Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Other hosts in Europe that using CloudStack (like iwstack.com)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Other hosts in Europe that using CloudStack (like iwstack.com)

myhkenmyhken Member
edited January 2014 in General

I'm using iwStack.com (from Prometeus) and I'm loving it. I really like that I can create new servers as I need them, only pay for them when I use them, then turn them off or destroy them. And of course, really good hardware in the cloud, that makes it really fast, and stable.

I never have all my eggs in one basket, and I'm now wondering about the possible to cut down on servers and providers, if I could get one other cloud host like iwStack.

I really like CloudStack, but maybe there are other systems that is as good, or better?

My requirements are as follows:

1. Pay as you go account
  2. No charges for instances that is turned off (but OK with charges for disk and IP)
  3. The possible to upload and use my own .iso files.
  4. The possible to create own templates.
  5. Datacenter in Europe

I have only found exoscale.ch (based in Switzerland) that offer most of the same thing that iwStack.com do (no snapshots yet) but, it's seems like they do charge for instances that not run, and their prices is insane high compared with iwstack.
Etc: 1 GB RAM, 1vcore, 10 GB HDD = €31.8/mo at exoscale and €5.4/mo at iwstack.com

Can anybody match iwstack at all, or at least come near? And what other cloud hosts are there that offer the same as iwstack (beside price).

Thanked by 2Jules philpav

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

Well, Digital Ocean satisfies the 1,3,4,5 requirements (NL). If you want to turn it off you can always snapshot it and destroy the VM (and chances are when you create a new one you'll have the same IP, because DO does that to prevent spam I think).

Thanked by 1myhken
  • DO was fast, already using my first server there now. But still wonder if there is anybody out there that also meet criteria 2?

• said: Can anybody match iwstack at all,

no.

• @myhken said:
    I'm using iwStack.com (from Prometeus) and I'm loving it. I really like that I can create new servers as I need them, only pay for them when I use them, then turn them off or destroy them. And of course, really good hardware in the cloud, that makes it really fast, and stable.

I never have all my eggs in one basket, and I'm now wondering about the possible to cut down on servers and providers, if I could get one other cloud host like iwStack.

I really like CloudStack, but maybe there are other systems that is as good, or better?

My requirements are as follows:

>
    1. Pay as you go account
    2. >
    3. No charges for instances that is turned off (but OK with charges for disk and IP)
    4. >
    5. The possible to upload and use my own .iso files.
    6. >
    7. The possible to create own templates.
    8. >
    9. Datacenter in Europe
    10. >

I have only found exoscale.ch (based in Switzerland) that offer most of the same thing that iwStack.com do (no snapshots yet) but, it's seems like they do charge for instances that not run, and their prices is insane high compared with iwstack.
    Etc: 1 GB RAM, 1vcore, 10 GB HDD = €31.8/mo at exoscale and €5.4/mo at iwstack.com

Can anybody match iwstack at all, or at least come near? And what other cloud hosts are there that offer the same as iwstack (beside price).

I know this doesn't help you; however iwStack really is quite special, especially in Europe. I've used a large number of European cloud providers for personal projects and all had their shortcomings.

• @perennate said:
    Well, Digital Ocean satisfies the 1,3,4,5 requirements (NL). If you want to turn it off you can always snapshot it and destroy the VM (and chances are when you create a new one you'll have the same IP, because DO does that to prevent spam I think).

It's seems like DO do not have the possible to let customers upload their own .iso files. Can't find anyplace in CP that allow it, and can't find anything in the help section about uploading .iso files to the cloud.

• @Virtovo said:
    I know this doesn't help you; however iwStack really is quite special, especially in Europe. I've used a large number of European cloud providers for personal projects and all had their shortcomings.

Of course, it's a good thing that iwstack is so good. But strange that there is no other company that remotely match them.

• @myhken said:
    Of course, it's a good thing that iwstack is so good. But strange that there is no other company that remotely match them.

a matter of time.

• @myhken CloudSigma in Switzerland seems to meet your criteria: https://www.cloudsigma.com/

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @craigb said:
    myhken CloudSigma in Switzerland seems to meet your criteria: https://www.cloudsigma.com/

Thanks, but the price is still way beyond what I'm willing to pay for a backup system.
    They charges €33/mo for a 1 GB RAM, 10 GB HDD server.

Thats around (€35) the same as I pay @iwstack for 1 x 512 MB 40 GB HDD, 1 x 1 GB 10 GB HDD, 2 x 2 GB 20 GB instances, with two 20 GB templates and one .iso file.

• JulesJules Member
    edited January 2014

Did you try :
    In English http://express.ikoula.co.uk/public-cloud
    In French http://express.ikoula.com/cloud-public
    CloudStack 4.2 Backend (VPC, Free LoadBalancer, 3 zones with Adavance routing and basic routing)
    15 days of free trial.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited January 2014

Has anyone tried/reviewed SeFlow's cloud?
    http://seflow.net/ecloud/
    http://seflow.net/ecloud/prezzi.php

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @Jules said:
    Did you try :
    In English http://express.ikoula.co.uk/public-cloud

Has most of the features of iwstack yes. Not completely sure if they charges when the instance is turned off or not. It's seems like they are not charging for stopped instances.
    But they cap the bandwidth to 10mbit, if you want a 100mbit connection, thats €134.6/month extra. Thats more then insane...

But all the other specs are pretty good, "only" €17/mo for a 1 GB RAM 100 GB disk plan.

• Mark_R said: a matter of time.

lol

• There's nobody on the same level to match them because the initial funding required is huge. Pretty sure Sal spent over 100k eur.

• 100k eur

Well invested as far as I can see, and feel. My iwstack servers are really good.
    Seems like I'm stuck with my current backup situation, using several other hosts, several other servers around Europe, using rsync for the files, Navicat for my DB and Virtualmin backup for CP backups and fast restore.

Of course, are testing DigitalOcean now. The way I'm find them worthy for me, is to monitor load, disk speeds and uptime in at least one month. If all checks out, then maybe they can replace any of my current backup servers.

• @Jacob said:
    There's nobody on the same level to match them because the initial funding required is huge. Pretty sure Sal spent over 100k eur.

100k in servers is not much anymore.

• There is no substitute for 15 years experience of testing and running, testing and running and testing and running over a wide range of hardware and software and that is what Prometeus possess that the other companies don't. A lot of the new companies CEOs were probably wanking each other off in high school when Uncle Sal was already an old hand. There is no substitute for experience and solid financing and management and even if a company has the latter it may not have the former.

Thanked by 3myhken Dylan netomx
  • I agree, and hope you understand that I have no intension to leave iwStack, but I want to cut down the numbers of other servers outside iwstack.com and maybe put them in the cloud. But I will never have all my eggs in one basket, so I will never base all my server at only one provider, regardless how good they are.

• @myhken said:
    I agree, and hope you understand that I have no intension to leave iwStack, but I want to cut down the numbers of other servers outside iwstack.com and maybe put them in the cloud. But I will never have all my eggs in one basket, so I will never base all my server at only one provider, regardless how good they are.

That is something I worry about too. Even if they are perfect in every aspect they can be affected by things outside their control

• I am really happy with iwstack. Don't think any one can match that quality and low price.