Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6GB OpenVZ or 4GB KVM, which one will you buy and why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

6GB OpenVZ or 4GB KVM, which one will you buy and why?

Hello,

I am planning to buy a VPS and I am confused which one should I buy. I have seen two excellent offers

1. OpenVZ VPSdime with 6GB Ram and 60GB Harddisk and 2TB bandwidth
  2. KVM UltimateHostings with 4GB Ram, 150GB Harddisk and 1TB Bandwidth

I want to know which one should I buy. Please tell me from your perspective to help me purchase a correct one. I want to purchase for one year, and I will not be able to change the decision once purchased. So please help me to make a correct decision.

Thanks

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2014

Both at the same price? 4GB KVM is a better deal, but VPSdime has better reputation.

Do not go for a year pre-payment with the second provider (or really, with either), especially if you do not gain any discount by doing so.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited January 2014

Both are great so far as I have both.

It just depends on what you need it for.

If you need custom ISOs more flexibility than you can get when OpenVZ go with KVM.
    On the other hand you don't OpenVZ is great too.

Both Oktay and Nakul provide great support.

What will you be using it for?

• 2gb xen pv. ;)

• i will go for KVM

• tuguhosttuguhost Member
    edited January 2014

i would go with openvz :)

• It is also depends on Provider. What server type they are using and what kind of reputation they have in market. And also depends on your needs.
    But i personally ll prefer to go with KVM.

• It also depends on your need of supports. There is still an option for KVM 4GB with $7 (paid quarterly) from MyCustomHosting. I had beta tested VPSDime and have just acquired an Ultimatehostings KVM 4GB. I am always afraid of my newbie in Linux will cause the other provider upset with my basic questions. That's why I didn't purchase that one although the review about that provider is very good.

Anyone having experience with the 4GB KVM of both MyCustomHosting and UltimateHostings?

• I will go with whom I trust

Thanked by 2Dylan Mark_R
  • @recycleddomain If you have two options for VPS Server (above mentioned), it is better to send presales tickets/emails to both providers and ask them about their services/support and setup they have. Then you may be in better position to decide.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Kvm.

• without regard to the host, I'll choose kvm. even at 2gb KVM, will still go for it instead of 6gb ovz

Thanked by 1rm_
  • go to trusted kvm or Openvz if that host mot trusted and many trouble or downtime that same bulshit

• What do you plan on doing with it?

• go with KVM ,,but vpsdime has good reputation

• Falcon16Falcon16 Member
    edited January 2014

Thanks a lot guys. My plan is to host a couple of blogs with moderate traffic, a few in-house php applications and one nodejs application.

• I want to extend the question of @prae5 that what you do you plan on doing with it for one year as you want to take annual option.

Of course it is very difficult to plan something for 1 year. A few months ago, when starting a project, I paid for 6 OpenVZ with 6GB RAM each. I planned to put a cluster on it to distribute load. However, as the project is not as profitable as I thought, now the cluster is scaled down to 2 boxes. 4 remaining are staying there for future projects. Although these boxes have enough RAM, IO is not stable enough for my build server. While hoping my current provider upgrade SSD cache someday, I had to buy an UltimateHostings KVM 4GB a few weeks ago, which I hope it is more stable than my current boxes. The KVM is so far so good.

For my very newbie experience, I feel the KVM is more stable in term of IO. And I recommend it over OpenVZ. I like UltimateHostings as they response to my questions very fast, instead of of a few hours.

• Definitely OpenVZ. Better perfomance as KVM and enough when you don't plan to modify the kernel/basesystem

• if you wanna purchase for 1 year i recommend KVM, everything runs on it, that might be better in long-term.

• KVM first, but it depends upon requirement, objective.
    Providers server configuration as well.
    Also do you really require such amount of RAM!
    UH KVM comes with more HDD but less B/W then VPSdime, but matters only if you really need that much or HDD or B/W!