Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host Issues with IPMI and hardware - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host Issues with IPMI and hardware

2»

Comments

• qps said: They are absolutely update-able; there was a new firmware released August 23 for the BMC. I believe they were manufactured through 2012, so some of them are still relatively new.

Not via any official means they aren't. For clarification, these are all units built for a specific OEM and Dell refuses to support them anymore.

So to say, any official fwupdates will tell you that it was 'designed for cloud server 6100, but your system is XS-TY3.'

Trust me, I tried. Now, if you have the raw fw file somewhere that you wouldn't mind sharing for the last few iterations, and a handy guide on EEPROM flashing for this particular IC, I'd be interested.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

Wintereise said: Trust me, I tried. Now, if you have the raw fw file somewhere that you wouldn't mind sharing for the last few iterations, and a handy guide on EEPROM flashing for this particular IC, I'd be interested.

Check out:
    http://poweredgec.com/latest_fw.html

We've had no issues using the C6100 firmware on our XS23-TY3.

Add me on Skype if you want to discuss further (user: QuickPacket).

• @qps said:
    Do you know which version of the BMC firmware you have loaded on there?

Here's what the panel indicates:

Firmware Revision : 01.04.28014
    AuxFirmwareRevision : 28014
    Build Time : Oct 1 2009 19:50:01

• qps said: We've had no issues using the C6100 firmware on our XS23-TY3.

Fairly certain we've tried this once already, but sure -- I'll let you know.

edited January 2014

daxterfellowes said: Firmware Revision : 01.04.28014 AuxFirmwareRevision : 28014 Build Time : Oct 1 2009 19:50:01

You have 1.04. The current version is 1.33. You can get the firmware at the link above.

If you're interested in some assistance, message me on Skype and I can walk you through the procedure we use.

Thanked by 1DigitalDuke
  • @qps - What's your Skype?

• @qps - how are doing the firmware upgrade?

Last time I looked at this - KCSFlash barfed and SOCFlash succeeded and nuked the IPMI

Whats the trick to make it actually work?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Any idea how to go about this update on a C1100 (I'd assume it's similar to the C6100)

[root@devbox drac]# ./dcsfwul -e=0 -i=/root/drac/PEC1100Bmc170/firm.bin

CloudEdge Firmware Update Utility
       Copyright 2010 Avocent Corp. All Rights Reserved.
       Failed to Load Library

Keep running into the Failed to Load Library :/

edited January 2014

MarkTurner said: how are doing the firmware upgrade?

Last time I looked at this - KCSFlash barfed and SOCFlash succeeded and nuked the IPMI

Whats the trick to make it actually work?

There's no trick. Just follow the directions. You can even update the BMC firmware through the web interface.

I will add that with some of the ones with really old firmware, we had to upgrade it to a slightly newer version first before it would take the newest version.

• I remember I had a DRAC 5/i I put in a PowerEdge 2950 which hadn't had a firmware update to the BMC for a few years. The DRAC 5/i had a newer firmware (but not the newest) and it didn't work until I updated the BMC firmware. Then I had to update the DRAC firmware for everything to work right.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    MarkTurner the HP iLO 2 that's on the server with Delimiter works great! Never had an issue with it responding. Although remote virtual media is wonky slow, but that's just virtual media in general. Your staff even said they'll remote mount for me if I ever needed to again.

The remote virtual media is only slow if you're mounting a local ISO over the Java applet. You can instead SSH into the ILO CLI and mount a remote URL to the virtual media cdrom instead. Here's a quick guide how:

1: Connect to the ILO-2 CLI

ssh -o MACs=hmac-sha1 $ILO_USER@$ILO_IP

Restricting the list of MACs offered is necessary because the version of the ILO-2's embedded SSH server (mpSSH) does not accept key exchange payloads over a few kb, instead of the 35kb the SSH protocol spec requires. Recent versions of OpenSSH by default offer a LOT of MAC algorithms, enough that restricting it down to just one keeps the key exchange payload size low enough to work (ssh -vvv $SOMEWHERE to see just how many). The restriction on the payload size is mainly because the ILO has a very limited amount of memory, and because ILO-2 is old enough that it was never an issue at the time of development.

This may actually have been fixed in some version of ILO-2, so you may want to try without first.

2: Connect virtual media cdrom with a URL

vm cdrom insert http://$ISO_HOST_IP/$ISO_PATH

e.g. To mount a CentOS 6.5 ISO hosted by Optus (Australian ISP):

vm cdrom insert http://211.29.132.60/centos/6.5/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.5-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso

Then:

vm cdrom set boot_once
    vm cdrom set connect

You may be able to use hostname rather than IP, but the DNS probably isn't configured on the ILO, so IP is your best bet. That said, you'll have to find a URL for the ISO that doesn't use the hostname to determine what actual server to send the request to (so for example you can't use any URLs served by CloudFlare). Or, host it on a server of your own.

3: Reboot the server

reset /system1

4: Enjoy faster virtual media

At least assuming the ISO's host isn't trash.

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • @Shados said:
    At least assuming the ISO's host isn't trash.

Wow, that's awesome. I do it through the Java applet, only because I know of no other way. However this will greatly increase load times!