Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ninjahawk Refugee - Wants: Dallas, SSD, Fast network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ninjahawk Refugee - Wants: Dallas, SSD, Fast network

Guys,

I was pretty happy with my Ninjahawk VPS before the abrupt changes. Now I need to replace it with something a little bit closer to me. I got spoiled with the low pings, and am looking for something similarly responsive. Primary purpose of the VPS will be proxy surfing when away from home, VPS node monitoring, and some very light mysql/nginx.

So, let me know what you have in Dallas, and preferably an endpoint that I can do some validation of latency/speed. Standard LEB parameters apply ($7 and under a month). I am open to half or full year purchase at a time if you don't throw any red flags on my sketchiness meter.

Comments

• Unfortunately we don't have Dallas, but we do have Pheonix or Chicago if either location works for you.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Lowendspirit

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@TheRealJason We have servers in Dallas, Check links in my signature.
    If you find something that suits you let me know so i can prepare you test period for you.

For some reasons my signature is cropped by itself:

Here are Link1 , Link2 and Link3

• GuanYuGuanYu Member
    edited January 2014

@drserver use normal signatures like the rest of community. It's fucking annoying to see more text in signature than post above sig.

Thanked by 2Rockster FrankZ

@GuanYu Ok. I will remove my signature as it is annoying.

• What happened to Ninjahawk aside from getting bought? Why do you have to leave?

• MunMun Member
    edited January 2014

They are more expensive but Catalysthost should do the job.

http://catalysthost.com/

review: http://www.lowendhelp.com/catalyst-host-review/

• PM sent. We have SSD in Dallas.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2014

@HardCloud - Where are hostnuns when you need them? :D

• @FrankZ said:
    HardCloud - Where are hostnuns where you need them? :D

@HostNun

:P

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
  • Would SSD accelerated be okay?

• @Jack said:
    SSD accelerated?

SSD accelerated is a marketing term for SSD cached.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @GreenValueHost said:
    SSD accelerated is a marketing term for SSD cached.

FlashCache isn't SSD-Caching (just in case you were using this.) Only real CacheCade is, and even then; you can use 1x 32GB SSD and called it "cached" when it's really good for just about nothing at that small size except for the odd spike in I/O.

• @HardCloud said:
    FlashCache isn't SSD-Caching (just in case you were using this.) Only real CacheCade is, and even then; you can use 1x 32GB SSD and called it "cached" when it's really good for just about nothing at that small size except for the odd spike in I/O.

No. This is why there's so much confusion. FlashCache is a form of SSD Cache. So is BCache. Whether you have read cache or read/write cache is a different story. There's also MaxCache from Adaptec.

Besides, what you're saying is someone can also use low grade SSD that has similar to HDD speeds and call it SSD VPS. There's always variations and hence pricing too.

• @concerto49 said:
    Besides, what you're saying is someone can also use low grade SSD that has similar to HDD speeds and call it SSD VPS. There's always variations and hence pricing too.

This is very true.

Either way, I only trust MegaRAID CacheCade with 2x PRO SSD in RAID1 240GB+, or equiv. (configured as both a read and write cache.) FlashCache, BCache and the other "OpenVZ Only" or "special configuration required" caches have always lead to nightmares from my experience.

Also, isn't Adaptec's MaxCache more like CacheVault? (not an actual cache, but a BBU)

• @HardCloud said:
    Also, isn't Adaptec's MaxCache more like CacheVault? (not an actual cache, but a BBU)

No. Adaptec does have an equiv of CacheVault, but the equiv. of CacheCade is MaxCache.

@HardCloud said:
    FlashCache, BCache and the other "OpenVZ Only" or "special configuration required" caches

No, this is just a software solution. You haven't seen CacheCade fail :) We've had more CacheCade failures and they've resulted in total disasters.

• @concerto49 said:
    No, this is just a software solution. You haven't seen CacheCade fail :) We've had more CacheCade failures and they've resulted in total disasters.

Really? I've only had a single SSD fail, hence using RAID1 at the very least on the cache itself. Have you had the CacheCade module itself fail?

• @HardCloud said:
    Really? I've only had a single SSD fail, hence using RAID1 at the very least on the cache itself. Have you had the CacheCade module itself fail?

The VD would just disappear on reboot. Have seen it randomly happen quite a few times.

• @concerto49 said:
    The VD would just disappear on reboot. Have seen it randomly happen quite a few times.

Wouldn't you notice that pretty quickly though? :P I watch all my reboots in IPMI, (as I don't reboot servers unless something is REALLY wrong to begin with...)

• @vampireJ said:
    What happened to Ninjahawk aside from getting bought? Why do you have to leave?

Well, I really did like the guys at Ninjahawk. They were always very helpful, reasonable, and good.

To answer your question though, it's mainly location. When they got purchased, they also moved the VPSs to their equipment, which means no more 9ms ping times. I don't have anything at all against the new provider, except for the ridiculously short "notification of move" time, which apparently is pretty common in this world!

• @HardCloud said:
    Wouldn't you notice that pretty quickly though? :P I watch all my reboots in IPMI, (as I don't reboot servers unless something is REALLY wrong to begin with...)

Yeah and the VD just disappears with no way of recovering. All data goes. (Well there *is a way but way not fun).