Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Interested in a Multidomain, wildcard ssl certificate for under $30 ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone Interested in a Multidomain, wildcard ssl certificate for under $30 ?

raza19raza19 Veteran
edited January 2014 in General

the certificate is valid for as many domains as you would like and comes with a wildcard for every domain.

Startssl is offering the certificate at $60 an year but they offer bulk buy discounts.

I was thinking that if we as a community could gather enough number of interested buyers we could convince startssl to offer us the certificate at $30 half the price of normal $60.

plus I would TRY and ask them to lock in these discounts if possible or allow multiple year purchases though I am not certain but we should at least get the first certificate ?

So who is genuinely interested ?

EDIT: they offer a bulk buy discount package. http://www.startssl.com/?app=7 . You will get your own account with them.

Comments

• Just a curiosity (I hope it wouldn't kill the cat). Is startssl a US based company or Israeli based company?

I don't mind using an Israeli based service as long as they accept money from a goy and deliver as appropriate, because this goy can appreciate something like:

• VPNVPN Member

Why would StartSSL half their already low priced SSL certificates for LE* users?

• @OkieDoke said:
    Why would StartSSL half their already low priced SSL certificates for LE* users?

Bulk Buy Discount Program, google it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2014

said: Startssl is offering the certificate at $60 an year but they offer bulk buy discounts.

Are you really so dumb that you can't even read what they offer for $60/year? Hint: not a certificate.

P.S.: oh and also nope, no chance they will slash their verification pricing for a bunch of users from some forum.
    Bringing down the price to $29.90 requires one thousand verifications. https://www.startssl.com/?app=7
    A verification involves submitting:

The cover of your passport
    The first pages of the passport
    The picture of you with your personal detail of your passport
    and
    Both sides of your drivers license or identity card or
    Photo ID document issued by a local, state or federal authority.

I wonder do you honestly hope to gather 1000 people from LET falling over themselves to send all of the above to StartSSL, and then also pay $29.90 per year (oh and I think all these documents and photos need to be resubmitted every year).

• I am interested in wildcard SSL, but not sure if this one work out. May be we could just make a list of the offers currently going on, so that people can choose the cheap ones.

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 2014

@rm_ said:
    Are you really so dumb that you can't even read what they offer for $60/year? Hint: not a certificate.

I dont have time to waste on idiots like you :) I know its for organization validation and once you are validated you get access to unlimited SAN wildcard certificate.

I have been in communication with startcom for almost a week now and have been poking around many of their offers. They make discount offerings thats the jist of it.

If we get the bulk offer then we would get prepaid tickets for more organization validated unlimited san wildcard certificates. This prepaid ticket is normally $59.90 but with bulk discount its 29.90.

edited January 2014

raza19 said: I know its for organization validation

raza19 said: Startssl is offering the certificate at $60 an year

^ Whose words? They aren't offering you a certificate for $60 "an year" (yes English is so hard). Do I need to explain further? Oh sorry, you have been "in communication" with them, so probably know their plans and discounts bettter than themselves by now...

• VPNVPN Member
    edited January 2014

@rm_ said:

Being aware of the recent notices about name-calling and disrespect, I'll keep this brief.

You in fact are mistaken. As @raza19 has made it clear, you pay $59.90 for verification for identity. After that you get an unlimited amount of certificates for free.

Once validated, certificates are freely available through the advanced StartSSL™ Control Panel and unlimited for 350 days of the validated identity/organization.

Check you facts before you start bitching to people.

• @rm_ said:
    ^ Whose words? They aren't offering you a certificate for $60 "an year" (yes English is so hard). Do I need to explain further? Oh sorry, you have been "in communication" with them, so probably know their plans and discounts bettter than themselves by now...

since you chose to respond :)

They make exceptions, there are entire groups on the internet who have been offered special prices by startssl.

I dont understand the reason behind this hostility, you started by calling me dumb when you dont know anything about me. I suspect an ulterior motive hidden behind otherwise there is no reason for you to act like this, are you working for @centriohost ?

Would you not like this community to get access to cheap ssl or see us even try? This forum is a community or at least thats the point of it, if there is a way we can gather as a community to get pricing then whats the wrong in it ? Why do you have to act like this ?

Calling @spirit , @mpkossen, @jbiloh to take notice.

edited January 2014

OkieDoke said: You in fact are mistaken

Me?...

you get an unlimited amount of certificates for free.

That's what I am trying to point out here. For that price you don't get "a certificate", you become verified, and then can issue an unlimited amount of wildcard certificates over duration of one year (and each of those is valid for 2 years, so do the math, you can stretch your $60 to last you 3 years of any amount of wildcard certs...).

But thanks anyway for butting into a thread unrelated to you with your insults, without even reading the context or taking time to understand who argues for what.

• VPNVPN Member

The end game is to get certificates.

You then showed blatant disrespect to @raza19 with;

When ultimately he is right, for $59.90 you can get SSL certificates.

edited January 2014

raza19 said: I dont understand the reason behind this hostility

You're such a fun person, first you instantly lash out at me with name-calling in your bold-text (I did not call you anything), and only then "trying to understand"? And now calling board admins at me? Wow. "But but teacher, it was he who started it", that will be your line? :D

OkieDoke said: for $59.90 you can get SSL certificates.

You can get SSL certificates for free, or for $2, or for $8. What's your point. StartSSL's product for $59.90 is not an SSL certificate, simple as that.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 2014

@rm_ said:

>

1) Yes you started it, you are at fault. I was just defending myself.

2) Its evident you dont understand the ssl certificate we are talking about :)

a) the free certificate cannot be used for commercial websites

b) the free certificate does not support wildcard

>
    >

c) the free certificate does not support multiple domains

d) Startssl organization validation for 59.90 leads you to have

>

i) a special wildcard ssl certificate with

>

ii) unlimited SANs (domains)

>

e) this organization validation can be discounted up to 29.90 if we all make a bulk order.

raza19 said: the free certificate cannot be used for commercial websites

Not true. It's issued to an individual and not organization, but last time I checked there wasn't any field of use restriction in ToS.

c) the free certificate does not support multiple domains

While not too important, should be noted it supports "whatever.domain.tld" (one subdomain of your choice) and "domain.tld". For many uses this will be perfect and remove the need for a wildcard cert.

raza19 said: Startssl organization validation for 59.90

So the product is validation, and btw it's not "organization" only, you can get verified as an individual too (hence all of the above things about your passport and a photo of yourself with the passport)...

• @rm_ said:
    So the product is validation, and btw it's not "organization" only, you can get verified as an individual too (hence all of the above things about your passport and a photo of yourself with the passport)...

In fact, with startssl, as far as I understand, you need to verify/identify the individual first before you can identify the organization. So for organization verification, you'll have to pay for both.

"StartSSL™ identity and organization validation are available for only US $ 59.90 each, where organization validation implies prior identity validation."

Thanked by 3rm_ alexvolk ironhide
  • raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 2014

@raza said: c) the free certificate does not support multiple domains

>

@rm_ said:
    While not too important, should be noted it supports "whatever.domain.tld" (one subdomain of your choice) and "domain.tld". For many uses this will be perfect and remove the need for a wildcard cert.

what the heck are you talking about ? We are talking about multiple SANs which means the same certificate can be used for alpha.com , beta.com, delta.com, unlimited domains . Multiple domains/SANs is not related to subdomain wilcard!

@raza said: a) the free certificate cannot be used for commercial websites

>

@rm_ said:
    Not true. It's issued to an individual and not organization, but last time I checked there wasn't any field of use restriction in ToS.

My question to StartSSL; are there any limitations on the free ssl certificate ?

>

Their Response;
    Class 1 certificates are not meant to be used for commercial activities or
    financial transactions. Also you can't create SAN/wildcard certs in Class 1.

>

Regards

>

Signer: Nikolay Duhman, CVO
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    Phone: +972-57-631-56-27

stop trying to speak from your ass @rm_ .

• raza19 said: what the heck are you talking about ?

This. Consider your words to yourself.

raza19 said: 2) Its evident you dont understand the ssl certificate we are talking about :)

Yes, exactly @raza19 you don't understand what about you talking here.

Thanked by 2rm_ ironhide
  • @alexvolk said:

Please learn english first :) you talk like hawkers in bangkok's red light district and I am sure you all are somehow related to @centriohost including @rm_

• So in the end, @rm, @raza19, is a yes or no answer to the following questions:

Are we allowed to have one person (@raza19) in this case, getting his identity verified by StartCom, and re-sell wildcard domain certificate to the rest of LET on domains that are not owned by him nor his organization? For commercial or non-commercial purposes? Is it against their TOS to do so?

I think that's really what the rest of the community cares.

• @zhuanyi said:
    So in the end, rm, raza19, is a yes or no answer to the following questions:

Are we allowed to have one person (@raza19) in this case, getting his identity verified by StartCom, and re-sell wildcard domain certificate to the rest of LET on domains that are not owned by him nor his organization? For commercial or non-commercial purposes? Is it against their TOS to do so?

I think that's really what the rest of the community cares.

No, no. You will get your organization/individual verification. You will have your own account at startssl, I will not be related or connected in anyway.

take a look at this http://www.startssl.com/?app=7 .

• @raza19 said:
    Please learn english first :) you talk like hawkers in bangkok's red light district and I am sure you all are somehow related to centriohost including rm_

Really ? Can you prove it ?

• @raza19 now you're lashing out at everyone and being a jerk.

Either personal or organization class 2 validation will allow you to create virtually unlimited certs - not just a single cert. These certs can have wildcard or just plain old SAN. The personal class 2 will obviously have your real name on the issued to field. If you wish to use a DBA name, that's when you need to use the org class 2 which as @Chumbi pointed out requires you to purchase it on top of your initial personal validation. It also requires incorporation papers or other valid business identification.

An important point to note is that reissues are considered a revoke which has a fee of $25. The whole wildcard thing is a marketing ploy. It's not the best idea to use the wildcard in the primary field. You can get around the reissue problem by using a random glob as the primary and then your actual domain in the SAN. Still, it gets messy.

I point this out because you interchangeably use the class 2 validation with a wildcard certificate. They are not the same and there are gotchas if you view it that way.

Thanked by 2Chumbi rm_
  • @tchen said:

>

Yes it is unlimited but for "that organization only" ! Which implies that if I get individual/org validation I will have access to unlimited certs but I CAN NOT use it for other organizations like yours or anybody else's hence the bulk package.

edited January 2014

raza19 said: Their Response; Class 1 certificates are not meant to be used for commercial activities or financial transactions.

"Not meant to be used" != "We forbid you to use them that way". I feel they really really want you to believe you "just can't", despite their own ToS saying nothing to that effect. So while not being too important in the context of this thread, I see no reason why we should willingly perpetuate this FUD about free certs.

alexvolk said: I am sure you all are somehow related to centriohost

Yes in fact we all here are secretly centriohost sales reps. You didn't know?

• Looks like someone is having a dental problem and bitching everyone in front of him!

• @raza19 said:
    ...bulk package...

I encourage you to read the distributor package info again. As the distributor, you pay StartSSL, not the individual account holders. The distributor pays up front for the tokens which are then distributed to the individual people. Good luck assembling this on LET.

As for the rest of your reply, I don't even know what it's directed at. Its obvious that your identity cert will not show my name. That should go without saying.

I think the real issue here is that you're a bit loose with the terminology used by startssl. You see the word certificate and you automatically think SSL certs.

Do you have at least a class 1 identity cert with them? Or do we need to go over a refresher on how their system works?

• @rm_ said:
    "Not meant to be used" != "We forbid you to use them that way". I feel they really really want you to believe you "just can't", despite their own ToS saying nothing to that effect. So while not being too important in the context of this thread, I see no reason why we should willingly perpetuate this FUD about free certs.

They do enforce them on a spot check basis. Mostly by going to the existing root domain and looking for things like donate buttons, shopping carts, etc. I don't think it's FUD as their domain validation has forked into a delayed manual process for me several times.

tchen said: They do enforce them on a spot check basis.

But enforce what? Can you cite a specific ToS point, I honestly couldn't find any about this, maybe I missed it. Or even cite any forum or blog post where a cert was recalled from anyone for "commercial use".

tchen said: their domain validation has forked into a delayed manual process for me several times.

You mean when creating a new cert? Yes that happened for me too. But I don't think that was due to them going to my website to check it. More like if the user is from a "suspicious country", and they want to check that I am not using completely bogus personal details, etc.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited January 2014

@rm_ said:
    You mean when creating a new cert? Yes that happened for me too. But I don't think that was due to them going to my website to check it. More like if the user is from a "suspicious country", and they want to check that I am not using completely bogus personal details, etc.

I've never gotten a cert from them, I've tried on more than one occasion using incorrect but not obviously fake details, in the end it isn't worth the hassle to save $4. There's no way in hell that I'd be sending them scans of my passport just to pay $30, I'd rather pay $15 more and grab a wildcard from an AlphaSSL Reseller like IPXCore.

GoGetSSL needs to become more competitive in their wildcard pricing.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • tchentchen Member
    edited January 2014

@rm_ said:
    Can you cite a specific ToS point, I honestly couldn't find any about this, maybe I missed it.

No worries,

3.1.2.1 Class 1 certificates are limited to client and server certificates, whereas the later is restricted in its usage for non-commercial purpose only. Subscribers MUST upgrade to Class 2 or higher level for any domain and site of commercial nature, when using high-profile brands and names or if involved in obtaining or relaying sensitive information such as health records, financial details, personal information etc.

And for people who've had it enforced,

Basically they focus on the financial transaction part of the TOS. I have a web company and they haven't denied it for me but then again I don't have any payment / carts / etc on the validated domains. That is, they won't stomp on you if your website only looks professional/commercial.

The delay in domain (not identity) validation occurs for Canada too BTW. We're very suspicious here ;)

Thanked by 2rm_ Chumbi