Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easy VPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easy VPN?

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited March 2012 in General

Whats the best way to tunnel all my traffic through my Ramhost.us server?

I want it on my phone and everything.

Reason being, my dorms internet has everything blocked including youtube.

Comments

• Openvpn?

• I can't seem to get it to work.

• PPTP?

• There is a good guide in the Ramhost forums for setting up openvpn. I've followed it step by step before with good results. Check that your phone supports OpenVPN first though.

If it supports pptp vpn, that is even simpler to setup than openvpn.

• @JowMerit Thanks for the reply :) In your opinion whats better? OpenVPN or PPTP? I have a rooted android phone.

Also, is there any good PPTP guides?

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited March 2012

http://www.putdispenserhere.com/pptp-vpn-setup-guide-for-a-debian-openvz-vps/

I've used this one before - and it gave me a working pptp server.

I would say pptp is probably the way to go. Android has built in pptp support. (and your computer probably does too)

• If you are using mobile device go for PPTP. Setting up PPTP is simpler than OpenVPN.

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

rockia.com has an automated installer for PPTP on CentOS 5 and 6.

Also they're blocking sites at a university?

• @jtodd said: Also they're blocking sites at a university?

Yes, very very very very annoying. I can PAY to have the blocks removed though

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

Interesting, ours doesn't block anything, even in the library...

Oddly enough it is however faster through a VPN as the DNS resolution is slow and they won't let you use different DNS servers.

• @bijan588 said: Yes, very very very very annoying. I can PAY to have the blocks removed though

Your best using SSTP, as i amagine they will be blocking PPTP etc too.

• lpnlpn Member

As others said, check if your phone supports some standard VPN protocols. E.g. iPhone has built-in PPTP and L2TP/IPSec. I was debating between these and OpenVPN. Although installing OpenVPN is easier on the server, I went with PPTP as the client side is much easier and once I set the server it was a breeze. Keep in mind that PPTP is not very secure, you could try L2TP/IPSec. Also, depending on what kind of VPS you have, you may need to ask your provider to enable some kernel modules so that you could install PPTP or IPSec server.

• rethinkvpsrethinkvps Member
    edited March 2012

Use this script I have tucked away in a backup folder, you need to install it then connect to it without routing your traffic through it. After you have connected to it then you disconnect, change your settings to route your traffic through the VPN and it should work fine.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8165303/pppinstall.sh