Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent Chinese VPN/VPS provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent Chinese VPN/VPS provider?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited January 2014 in Help

I am thinking of either purchasing a VPN account or buy a VPS service to set up a VPN for my personal use, the only criteria is it is located in mainland China with a decent connection to the East Coast US. Price is not going to be very cheap due to the bandwidth cost but as long as the service is more or less stable it is good for me.

So my questions are: 1. Am I better off buying a VPN account or buy a VPS?
2. Is there any decent provider that you guys have tried and used before?

Forgot to mention, I can only pay by Paypal.

Comments

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

Hello,

I used FlyVPN before. Their staff is living in China and are very helpful.

http://www.flyvpn.com/VPN-server-locations.html#.UtIYf9IW2uI

They have multiple China locations and many people use them.

If you are looking for a VPS, you can look at my.starrydns.com. They are the cheapest I have seen for China VPS.

Thanks!

Thanked by 2zhuanyi Starry
  • Why you need Chinese VPN/VPS?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

I'd recommend looking at Astrill. They're certainly not the cheapest (works out around $10/month), but you'll get a great service with them. They're one of the better VPN providers around.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • deployvm said: Website: flyvpn.com

Pretty decent service it seems, do you know what is their port speed?

Edo said: Why you need Chinese VPN/VPS?

It is actually helping a friend so that she could watch some TV programs that are restricted to Chinese viewers only

liamwithers said: I'd recommend looking at Astrill.

Thanks, I'll take a look at them as well. Seems to be a global provider with a decent Chinese focus.

Regarding flyvpn, I am not exactly sure on the port speed. You might have to ask them. Sorry.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • zhuanyi said: Pretty decent service it seems, do you know what is their port speed?

I imagine it would differ on each server.

• deployvm said: Regarding flyvpn, I am not exactly sure on the port speed. You might have to ask them. Sorry.

Thanks!

• what can do for you.i am chinese,and i can search for you.

• @yongchuan2502 said:
    what can do for you.i am chinese,and i can search for you.

buyaliyun; seriously 1Mb port speed ?

• fault: 1mb port speed.we offer 1mb,2mb-11mb if you need.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

@darkshire

Aliyun's downlink is 1Gbps shared while uplink is strictly limited. If you wanna buy Aliyun, I can resell it.

Also, check my sig for China VPS :)

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited January 2014

I am completely ignorant of the Great Firewall (not completely, I've read papers on the technical achievements of its creation) and Chinese laws. Is proxying through the firewall and posing as a member of another country legal? I see so many VPN ad's about it. Then there's the TOR, Freenet, and I2P networks... etc.

• Silvenga said: Is proxying through the firewall and posing as a member of another country legal? I see so many VPN ad's about it.

Huh? That is like asking if VPN is legal....

• Jylee said: Also, check my sig for China VPS :)

I was tempted to sign up with the budget VPS that you offered back in the New Year but the speed sort of turned me off...how's the upload speed from those VPS? All I saw were download speed.

• DciteDcite Member
    edited January 2014

@liamwithers said:
    I'd recommend looking at Astrill. They're certainly not the cheapest (works out around $10/month), but you'll get a great service with them. They're one of the better VPN providers around.

I've had previous experience with Astrill. The company as a global VPN is nice, servers all over the world, descent speeds for a US VPN.
    However in the case of accessing content inside Mainland China, Astrill's server is located near "Anhui" and the only have 1 server which can access the Mainland content, the 5 HK servers cannot access it.

FlyVPN is a tad more expensive than Astrill (least if I do 12 months at $80) but they have multiple VPN servers in the mainland, 2 in the capital, more than 2 in Shanghai, and several more scattered throughout. This is the provider I am using right now to get access to the content. Go to east coast Canada, I get UP TO 400KBytes/sec, 283KBytes/sec average, and a low side of.. 32KBytes/sec but you can always change servers, assuming you are a little computer literate.

Of course, it is all up to the user themselves to decide which is better.

Side note: From what I could read from VPS providers in China, they tend to charge by the Mbit instead of transfer used, none of them promise international uplink speeds.

• leafyvpn
    They have 4 China servers. I are using their HK servers. I have no experience with their China servers. You can try it as they have 3 days money back guarantee.

edited January 2014

Dcite said: Side note: From what I could read from VPS providers in China, they tend to charge by the Mbit instead of transfer used, none of them promise international uplink speeds.

That is true. Some providers might charge through bandwidth amount but that is quite rare. It is actually very difficult for any ISP to promise international speeds. It will all depend on the upstream/server/capacity.

Most Chinese IDC only give 2-3Mbps minimum, while some offer 5Mbps or 10Mbps. Additional bandwidth is usually very expensive. Interestingly, some large cloud companies do not restrict the incoming (rx) while uplink is limited according to the bandwidth speed you purchased. If you are looking for best international speed, a 'BGP network' would be essential.

• anyone have experience with starrydns servers in beijing?

• Bruce said: anyone have experience with starrydns servers in beijing?

I am curious as well, the owner was being very honest and mentioned the server is very oversold, I am just wondering how bad the upload traffic is.

edited January 2014

zhuanyi said: I am curious as well, the owner was being very honest and mentioned the server is very oversold, I am just wondering how bad the upload traffic is.

You may sign up for one to try since full refund can be given in 24 hours.

BTW, that coupon ended.

@deployvm It's common in China that many ISP limit the uplink strictly. For example, a 10mbps home cable may only get 512kbps uplink...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Jylee said: BTW, that coupon ended.

The link in the offer post still works, maybe it's by mistake? I was just thinking to buy one, hmm.

@rm_
    yep, I enter 1 instead of 0 in the stock limitation...

• Jylee said: @rm_ yep, I enter 1 instead of 0 in the stock limitation...

And of course it is gone again...those things are selling really well!

• @zhuanyi I can provide you with china vpn > What's your os/

• Jylee said: You may sign up for one to try since full refund can be given in 24 hours.

BTW, that coupon ended.

Any deal for CNY?