Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS enables IPv6 -- trouble configuring [Solved]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS enables IPv6 -- trouble configuring [Solved]

anincoganincog Member
edited March 2012 in Help

I'm thrilled to see that announcement EDIS sent out about the general availability of IPv6 at all their KVM locations. I have however had some trouble setting it up on my Debian KVM. I thought I'd ask here before asking support.

I've added the following to /etc/network/interfaces:
iface eth0 inet6 static address x netmask 112 gateway 2a00:1a28:1251::1 dns-nameservers 2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844

(x is the address as informed by EDIS). After a reboot, any attempt to ping6 any known IPv6 address gives "Network unreachable". During boot I see "eth0: no IPv6 routers present". Any ideas?

Comments

• flyfly Member

probably because they haven't finished setting up the routers?

• could be, did anyone open a ticket ?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2012

@anincog change the netmask to 48.
    And just to verify that everything is setup correctly - after reboot do:
    ip -6 a
    ip -6 r

and see if it makes sense.

• anincoganincog Member
    edited March 2012

@rds100: That worked. But strangely, EDIS informed me to use "x/112" (with x being my address). Am I misunderstanding something? (I'm new to IPv6).

Edit: I meant x/112, not x/48 of course.

• netmask 48 worked for me! thanks.. why did that work though ?

• Because the network is a /48, you get a /112 (which means you can use all variations of 2 byte hex after the last : in the ipv6 address). Don't know why they wrote the netmask should be /112 - probably it was a mistake.

• They actually wrote

In addition to every KVM product you'll be assigned an IPv4 equivalent /112 IPv6 network (roughly 65.000 IPv6 addresses) to be used with your VPS.

• Ah, right, OK. I took the information from the KVM management page, where it simply says

IPv6 Address: x/112

and got confused. Thanks for the help.

• @gsrdgrdghd that makes sense. /112 is 2a00:1a28:1251:A:B:C:D:XXXX
    where you can vary XXXX

• Hello,

Yes, the netmask is /48 in all locations, with the network ASSIGNED being a /112, which is roughly 65k IPs when i did read my CIDR chart here at the wall correctly :p

• anincoganincog Member
    edited March 2012

@William: Thanks. You know, this shows how great a service you guys provide. Here I go to LowEndTalk because I suspect that I myself might be the cause of my problems, and I don't want to bother support just yet. But what happens? Oh, support chases me down and helps me anyway. :D

Also, thanks for IPv6! Coupled with your new SE location and KVM, I've found my perfect provider.

• flyfly Member

anyone know how to do this in debian?
    Was ezpz in freebsd but debian wiki blows:(

• @kbar said: anyone know how to do this in debian?

Just do the same thing @anincog described in the original post ( but with 48 instead of 112)

• Yes, what I did works fine (and seems to be the right way to do it). But note, you may have to replace the gateway with the info you got from EDIS (it's in the KVM admin tool).

Also, apparently you're not guaranteed that the network device comes back up correctly when using /etc/init.d/networking restart. A reboot is perhaps best.

• Yep they're correct they're using /112's as host ip's I don't agree with that on principle a /128 is a single, but giving users /127's should be sufficient for many servers and for average users is probably overkill.

• @FRCorey they are also doing this for ease of administration. If you just give people individual IPs or /127 or /126 or... it becomes really hard to track. It makes sense for KVM to give a subnet on a 16bit boundary (i.e. /112 like in this case).

• flyfly Member

no like i dont know the format of the entry. its not very intuitive and i couldn't grok the debian wiki

• Agreed, Comcast is annoying in that they're giving out /128's which does suck if you want other computers using V6 in the house.

Once this guy gets his connection working I'm curious how well Google's V6 DNS Servers work.

Now what's interesting is that this made me go look at www.comcast6.net and they're deploying v6 nationally now instead of test markets! So it begins.

Now to yell at cPanel that they need to firm up their ipv6 support along with SNI support.

• @FRCorey : Am I "this guy"? In that case, what would you like me to test? I only just now realized that the IPv6 DNS servers EDIS provided were Google's.

• Yes, we use Googles DNS - I use them at home for a longer time now (both v4 and v6) and never had issues, they also use anycast which makes it fast from any of our locations and used by many which guarantees throughout monitoring by the Google staff.
    You are free to use for example HEs or any other DNS servers.

We mainly use /112s since the administration overhead is zero - The IPv6 range can be automatically generated out of the v4 and if someone wants more than 1 IP you can use them.
    It also requires us to "waste" only a /48 which is rather easy to get at any datacenter without much justification filling.

For the record, here are the commands that i used for testing at Debian, in this case for a fictive Austrian IP (please, do not paste it simply into a shell - change the IP....).

ip r a 2a03:0f80:ed15::/48 dev eth0
    ip -6 addr add 2a03:f80:ed15:149:154:156:254:1/64 dev eth0
    ip -6 r a 0::0/0 via 2a03:0f80:ed15::1

• How is edis going to handle reverse dns for ipv6 ? anyone know?

• Simple:
    We do not provide rdns for IPv6.
    It may follow in future, it is on my todo, but surely not before mid 2013 since i think it is not important at all currently.

• @anincog You're This Guy :)

Preferrably I will run my on v6 DNS servers because I like control, but how well does Google's DNS servers work for you on v6?

• No issues with Googles DNS - neither v4 nor v6.
    They just plain and simple work.

• @William
    Does every kvm have 65000 IPv6 addresses?
    For example
    IPv6 Range is:2a01:7a0:10:xxx:xxx:xxx:xx:0/112
    I could ping6 2a01:7a0:10:xxx:xxx:xxx:xx:0 from another vps,but if I change the variations such as 2a01:7a0:10:xxx:xxx:xxx:xx:1,it didn't wok.

• @hiphiphip said: Does every kvm have 65000 IPv6 addresses?

Yes, this should work without issues - I'd say its a configuration error ;)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Did you ip addr add 2a01:7a0:10:xxx:xxx:xxx:xx:1/112 dev <device> on the VPS you're trying to ping, first? Because it does not "have" all 65k IPs by default, it only means you can ip addr add those IPs from that range that you plan to actually use.

Thanked by 1hiphiphip
  • rds100rds100 Member

it should be ip -6 addr add 2a01:7a0:10:xxx:xxx:xxx:xx:1/48 dev eth0

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@rds100 yeah, but as long as you have at least 1 IP added there as a /48, it will add the route, and the rest can be even added as /128, it won't matter.

• @rm_ Do I need to add them one by one?
    like this:
    ip addr add 2a01:7a0:10:xxx:xxx:xxx:xx:1/112
    ip addr add 2a01:7a0:10:xxx:xxx:xxx:xx:2/112

I don't know whether @William would stab me if I add all 65000 IPv6 addresses.:D