Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi as (Local) DNS Server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi as (Local) DNS Server

2»

Comments

• joodle said: websites seems to load faster now also using a local DNS Server instead of using an external one hosted at a VPS :)

The difference with local caching, or that VPS was very slow/far away, or the placebo effect. My vote is for #3 :)

• @joodle said:
    Everything is working fine on my RPi, websites seems to load faster now also using a local DNS Server instead of using an external one hosted at a VPS :)

Are You using BIND?

• I use a raspberry PI as my DNS server at home with maybe 3-4 devices and it works just fine. (But why go through that much effort to block ads, why not just use ad block?)

• They have adblock for Android, right?

I think the only reason I would run a local DNS server (that isn't on my router) is either 1) Caching DNS queries or 2) Test environment.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    I use a raspberry PI as my DNS server at home with maybe 3-4 devices and it works just fine. (But why go through that much effort to block ads, why not just use ad block?)

Ad block for android requires a rooted device