Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Estimating CPU Usage of something from 1 cpu to another?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Estimating CPU Usage of something from 1 cpu to another?

edited January 2014 in General

I'm assuming that this is possible when it probably isn't:
I have a TF2 server that uses ~30% CPU (as per what top says) when it is running with 18 players. That is on a Intel E3-1245v2. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to estimate the usage of the same game server with the same amount of people on a different cpu, namely 2x dual core Xeon 5150s. Is it possible to figure this out or will I just have to wait and see?

Edit: I'm currently using a Dedi at OVH CA (SP2). I'm looking to move somewhere else slightly cheaper since running multiple tf2 servers isn't scratching the surface of the server, and frankly I don't use the majority of it, so I'm wasting alot of money.

Comments

1. Find Passmark or whatever score
    2. Extrapolate
    3. Realize that this is pointless since they probably have different instruction sets and such
    Thanked by 1nunim
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

You're running on a 4C/8T CPU at 3.4GHz, with a much more modern processor architecture.
    With the Dual Xeon 5150 server you're running 4C/4T at 2.66GHz with a significantly slower and older architecture. I would not recommend the downgrade.

• @shovenose said:
    You're running on a 4C/8T CPU at 3.4GHz, with a much more modern processor architecture.
    With the Dual Xeon 5150 server you're running 4C/4T at 2.66GHz with a significantly slower and older architecture. I would not recommend the downgrade.

The only reason I'm contemplating it is because the dedicated server with the E3-1245v2 is very expensive ($90/month), and the one with the 5150s are $30/month.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

Void_Whisperer said: The only reason I'm contemplating it is because the dedicated server with the E3-1245v2 is very expensive ($90/month), and the one with the 5150s are $30/month.

TF2/Source servers aren't very demanding at all and you'd probably be OK with the 5150... but since those cores are pretty crappy individually and SRCDS isn't truly multithreaded you'd be even better off with an i3 (fewer cores, but each one's much better). OVH has one in Canada for $30, though it's out of stock at the moment, or WSI has one in Kansas City for $40:

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

• @Dylan said:

I have a SP2 with OVH CA. It's just so expensive to maintain when I don't have a steady income off of these servers :/

• I have a Dual Xeon 5639 with 24 threads for my TF2 servers. Sometimes they reach 70% each but I only put 1 server per core

• I don't know how a TF2 server works, whether it spawns multiple processes, or so on, but I hope you know that in top, the % CPU usage is shown per core, like, 50% CPU usage under top means you are using half a core, 200% means you are using 2 cores. What is your load avg.? If you are running at 30%, I don't think it'd be a problem if you move to the Dual 5150.

• You could try and go to google and find out if anyone else is running that game on their server with a similar build to what you are looking for and see what they say about it.

• 2 L5520's would do quite well for what you want. They are usually cheaper than e3's. Seems like the e3's go for $50-$60 from some places on WHT. Maybe shop around a bit for a better price?

• @sc754 said:
    2 L5520's would do quite well for what you want. They are usually cheaper than e3's. Seems like the e3's go for $50-$60 from some places on WHT. Maybe shop around a bit for a better price?

Getting a lower price than OVH would be questionable :P