Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB half dead? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB half dead?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Spirit said: Wtf? Fail. LEA never did that

LEA enforced many rules, the biggest being the $7/m or < ~$60/y pricing.

I don't think it's a thing of them not getting offers, i'm sure they're getting flooded just as hard as LEA was back in the day. LEA mentioned in a few articles that he had an inbox ull of offers to chew through.

Francisco

• Dude you're right that they should just scour the web to find hosts and post about them. Yes! That's how new hosts find out about this place. They go "oh cool this person said they heard about me on this blog?" Otherwise, they have to know about LEB to even get posted there.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Francisco I am not talking about rules but about concept which made this site sucessful. Site wasn't made for hosts advertisement but for people who are looking for hosts.

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r JoeMerit
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Naruto said: Dude you're right that they should just scour the web to find hosts and post about them.

Hrm, I agree that they should check WHT for some offers. There are some decent offers that probably never get to the inbox just because they simply aren't aware of the site.

@Spirit said: about concept which made this site sucessful.

Touche :)

Francisco

• @Mon5t3r said: LowEndDreamerPainInTheAss

Fixed.

@Spirit said: "look what I found... this could be interesting".

Ditto. Though perhaps it would be easier for users to be able to submit interesting offers/hosts they find if the current staff is bogged down.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

If I remember correct sometimes community users even tipped LEA about some host with lowendbox package and he posted it then. Now this isn't really option because new LEB concept require that host itself send offer with proper details like location of servers and which data center they are hosting with.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Personally I think we should pull offers directly from the "Offers" section on here instead of having hosts e-mail us (you should see some of the e-mails we receive, it's just sad sometimes).

That being said, the last post was 5 days ago after 5 days of consistent posting. As you all know I've been really busy with the DC move and Mark and Chief have been pretty busy themselves.

Our goal is quality posts but if it's quantity that you want we'll be glad to sacrifice quality by doing strictly copy + paste posts. ;)

• Well, there's nothing really stopping a user from digging up the same info on a find in about 5 minutes. If Chief is amicable to the idea, I could see that working rather well.

Of course, you'd have some of our idiots here wanting to submit 20-30 "new finds" a week, then getting butthurt and uppity here when they're "ignored". But still a good idea.

edited March 2012

@Spirit said: Now this isn't really possible because new LEB concept require that host itself send offer with proper details like location of servers and which data center they are hosting with.

This isn't true. Most e-mails we receive now are "Please post my coupon! [link] [price] [coupon]". We have to still dig for most of the information ourselves which requires some back and forth with the providers which is something we could do no matter who submits the e-mail.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@KuJoe said: Personally I think we should pull offers directly from the "Offers" section on here instead of having hosts e-mail us (you should see some of the e-mails we receive, it's just sad sometimes).

I would also like to see LEB featuring of hosts which you find by google or at WHT or get tipped about and so on... not only from those which are already part of this communit and promote themself. This is what LEA was doing whole time and what new team doesn't.
    On new LEB we can see now only hosts which promote themself here. Host need to come to you, to LET, send offer... to be featured at LEB.

@KuJoe said: This isn't true. Most e-mails we receive now are "Please post my coupon! [link] [price] [coupon]".

Yes, but this is main downfall of new LEB concept. You're waiting for offers = their self promotion.
    But this was only part of past featuring. Many of them didn't send mail to LEA, some of them didn't even know for LEB site existence - he found them and feature them to us.

• @KuJoe said: . We have to still dig for most of the information ourselves which requires some back and forth with the providers which is something we could do no matter who submits the e-mail.

After all its the provider that wants to be listed so you should have him provide the information like data center location, test IPs, etc himself in the first mail.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

What I see from an "external" point of view, since I discovered LEB (and LET) just a little time before LEA left, is that he added a dose of "cynism" as if it was funny for him admit some predestined deadpooler (maybe with a chance) also adding some sarcastic comments (hope I was clear enough). When he left some of you joined asking for more strict rules, the same rules that would have prevented most providers to show up in LEB.
    The new posts are more politically correct, friendly (I don't want to denigrate the job done, this is just what I see).

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

.> @prometeus said: The new posts are more politically correct, friendly (I don't want to denigrate the job done, this is just what I see).

And they base on sent offer from host we know anyway. I will tell you main difference for better understanding. To be featured on new LEB you need to come here, to send offer. Old LEA wouldn't wait for you, wouldn't wait if you will ever appear here - because it's not about your business oportunity but about us/community. If he would see your lowendpackage somewhere (at WHT or somewhere..) he would simply do little research and feature you. That way he introduced us plenty interesting budget hosts which never before appeared here.
    This is what made LEB for many of us interesting and what we're missing.

Thanked by 2gsrdgrdghd dnom
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@spirit to be honest when I was ready with the first low end openvz offer I posted here and then sent an email with all details and received no feedback, after 10 days I pinged for a reply and did the same after 15 days but no luck. Maybe i'm on a blacklist :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@prometeus said: @spirit to be honest when I was ready with the first low end openvz offer I posted here and then sent an email with all details and received no feedback, after 10 days I pinged for a reply and did the same after 15 days but no luck. Maybe i'm on a blacklist :)

Inactivity. That's why @komo opened this thread :S
    In meantime I also found $2.25/mont relatively stable asian VPS deal. Real thing! :) Something what's really hard to get for this money and many LEB people would want to... but sadly discoveries like that aren't featured at new LEB anymore even if someone name them, give URL, etc.. as long this company representative don't decide to send mail and self promote themself here.

I currently have 27 unread e-mail in my LEB inbox. It fills up faster than any inbox I own including my inbox designed for spam.

@Spirit, you've given me a great idea that I would like to run by Mark, Chief, and You. I'll send you a PM shortly.

• I have about 20 unread messages in mine too. Too lazy to reply.

• @KuJoe said: Our goal is quality posts but if it's quantity that you want we'll be glad to sacrifice quality by doing strictly copy + paste posts. ;)

You should take a look at http://cheapvpsdeals.info/ They provide tons of info about every VPS offer they post. If you compare about post quality I personally find their posts to be of better quality compared to LEB.

@biplab said: If you compare about post quality I personally find their posts to be of better quality compared to LEB.

I'm not saying we are the best. I am just saying that it can get a lot worse and our goal is to avoid that while it feels we are being pushed in that direction.

• I think @KuJoe should make his own LET/LEB for us to join.

• If only DrMike was still here.

Thanked by 1circus
  • edited March 2012

I hope LEB gets back on track soon. It's sad to load up the page every day and see no updates.

I'm sure they could find one or two more trusted members of the community to help write up offer posts if needed.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@Naruto said: Dude you're right that they should just scour the web to find hosts and post about them. Yes! That's how new hosts find out about this place. They go "oh cool this person said they heard about me on this blog?" Otherwise, they have to know about LEB to even get posted there.

I very much doubt someone who is serious about starting a Low End VPS business and does the homework didnt hear of this place. It is impossible !

I also agree LEA was successful because didnt censor much. I mean, let everyone have a chance and let everyone judge for themselves. Sure, the 7 bucks rule is absolutely needed, otherwise is not LEB, tho, these days I think the amount should be lowered to 5 $ max for a month, 50/per year or less.
    Community will tear apart anyone who didnt do their homework, LEB job is to merely point out the offers for ppl which are too busy to look in 100 places and the community will give a verdict. Regulars will know how much is that worth, newcomers can just ask.
    M

• @Maounique said: I also agree LEA was successful because didnt censor much

Duude, will you just shut up with your censorship crap?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Duude, will you just shut up with your censorship crap?

Hum, I wasnt thinking of what you are thinking, but there can be many kinds of censorship, not all bad for the freedom of speech. For example we censor here bad language and we also should censor personal attacks and threats. Mods dont have much work and that is because we censor outselves...
    Censoring offers based on some (arbitrary in my view) criteria which end up favouring some and blocking others (I think) is not a good idea, but I can only give my two cents on it, it is not me who can decide the editorial policy.
    Also, in the Tor discussion case I never actually protested against any provider's right to block through ToS/AuP any kind of usage, be it legal or illegal, I was just protesting against the uninformed c**p those ppl were pouring on something I believe in. There is one thing to not allow X and Y in your house and completely another to start spreading lies in the neighbourhood about them. Even if there were others that made up the lies in the first place
    M

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited March 2012

@Maounique said: but there can be many kinds of censorship, not all bad for the freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is irreverent here. It is a right against Government, not private companies/individuals. In the US where there is still the illusion of freedom, speech that you may be ok with limiting is a very slippery slope. Most recent memory being the church that protests at fallen service member funerals spewing hateful comments that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan promote homosexuality. How they draw a line from point A and arrive at point B with this is mind boggling, but as the SCOTUS has ruled, it is still protected speech. This is a freedom as I understand it to protect the speech we disagree with most.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Maounique said: I very much doubt someone who is serious about starting a Low End VPS business and does the homework didnt hear of this place. It is impossible !

Assuming that LEB is whole world in hosting industry...
    Low End VPS business didn't start with lowendbox.com site. welcome2inter.net, datarealm.com, vps4less.de, thesrv... and some other hosts which was among first featured at LEB didn't concentrate their business around this site, they didn't start with sending coupons, they don't bother admins every month to be featured here however this could be the main reason why they are after so many years still in business with solid-rock performance.
    You can't expect that every host in industry will self-promote themself here and if they don't do... you don't wan't to hear about them in case that they have some interesting offer/location/something else.. with budget LEB price?

Many new hosts concentrate their whole business just around this site, they depend from this site and if things don't go well here they become history, but this is not the whole world of hosting industry.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@Spirit pretty much nailed it ...

• CoreyCorey Member

@ Spirit

Assuming that LEB is whole world in hosting industry...

Low End VPS business didn't start with lowendbox.com site. welcome2inter.net, datarealm.com, vps4less.de, thesrv... and some other hosts which was among first featured at LEB didn't concentrate their business around this site, they didn't start with sending coupons, they don't bother admins every month to be featured here however this could be the main reason why they are after so many years still in business with solid-rock performance.

You can't expect that every host in industry will self-promote themself here and if they don't do... you don't wan't to hear about them in case that they have some interesting offer/location/something else.. with budget LEB price?
    Many new hosts concentrate their whole business just around this site, they depend from this site and if things don't go well here they become history, but this is not the whole world of hosting industry.

So by your theory 50% of the businesses that were posted on lowendbox should be out of business by now, because it's been Oct 2011 since an offer has been posted on LEB from us (even though we've sent one) - we've had a total of two offers in 2011 and 3 in 2010... yet I've seen some more popular providers get posted more frequently.

I don't know how 'new hosts' build their business around this site when even we have only been posted a few times a year.