Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uninstalling xinted?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uninstalling xinted?

Hi guys,

today I noticed that I have xinetd running on one of my lowend VPS and I was asking myself if I can uninstall it without having serious problems?

Comments

• If I were you, I wouldn't uninstall it. You could try, but it will only cause more resource usage.

• imchandaveimchandave Member
    edited January 2014

@dhamaniasad, I doubt that uninstalling xinetd will increase @typh0n's resource usage.

If @typh0n is not using xinetd's service to spawn off new server instances, then he can uninstall it.

On a default debian (wheezy) deployment, xinetd is installed with no active services. xinetd just fires up, hangs around consuming 19MB and ignoring all TCP/UDP ports.

@typh0n, check all the services listed in /etc/xinetd.d/ for any that have "disable = no". If you do have some services marked as active, then you need xinetd only if you want to keep the service available. If you really don't need any of the active services (do you really need chargen???), then you can safely uninstall xinetd.

And, in the future, you can always just reinstall with a simple (apt-get install xinetd/yum install xinetd/pacman -S xinetd).

See ya...

d.c.

• @dhamaniasad
    I first stopped it, then uninstalled it. No problems at all!

@imchandave

Thank you for your help! After reading your comment I first stopped it to see if any errors occur and then I uninstalled it.
    It helped me to free ~ 1.5 MB RAM, which were really needed.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

If nothing depends on it, of course uninstall it. And if you need an inetd later for something, consider using the "openbsd-inetd" package instead of xinetd.

Thanked by 1typh0n