Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many times have you been scammed by a host? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many times have you been scammed by a host?

Comments

• @manacit said:
    I bought the yearly offer at the bottom of this: http://lowendbox.com/blog/whitelabelhosting-20year-256mb-xen-vps-in-seattle/

$150/year, it was gone in ~4 months with all of my data. I learned my lesson!

@gskellig said:
    I bought the exact same deal. I'm "Conor" in that thread. They responded to tickets within the hour until one day they dropped off the face of the internet.
    Paid for 12 months, got 5. Lost all my data. =(

Now that's funny. Because @WhiteLabelHosting is no one else than @Zen today.

@Zen said:
    Twice:

1. Rus Foster

2. http://www.webfusion.co.uk/

WebFusion decided to invent a 12 month contract when I wanted to cancel, when confronting their manager about this - they could not reference any point of the ToS where it mentioned a contract, nor the contract itself.

• Ah, I also forgot about ShardHost disappearing with my annual prepaid service.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@vRozenSch00n said:
    I won't tell who they are, because I don't want any "defamation" aftermath.

Pretty sure that's only a problem with untrue statements. If you give the full story, there should be no issue.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • vRozenSch00n said: After running my VPS for 4 days, I got an abused notification and the provider terminated my service without refund.

Was it burst ram or guaranteed ram?

• manacit said: I bought the yearly offer at the bottom of this: http://lowendbox.com/blog/whitelabelhosting-20year-256mb-xen-vps-in-seattle/

$150/year, it was gone in ~4 months with all of my data. I learned my lesson!

Doesn't the old owner of WhiteLabelHosting go by, @zen here?

• Not once... Yes I did just knock on wood.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • Anyone remember HostRail? :)

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • W2 Servers, god damn you Lyron Foster!

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited January 2014

When I shut down that business, it was a forced decision more than anything. **I'm certainly not going to go into detail on LET**,

Of course not, details? meh, when it comes to posting offers to the LET crowd, thanking LET users for feedback/reviews, noting the color of the second resistor on RAID card well that's a different matter...

Thanked by 1Zen
  • For the record, @Zen contacted immediately, apologized and refunded my losses. It's certainly a million times more than the majority of deadpoolers have done around here, and I have to commend him for taking full responsibility for his mistakes, and actually doing something to make amends.

• Rallias said: Was it burst ram or guaranteed ram?

Guaranteed ram

• amjamj Member
    • JustGotVPS (2008)
    • Your1Hoster (2009)
    • UptimeVPS (2011)
    • Avante Hosting (2012)
    • Conn8ct (2013)
    • Micohosting (2013)
    • ShardHost (2013)
    Thanked by 1myhken
  • The only one leave me with the money is just RackVM. They just gone away at that time.

But after that, I tried soo many hosts. If the providers not good enough, I will cancel the service within 7 days, but most of them are not asked to be refunded, or will not bother to refund me, and most of them don't asked me why I cancelled the services with them.

After so much testing, many of them is not worth to trust the data, not worth the time to configure the server itself.

Some, having a big ram, but with worse disk performance. Some having a nice disk, but with worse network. And some, having a big ram, but with worse disk and network.

So, after having some experience with many LowEnd providers, I will just stay with some of them. I will just stay with Prometeus, FitVPS, NECS, Frontrangehosting, or Connectindo (Indonesian Provider)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • ironhideironhide Member
    edited January 2014

Still Lucky. Haven't been scammed yet. :)

Had very very bad experience with Zeneva ( http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/17450/zeneva-net-absolute-frustration ), however I got my money back.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Also been pretty lucky here, been with MiniVPS, Ramnode, INIZ, Cloudshards, BlueVM, LES, HTTPZoom and Catalyst.

All have been brilliant for my needs, and have not let me down :)

(Thanks to all those hosts!)

Thanked by 3myhken ryanarp MartinD
  • I got scammed by cheetahhost aka Randal from rlt. I worked for him for over 3 months with a promise of after we get our payout this month I am gonna pay you the money that I owe you guys. It's crazy the things you believe when you are younger.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Just go with the top 10 hosts here, should cover 95% of all needs, including locations, and chances to deadpool are small.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Or be willing to take a risk to lose some buck or two, try also some others and discover some great hosts who offer at least as good if not better service than some popular "top 10" hosts. ;-)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Anyone know exactly what happened with ShardHost?

• @Heinz said:
    Or be willing to take a risk to lose some buck or two, try also some others and discover some great hosts who offer at least as good if not better service than some popular "top 10" hosts. ;-)

As I wrote in the first post, I don't see any problem with testing out new hosts, My favorite hosts was all found, taking a risk.
    I have lost hundreds of dollars on bad hosting, slow servers, slow network, downtime, slow support etc etc, don't consider that scam. Thats the risk you are taking with new hosts, and the risk is higher with low priced servers.

My approach, is that I buy VPS service from new host at least 30 days, and then normally not using the server to anything else to monitor the CPU load, network speeds, uptime etc. Maybe start a ticket to see the response time (not a so important criteria for me using unmanaged hosting). If all checks out, then I will use the service. If not, I move on to the next host. Do almost at anytime have 3-4 hosts I test out like that.

A scam for me is when you pay for a product, and you don't get it at all, or it is gone after 1 month, and you have paid for 12.
    Of course, heavily overselling can also be seen as a scam, if your not @Prometeus and actually sell product from a domain/company called OverZold. Then you can't call it a scam if the server is oversold.

• Few times with small hosting providers.
    Never trust them again.

• VPNVPN Member

We got 'scammed' by ViLayer. Paid for a box for 3 months, £290 every 3 months.

I was doing some bits and accidentally removed something that had altered ifconfig.
    Not that big a deal, I knew how to fix it. Opened a ticket and they put it in to 'Rescue-Pro' mode (they are an OVH reseller), connected via SSH and repaired the configuration. Rebooted into normal kernel and tested with a ping and all worked. Went to connect and the root password had changed.

Tried to change it in the control panel (using the OVH API) and it wasn't having any of it.
    Contacted support again and got told that the kernel had been corrupted and that we needed to pay £80 to fix it!

• 1 time by Bandwagon Host

• @Twinker said:
    1 time by Bandwagon Host

:O really? I have been using one of their vps since July/August and support+service has been top-notch

How were you scammed?

• VPNVPN Member
    edited January 2014

@Twinker said:
    1 time by Bandwagon Host

Lol, there was me thinking that Bandwagon Host was you referring sarcastically to an otherwise unknown host and then I just spotted their million dollar budget advert on the right. They really are called that ha.

Thanked by 1dhamaniasad
  • Well .. in the internet today there are a lot of new scams so we all need to be careful.. It would help if we all get to check if the company has been standing for long and have good reputation.

• VolumeDrive

• @interserverML said:
    Well .. in the internet today there are a lot of new scams so we all need to be careful.. It would help if we all get to check if the company has been standing for long and have good reputation.

A smart thing, but not all true. Take Backupsy, they are less then one year old, but had some great deals from the start. No guarantee that they would survive.
    Prometeus has 16 years in the business. But if no took the risk with newer companies, will would/will mist great companies. (and lots of bad)

• myhken said: A smart thing, but not all true. Take Backupsy, they are less then one year old, but had some great deals from the start. No guarantee that they would survive. Prometeus has 16 years in the business. But if no took the risk with newer companies, will would/will mist great companies. (and lots of bad)

+1

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

@Twinker said:
    1 time by Bandwagon Host

I'd love to know the details :)