Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volumedrive dedicated review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Volumedrive dedicated review

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited March 2012 in General

Jeez, enough dissing VD

Hey there, here I am reviewing their dedicated server's after getting a VPS. Lets get right too it.

Support 8/10: They use email and have no ticket system, so things can get inheritances lost. Usually if I dont get a reply within 4 hours I resend it, and I almost always get a reply. Critical problems are usually fixed within 20 minutes, but upgrades take FOREVER.

Speed 9/10: I can usually maxout the 100mBit port, here is the test I just ran

Code: Saving to: `100mb.test'

100%[===============================

2012-03-24 14:23:57 (8.57 MB/s) - `

And here is the disk IO

Code: ****@*****:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=te 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.

Server Uptime 10/10: Only time it went down was when I needed a reformat, and they completed that within an hour of me asking.

Price 12/10: I got all of this for 39.95, ram was a one time upgrade, so are hard drives.

Heres what I have Code: CPU: Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Memory HD: 250 GB Hard Drive BW: 100 Mbps Unmetered* IP: 2 Public IP Addresses KVM On Demand Available

Anyways, right now its kinda idling. I would use it for minecraft clients, if I did not have a bunch of empty boxes with secured servers.

So I guess this is my epic personal server

Would buy again!

Comments

• What OS are you using? BSD or something?

• Debian ;)

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2012

Try using fdatasync on the dd.

I know the BSD version of dd doesn't report in MBs nor supports fdatasync, which is why I suspected you were using BSD. (and its why I always install the GNU version).

I had 6 dedi's with them, and I found a perfect away of getting them to actually reply to my emails. They also kept giving me IPs without invoicing for them, so I ended up having 50 Free IPs from them.

• With my vps I asked to upgrade.

They did it for free, so I was paying 4$ for 4gb Lol

• ****@*****:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.41496 s, 114 MB/s

• @bijan588

Man, use pre tags for readability of your test results :S

• On a phone

• @bijan588 said: ****@*****:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.41496 s, 114 MB/s

That is a fairly decent drive. They still use Samsung drives?

• JacobJacob Member

VD sucks but they use fast hard drives.

• @Jacob How do they suck? Have you actually used them?

• JacobJacob Member

@bijan588 They ignore support emails, Planning to move all Jacksonville clients to a UK Node soon proberly on faster hardware.

• You have fun with that. :P I doubt you will get better hardware.

But you will have better support

• Oh wait! @Jacob, your on jacksonville! Im in PA, so that might be why I am having a better time than you.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • I wonder why they don't have a ticket system yet... I remember following the large Volumedrive thread on WHT and they said they were almost finished with their ticket system, and this was months ago...

• I like Dom and Simon, the rest can be rude sometimes.

• I know its old, but I need to add this

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited April 2012

Still wouldn't touch VD, since they are colocated with BurstNet shudders.

Eh, also testing the disk i/o on a dedicated is kind of stupid, unless you are using SSDs or some fancy RAID array. Anyway, that is pretty decent I/O, but gets beat by a Kimsufi 2G:

root@ash:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.90894 s, 182 MB/s

• VD no longer Co-lo with burst? Thought they move out into there own.

• @DotVPS said: They do "Colo" yes but they don't just have racks they have like a cage.

Are you sure? I thought they had their own DC and then just have peering from burstnet.

• @DotVPS said: No , They lie.

I guess that is why VD network is so horrible. Because it is burstnets horrible network.

• JacobJacob Member

Burstnet just have wierd routing, Not sure why but it's decent for the price.

• Get a second hard disk and start selling LEBs on that shit.