jenkins off of a http://openvz.io/ VPS. The builds aren't that often (about one every 45 mins), but it's cheap and does the job just fine. Also ran JIRA for a short while too, no issues either.

• You could use @drserver abusivecores where you can use 100% cpu all day if I remember correctly.

• Leroy Jenkins?

Thanked by 1catalystium
  • I ran Jenkins on a Digital Ocean vps just for testing Ruby on Rails apps. On the 512 MB plan, worked just fine. However, it was slower thans the locan build machine i now use, but that was expected...

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@catalystium thank you for mentioning. You are right you can run your thread at 100% all day long

• yes, cpu might be an issue, especially if i'll decide to run some integration tests.

So.. to rephrase my question - any non expensive dedicated server providers that would be reliable? Kimsufi?

• @gerasalus - Delimiter has some cheap Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB disk for $20/month (paid quarterly) or $30/month (paid month-to-month). See here

FYI - I grabbed one of these servers personally to play with just after Christmas, its running Bamboo (Atlassian's CI system). Its running fine, 16GB is a pile of RAM to run compiles and their heavy java apps.

• gerasalus said: So.. to rephrase my question - any non expensive dedicated server providers that would be reliable? Kimsufi?

We've got these (http://lowendbox.com/blog/fliphost-49-month-dual-intel-xeon-l5520-dedicated-server-in-dallas/) too if you need some good CPU power on the cheap.