Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS "joins" Redhat
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• so centos no more?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@dnwk Read the announcement, it isn't going anywhere

• javajjavaj Member
    edited January 2014

The new website looks good, long overdue too.

And it looks like Xen is now back or at least "Xen4CentOS will become easier to consume with
    a git.centos.org being setup".

• @dnwk said:
    so centos no more?

Centos is very imporant for redhat. projects starting out go to centos because the want the easy port over to redhat when they can aford support.

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited January 2014

That's great news! Next step: drop CentOS and offer unlicensed versions of RHEL instead. Not having to wait for both Red Hat and CentOS to roll an update before it's available would be awesome. That's the only thing I don't like about CentOS, there's always a delay after a new RHEL release (even though it's getting much faster).

Oops: "In summary: we retain an upstream." Guess this is not gonna change anytime soon :$

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2014

From what I know CentOS was becoming crappier in various aspects as of late, and many people have been migrating to ScientificLinux, which despite the name is just the same concept as CentOS, but executed better.
    Point is, even if CentOS goes away, there is already a good alternative.

Thanked by 2Zen Infinity
  • rm_ said: From what I know CentOS was becoming crappier in various aspects as of late, and many people have been migrating to ScientificLinux

That was the trend 2 years ago yeah... but a lot of people realized this is useless. CentOS is still the goto RHEL clone.

• I liked the old website better. Looked more serious. Also, typos

to come together and be able to buld on the CentOS Linux platform

• @wojons said:

Isn't they doing that on Fedora ?

• I hope centOS doesn't become paid software

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    I hope centOS doesn't become paid software

I don't think that will happen, I was more worried about them turning it into something like a new beta release for RHEL.

Hopefully not.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Maybe they merge together, so we will have something like super distribution

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@javaj They already have fedora , pretty sure they are placing centos to be a middle ground or stepping stone up to RHEL

• smansman Member
    edited January 2014

@agonyzt said:
    That's great news! Next step: drop CentOS and offer unlicensed versions of RHEL instead. Not having to wait for both Red Hat and CentOS to roll an update before it's available would be awesome. That's the only thing I don't like about CentOS, there's always a delay after a new RHEL release (even though it's getting much faster).

Oops: "In summary: we retain an upstream." Guess this is not gonna change anytime soon :$

That is my biggest beef with CentOS as well. I would assume that won't be such an issue anymore when you have people on the inside.