Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[OPINION] Server Monitoring.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[OPINION] Server Monitoring.

Com3xCom3x Member

Hi LET Members,

It's my first post on this board so it will also be a kind of introduction too ! I was a reader before and I now want to be more "active" on the community. I, of course (lol), have some LEB (some not so low end too) and two dedicated servers. I actually monitor most of them with UptimeRobot and MonitorUS for the "hobby's" ones. But for the "prodution's" ones what would you advise ? I have some internal monitors but I really really prefer cloud based service because :

• They can test your server from basically everywhere in the world
  • They have multiple access to the www, multiple ways of notification, etc.
  • They have advanced features (not as advanced as Nagios for example but enough for me)
  • And the main argument for me, most of time you don't need to monitor the monitor ! :-)

Thanks for your answers.

Server Monitoring Preference.
  1. Server Monitoring Preference.57 votes
    1. MonitorUS
        1.75%
    2. StatusCake
      19.30%
    3. UptimeRobot
      31.58%
    4. Something else...
      36.84%
    5. I'm a warrior and I don't need monitoring !
      10.53%

Comments

• Monitis is pretty good, its quite costly though. NodePing is good as well.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I've been using StatusCake and pingdom, they are both nice.

• We use pingdom, works perfect for us.

• Also a fan of Pingdom.

• we use pingdom and happy with it :)

• Jack said: Pingdom sucks

why?

• Custom bash script, uptimerobot to confirm :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2014

@mikeg said:
    why?

When it's good it's good, when it's bad it's really bad. There are some cases where it seems to get false reports quite often and while I personally can't explain it, it's really annoying to have it shoved in your face constantly as "proof" of downtime that didn't happen.

+1 for NodePing

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • @jarland said:
    +1 for NodePing

Fair enough. I haven't experienced this yet. Nodeping looks good though. I like the unlimited SMS and the price looks a lot better than Pingdom. Do they offer a public status page like Pingdom?

• @Jack said:
    Yeah, like this http://status.securedragon.net/

Doesn't look as good as the Pingdom one, but I'll probably switch due to the pricing difference!

• I'm using New Relic to monitor my VPS.

• @utama said:
    I'm using New Relic to monitor my VPS.

Looks interesting. Can you tell me how much memory it uses?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited January 2014

I never felt a need to rely on a third party service for monitoring. I run my own solution, Geekping on a couple of servers. I set cron for any frequency I require (1min by default), and configure email alerts in the software.

@joelgm said:
    I never felt a need to rely on a third party service for monitoring. I run my own solution, Geekping on a couple of servers. I set cron for any frequency I require (1min by default), and configure email alerts in the software.

Nice find, thanks for the share.

• @jarland said:
    Nice find, thanks for the share.

Find? I wrote it. :P

Thanked by 1imchandave

@joelgm said:

Even better then, thanks for sharing. Definitely gonna give that thing a try.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Jack said:
    Pingdom sucks, Nodeping is amazing, Statuscake only does 5 minute monitoring periods you can't have it checking every minute.

Status cake free is every 60 seconds

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Using statuscake here

• @ghost said:
    When the Geekping will release 1.0?

When I consider it completely bug free, security audited, and contains most of the things I can imagine, and is idiot-proof.. :D

• I use Uptime Robot because it's free and StatusCake is too complicated for the absolute basic shit I need.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Pingdom, because it not only tells you something is down it also provides some information about why it reported the fact it was down.

• Wow ! Thank you all for your answers, I hope it helps others like it helps me now ! I personally think that Pingdom is good but not as good as others for the same price range. I think I'll try Nodeping too. @joelgm and @jarland, as i said before, I already have my own monitoring solution too but I think we sometimes have to rely on some third party services because :

• What would you do if your monitoring server goes down ?
    • Who can say that your server is available in X or Y place in the world ?

Of course it always depends on your needs. And yeah, who said he was a warrior ? :-)

• I'm using monitive.com and have been very happy with it !

• Self-written and self-hosted script, running on two LEBs at different locations, cronned for every 5 minutes, staggered (so a check every 2-3 minutes). Email alerts. Works for me.

Thanked by 1Tammy
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

observium

• Never had problems with pingdom and statuscake had a lot of problems and I still don't know if they're all fixed. My pingdom acc runs out in a month though, probably gonna settle for something else, they're too expensive.

• You left Pingdom, by far the biggest player in monitoring, out of the poll so I have no doubts most of those "something else" answers are from people who use them. It's too bad, would have been interesting to see the results with them in.

• I wrote my own server monitoring application that i am turning into a Saas product that includes external monitoing server stats, and stack traces for php and python, ruby (considering)

• @typh0n said:
    Looks interesting. Can you tell me how much memory it uses?

Under 10MB.

Thanked by 1typh0n