Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would anyone be interested on a niche products?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would anyone be interested on a niche products?

So here's my idea, using android's kernel on a vps.

Yes, it does makes lots of things a bit more complicated. But I enjoy the way android manages it's memory (how it doesn't shut down process like most kernels do) and looks quite good.

Simply for fun.
Another thing that would be cool is adding pci-passthru support, adding a small amd gpu for anyone wanting to use opencl.

I'm not here to discuss why this is a bad idea, I know why this isn't that great, but if you're interested I'd love your feedback.

Since I do this for fun, I'd most likely price it really really low, kind of like lowendspirit does.

Comments

• shafireshafire Member
    edited January 2014

@duckeeyuck said:
    Simply for fun.
    Another thing that would be cool is adding pci-passthru support, adding a small amd gpu for anyone wanting to use opencl.

I am looking for something like that. Subscribing.

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited January 2014

shafire said: I am looking for something like that. Subscribing.

Any kind of mining will not be allowed tho.
    Resources are shared.

I hope you're not trying to do this.

• duckeeyuck it does sound pretty cool but i hope you dont mind me saying the following:

• Android for intel chips is not as good as arm - there are many incompatible programs from arm to intel. (you are talking about using a openvz/xen type template right and hopefully not emulating arm (while arm emulation is better for program compatibility - it will eat a crap load of resources)
    • I think you would have better luck renting android mini pc's as servers - because for 3 euro is still a bit much for a android template considering todays VPS price.

If you dont mind me saying - i think a even more weird/unque niche would be to offer palm os(the original not webos) emulation as a dedicated service - there are 10's of thousands of old palm apps and it would be pretty cool/unique and the resources are MUCH less then with android - you wouldnt even need openvz or xen - just set up a way to make each emulated palm os have its own separate filesystem for each user.

I am sorry if this is not what you wanted - i do agree android for vps would be cool - but i cant say i would pay for it.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited January 2014

@duckeeyuck said:
    I hope you're not trying to do this.

Mining is not worth it ;-) OpenCL can also accelerate my forloops...

• @shafire when LET members say "mining" your talking about bitcoin/altcoin mining right?

• shafireshafire Member
    edited January 2014

@Stevie said:
    shafire when LET members say "mining" your talking about bitcoin/altcoin mining right?

I'm assuming.

• Stevie said: there are many incompatible programs from arm to intel

oh yes I understand, what's cool is that porting your applications to android isn't hard, it's just a mere recompile most of the time in my personal experience.

I didn't know that arm/x86 performance drop, thanks!
    When you say webos, did you mean to make a reference to superwaba or webOS?

I'm currently looking at this, I personally don't have much experience with palm exept for the time my dad let me play with his palms back in 2001~
    So far I've found Garnet VM thru google.

Do you know if ram limits are important when it comes to palmos? I have a feeling that I shouldn't worry about this.

• Honestly, the main reason Android handles shit better is because it doesn't have to deal with so much variance as a desktop/server environment does. That said, I doubt you'd get as much benefit as you think you would out of such a setup.

• c0yc0y Member

how it doesn't shut down process like most kernels do

There's this thing called daemonizing/forking into the background. The Android kernel is made by the Ubuntu people after all...

• @duckeeyuck
    sorry for the late reply i had a headache so went to sleep for like 6 hours.
    well if i was going to make a dedicated palmos emulator service i would target palmos version 4.xx since you only need to give 2-4 mb ram usage to each virtual machine.
    palmos 5 needs about 32-64 mb ram for each vm since palmos 5 uses ARM chips.

• i mentioned webos because most people only remember the webos phones - i loved there palm pilots more though.

But im not too sure on the limits if you do this project.
    I am sure there is a emulator for linux for palmos 4.xx - but i dont know if it could handle 20 or more palm emulators running at once - emulator eats up alot of cpu too.

It could be a fun project though - but you need a way to show the emulator screen to your customers since palmos app's are not command line - i will give you links tomorrow if you want because i had a idea to do this (a year ago) with a VPS i a had and connect each vm to a different ipv6. I never really started it but i did research and tried a emulator on a vps.

• Stevie said: But im not too sure on the limits if you do this project. I am sure there is a emulator for linux for palmos 4.xx - but i dont know if it could handle 20 or more palm emulators running at once - emulator eats up alot of cpu too.

I could just open up new nodes.

So far my guess is to make add vnc support and limit users to only doing so much.

• IIRC, QEMU can emulate an ARM processor, so you could use KVM virtualization for this.