Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BurstNET announces availability of Xen Linux VPSes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BurstNET announces availability of Xen Linux VPSes

xenuxenu Member
edited March 2012 in Providers

See http://www.burst.net/xenvps.shtml
Note that prices of Linux Xen servers are equal to the prices of Windows Xen ones, I wonder how it is possible :)

Comments

• Probably as they do with openvz, oversell like hell.

• Ew.

I could get a $14.99 KVM VPS over at Hostigation instead, so why would someone bother with Burst.

• @NateN34 said: why would someone bother with Burst.

Think of the children!

• Why was this an important announcement? It is Bustnet, sigh, no one wants burst net. I want to put a server in Scranton, PA (or any of their other oversold locations) about as much as I want to be raped by a rabid dog. If you want Xen get it from a more reputable provider here, you will probably get better, cheaper service. The best part will be its not in a Burstnet data center.

• flyfly Member

actually scranton pa doesnt have bad connectivity

• What connection are they on?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

Well, the offer is good, they have dos protection, good ram, 2 IPs, semi managed, however, they dont allow romanian customers so I never managed to test them directly, tho I was there hosted on other providers and wasnt as bad as ppl say. At least for my (little) needs.
    M

• @Maounique Romania used to be marked as "high risk country" by MaxMind, but this is no longer the case. If they are using MaxMind for the fraud checking you should be OK to order now.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

I just tried a couple of months ago, they asked me for IDs, proof of residence, even bank statement. Even tho I said leave me alone, I wont open up for identity theft, they kept sending me invoice overdue kind of notices even tho at each I was writing them to cancel cause i wont be giving them anything. After a couple of weeks I finally got an answer. I dont feel like trying again even if the risk is lower, no matter for what offer...
    M

• @Maounique said: I just tried a couple of months ago, they asked me for IDs, proof of residence, even bank statement. Even tho I said leave me alone, I wont open up for identity theft, they kept sending me invoice overdue kind of notices even tho at each I was writing them to cancel cause i wont be giving them anything. After a couple of weeks I finally got an answer. I dont feel like trying again even if the risk is lower, no matter for what offer...

I've never had to submit BurstNET anything.

• @Daniel maybe being from the UK helps :)

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2012

@rds100 said: @Daniel maybe being from the UK helps :)

Probably, I've never ever ever had to fill out any of their forms. Just signed up and got my service instantly.

But then the EU forces a fair market. So technically you have to have the same terms for all or something like that.

• @Maounique said: they asked me for IDs, proof of residence, even bank statement. Even tho I said leave me alone

If a webhosting company ever asked me for anything like that i would say one thing. FK OFF!. They have no need for this information and i would not personally trust em with it either.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2012

I ordered one, and I must say i'm surprised.

--2012-03-28 08:06:20-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 140.99.94.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|140.99.94.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.test'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 57.4M/s in 1.7s

2012-03-28 08:06:22 (57.4 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

Only one CPU Core is a shame however

root@30007756:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 44
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 2400.084
    cache size : 12288 KB
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 11
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 sep cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc up rep_good nonstop_tsc pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes hypervisor lahf_lm
    bogomips : 4800.16
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

• Is it Xen PV or Xen HVM? I don't think it is a question worth asking. It must be Xen PV

• @rchurch said: Is it Xen PV or Xen HVM? I don't think it is a question worth asking. It must be Xen PV

Xen PV.

• Can you send email to yahoo using that vps?
    Thanks.

• xenuxenu Member
    edited March 2012

Xen PV.

Funny that for the same price they have Xen HVM with Windows :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said: they asked me for IDs, proof of residence, even bank statement.

@DanielM said: If a webhosting company ever asked me for anything like that i would say one thing. FK OFF!.

I don't find this a problem.. why should it be a problem, to know your customer? years ago, some dedi provider asked me ID and CC scans, and I send it with no problems.

• I believe it's more a profiling issue, in that only certain countries were being asked for the extra verification.

I won't ask someone for proof of ID based on what country they're in... but if they give me a UK address but are connecting from Saudi... yeah, they're going to have to verify that they are who they claim.

• I own a XEN VPS from BurstNET. Support reacts pretty quickly and network speeds are OK as well, even from Europe. However, is there any reason other than overselling the RAID for constant high iopings and slow disk access in general?

I have a bunch of other XEN and KVM VPS and most of them show ioping below 1 ms.

root@hellyeah:/home/pechspilz# ioping /root
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=1 time=9.4 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=44.6 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=50.6 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=24.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=21.6 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=53.5 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=32.2 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=25.2 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=19.5 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=5.4 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=11 time=42.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=12 time=28.9 ms
    4096 bytes from /root (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=13 time=106.4 ms

They want my root pw to check what's running on my server but
    a) my momma always said "boy, don't share that root password with anyone"
    b) there's no process doing heavy (not even moderate) disk IO on this vps. I don't even run a database on it. CPU gets bored around 0-2% max. I'm pretty sure the reason for slow disk IO is not to be found in my VPS.

When I asked them if the VPS could be moved to different node they denied my request.

• rds100rds100 Member

When you see ioping below 1ms this means that the io happens with RAM, not with HDD. There is no mechanical HDD with 1ms access time.

• @rds100 said: When you see ioping below 1ms this means that the io happens with RAM, not with HDD. There is no mechanical HDD with 1ms access time.

What about SSD? I'm getting this with my SSD

4096 bytes from . (hfs /dev/disk0s2): request=1 time=0.0 ms

• rds100rds100 Member

@Daniel SSDs don't have heads that need moving, so they are like RAM.

• @rds100 said: @Daniel SSDs don't have heads that need moving, so they are like RAM.

I remember some SSDs had 0.1ms-0.5ms.

• AmitzAmitz Member

What would be a good IOPing value then?

• rds100rds100 Member

Forget ioping and dd. if your web sites (or whatever you are doing with the server) are loading fast - it's OK. These benchmarks although bringing some information are quite artificial and don't always show the true state of affairs.

• I'm remotely monitoring load average and other values using SNMP and I'm seeing inexplicable load average spikes (up to 3, sometimes higher) at least once a day. Since CPU is idling and the network interface doesn't show any traffic spikes at the same time, what else could cause a high load average if not slow disk IO? There's no swapping going on and apart from the usual syslog cleanup stuff I don't run any custom cron jobs on the VPS.

Iowait is around 5% constantly.

When used over time, I think ioping, iowait and dd do paint a picture btw.