Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vpn/tunnel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vpn/tunnel

Has anyone got an effective method of using a server as a firewall / tunnel / vpn to mask another server completely? I.e. All requests are passed through the ip/network of server 1 and routed to the ip:port of server 2?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

GRE tunnel?

• itrmikeitrmike Member
    edited January 2014

Could you expand upon the compatibility a bit please. e.g. would I be able to run services on the ip:port of server 1 from server 2?
    Also do you have a tutorial which I can look at somewhere? (Preferably on Debian).
    I'm guessing DDoS protection providers such as BL and Staminus use GRE Tunnels?

• edited January 2014

Well on windows I've got it to work great via ssh tunneling. You go to internet properties and set up a new LAN connection and set up a local ssh tunnel (with putty) to the server you want to use to mask yourself with. Then connect those two together and you're fully masked!

• if you need to setup a GRE Tunnel this could help you out

http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

• Hmm, > @Mark_R said:

if you need to setup a GRE Tunnel this could help you out

http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

Thanks for the great guide Mark, just what I was looking for!

• Dayum, just realised it won't work with any openvz vps'es I have. Are there any other methods of setting up a tunnel similar to GRE that will support openvz?

• can you create a GRE-Like tunnel using pptpd?

• Mark_R said: can you create a GRE-Like tunnel using pptpd?

Sorry I don't know, I thought OP was looking for standard VPN instructions.

• pkr5770pkr5770 Member
    edited January 2014

sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1;iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport xx -j DNAT --to-destination xx:xx;iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j SNAT --to-source xx;service iptables save; service iptables restart

tcp or udp

dport (port on the reverse proxy)

destination: ip/port you want to proxy the connection to

source: ip of the proxy server

• itrmikeitrmike Member
    edited January 2014

@pkr5770 said:
    sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1;iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport xx -j DNAT --to-destination xx:xx;iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j SNAT --to-source xx;service iptables save; service iptables restart

tcp or udp

dport (port on the reverse proxy)

destination: ip/port you want to proxy the connection to

source: ip of the proxy server

Surely that's missing the creation of the tunnel?

• @itrmike said:
    Surely that's missing the creation of the tunnel?

This method doesn't use tunnels or extra software, just those commands should be enough then you can repeat iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport xx -j DNAT --to-destination xx:xx; to add extra reverse proxies, I use it for certain things because my internet connection uses something called CNAT so I time-out of certain servers every 30seconds, so I do this to use another vps as a middleman, it works on all applications it conceals the identity of the end server, test it and you will see