Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Backup Day - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

World Backup Day

Comments

• @Damian said: Ah, I wish you luck on your endeavor then. We've been trying to break into that market since 2003. We started our VPS market 10 months ago and it's surpassed 9 years of small business hosting.

I hear ya, but it also depends on how you advertise locally as well. Hint: develop radio station websites, they will advertise for you for free. (Bartering works). I made a killing from those clients they brought in.

• @subigo said: If your data isn't worth $30/month, just use an external drive at home

I have less than 2gb of website data to back up.
    Running a PC (using 100w) at home costs ~$7/month at $0.09/kw, why do that when you could grab for about the same amount of money?:
    1 hostigation backup vps (1.33/mo)
    1 buyvm 256 ($3.50/mo)
    1 securedragon 25gb backup vps ($1.99/mo)

• @subigo said: Get a low-end Windows VPS, transfer backups to Backblaze through it. Problem solved.

Or, just use CrashPlan with native Linux support.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: Running a PC (using 100w) at home costs ~$7/month at $0.09/kw, why do that when you could grab for about the same amount of money?:

What? I'm not saying setup a whole PC for backups... get an external drive and plug it in when you need it.

• fanfan Veteran

Currently DropBox is quite enough for all my backup need. Also I have a buyvm's free backup space.

• AsimAsim Member

@fan how do you backup to dropbox, do they have an API?

• fanfan Veteran

I use this http://www.andreafabrizi.it/?dropbox_uploader, as the official dropbox client takes about 100mb of ram on Linux.

Thanked by 1Andri
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@subigo said: If your data isn't worth $30/month, just use an external drive at home.

Downloading a backup to home isn't a big deal. But if one of my VPSes was ever lost, uploading it back would take days. Most people have fat down pipes but thin up pipes.

@Asim said: by the way a 10GB backup on s3 costs me $0.33/mo .... pretty cheap

Yeah, Asim, I think S3 has a real play in this area. All inbound bandwidth is free. So you backup all you want, and you only pay for bandwidth if you need a restore which hopefully is infrequent or never.

Is there an easy way to rsync to S3? Other than s3rsync.com, which is a paid service? I know you can mount s3fs via fuse. Perhaps mount and rsync to it with a bwlimit? I haven't play with fuse in OvZ.

One other interesting point...Amazon charges a penny per 1,000 operations. Not much if you're putting a tarball every day, but if you rsync thousands of files, this could end up costing a lot more than the actual storage. MS Azure has similar pricing, though it's only every 10,000 operations. However, Rackspace Files has no per-file charge - only the GBs stored. I don't know if there are decent libraries for Rackspace yet.

I've been using Azure, as I get 30GB free with MSDN. I feel kinda weird uploading files to it with perl, but...:-)

BTW, if you use S3 or Azure, check out Gladinet Desktop or Cloudberry. Both are nice Windows desktop apps for exploring your files.

@lele0108 said: Or, just use CrashPlan with native Linux support.

I use CrashPlan at home, but you can't run the Linux client on a LEB.

On CentOS 6 at home:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND 5358 root 20 0 1979m 140m 9480 S 13.0 1.8 554:27.30 java

One other interesting service is tarsnap. Too expensive for VPS backups, but for personal files, it's interesting.

Finally, if you don't mind hacking a bit, you can store 1GB of stuff on SimpleDB on Amazon for free. It's a database, but it can store anything.

• @subigo said: get an external drive and plug it in when you need it.

So take an automated task and make it manual, injecting human error.

• @miTgiB said: So take an automated task and make it manual, injecting human error.

FFS... yes. If you're worried about a few dollars in electricity to the point of not leaving your computer on all the time, yes, just manually download your oh-so-important Wordpress blog to an external HD. Why the hell would someone pay $7/month for a backup VPS when they could just keep their PC on? Are people on this forum seriously so poor that $7/month is a struggle between keeping your computer on or not? It's just getting a bit ridiculous around here. Do you have important files that need to be backed up? Pay some money. Is it a blog with ten visitors a day? Freaking just back it up when you think about it.

• @subigo said: people on this forum seriously so poor that $7/month is a struggle between keeping your computer on or not?

@dmmcintyre3 said: 1 hostigation backup vps (1.33/mo)

1 buyvm 256 ($3.50/mo)
    1 securedragon 25gb backup vps ($1.99/mo)

I think @dmmcintyre3 already proved your logic is flawed. Your suggestion is to manually do this, and let's face it, people are lazy, backups will be forgotten, so who's being cheap now? Or poor, not sure which you are trying to blame the forum of being.

• @miTgiB said: I think @dmmcintyre3 already proved your logic is flawed. Your suggestion is to manually do this, and let's face it, people are lazy, backups will be forgotten, so who's being cheap now? Or poor, not sure which you are trying to blame the forum of being.

No, my suggestion was to use an external HD if you can't afford a decent backup server. And then my suggestion was to do it manually if you're that worried about a $7/month electric bill. I also stated I wouldn't go putting important backups on a budget VPS.

• I wasn't saying $7/month on the electric bill was an issue, just that there is better ways to spend the same amount of money.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: I wasn't saying $7/month on the electric bill was an issue, just that there is better ways to spend the same amount of money.

Most people keep their computers on 24/7 anyway, so it wouldn't be an extra expense. That's all I'm saying.

• @subigo said: I also stated I wouldn't go putting important backups on a budget VPS.

Cuz the hundreds of days of uptime you regularly get from myself, buyvm, securedragon and a handful of other providers in the LEB market make it a space of slackers?

Backups are like Doritos, don't worry, they'll make more, so who cares if they get whiped out, keep secondary and tertiary copies.

• @miTgiB said: Cuz the hundreds of days of uptime you regularly get from myself, buyvm, securedragon and a handful of other providers in the LEB market make it a space of slackers?

It depends on how important your data is. But like I said in my first post, it doesn't matter, because the majority of those companies are out of stock 90% of the time.

• LOL. $7/month for electricity to power a USB harddrive? Haha. What? The disks made of iron?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@speckl said: LOL. $7/month for electricity to power a USB harddrive? Haha. What? The disks made of iron?

The PC to power it takes $7/month

But a small atom-based laptop could do the same job. All you need is a brain that can run rsync/ftp/scp/whatever.

• Don't forget Livedrive.

• AsimAsim Member

@miTgiB said: keep secondary and tertiary copies.

Exactly ... +1

• NickWNickW Member

I'm currently running an on-demand micro EC2 instance at Amazon 24/7 (~$6 per month) which rsyncs stuff to an S3QL file system. I was using S3FS, but found that it was using much more disk I/O on the mounted S3 drive and costing a fortune in requests http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing for my use.

I'm looking to snap up a BuyVM storage plan if possible though to simplify life :).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@Daniel said: I don't trust other host with my data.

Indeed.
    I also setup more than one place for back-up, more sets and incremental ones. 2TB drives used to be cheap and are now coming back to lower prices, I use consumer grade ones for backups in the philosophy that if I have 2 backups in two places on cheaper drives and more likely to fail than only one on less prone to failure drives at the same price both in power and drives, then I feel better with the 2 places solution.
    I mean, I have atom computers with software raid 5 that shut down drives when there is no I/O for 150 min in 2 separate floors for backup. All 10 drives are cheap and green but slow Samsungs 2 tb sata 2 drives. OS is on flash. Backing up takes a long time if full set, but incremental is less than 15 minutes. I use dar and incremental backups are done every hour during workhours alternatively on 3 separate datasets and every weekend full. Worse case scenario, I lose 2 hours of work, if 2 drives or more fail in the same time on one server, or the array gets corrupted beyond repair in a reasonable amount of time while also there is a failure in the main server(s) hardware raid of 2 or more SAN 15k drives.
    Besides a fire, flood or earthquake to knock down the whole building (I do have backups I take home after every new year), there is nothing that could really make a serious loss. I verify backups every week, to see if they do restore perfectly on a small computer, because I did have corrupted back-ups in the past that were reported as successful. I will never forget that and the 3 days work to restore from partial files 110 GBs of data with everyone on my back...
    M

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

With so many VPSs as most people here have I see no reason for paying special for backup service. It's not like most of us (with exception of hosts with sensitive billing data) would host some corporate data or something what secondary and tertiary VPSs wouldn't handle.
    Whatever can be hosted at low end budget vps can be also backuped at low end budget vps (my opinion) -> otherwise I wouldn't use budget vps for hosting in first place.
    My sites/databases are daily auto-transfered (with mail confirmation) to vps which I use for backup + from time to time (once in a week or so) manually to my external HDD.
    The largest point of failure I see rather irregular restoring of backuped datas than irregular making backups themself so from time to time (but not enough often I am afraid) I also restore backuped data on another (test) vps.
    Imho. no one should rely on backups which aren't ever tested/restored.

@Spirit said: Imho. no one should rely on backups which aren't ever tested/restored.

Amen to that !
    M

• @Maounique said: @Daniel said: I don't trust other host with my data.

Then encrypt it before its sent.

That would be even more hassle, but what i meant also is that it may be lost anyway. Servers down, company bankrupt, sudden policy change to hold my data at ransom for a "small" fee, whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. I am very unlucky.
    M

• So I read the whole thread and have not found the awnser, what is the cheapest backup plan for headless Linux?

• Thanks man

Reshared everywhere :D

• @bijan588 said: So I read the whole thread and have not found the awnser, what is the cheapest backup plan for headless Linux?

Cheapest/most reliable is probably be Amazon S3 with 10ct/gb

• rethinkvpsrethinkvps Member
    edited March 2012

We are offering a World Backup Day coupon code for all of our VPS packages. Just use the coupon "WBD" when ordering for 15% off the packages. http://rethinkvps.com/vpshosting.php