Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PREMIUM Domains? What is going on with the price?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PREMIUM Domains? What is going on with the price?

liutonyliutony Member
edited July 2 in General

Could someone explain how premium domains work? I want to purchase a domain that has the tag "PREMIUM" on it and is overpriced, should I buy it now or should I wait for a bit until the price come back to normal eventually?

Comments

• edited July 2

I guess you are talking about a domain classified as "premium" by it's registry. I hate be the bearer of bad news but unless there's some kind of policy change it's not going to "come down" as sitting on it until the end of time costs them exactly $0.00. There's a ton of silly domains out there with massive price tags probably no sane person is ever going to pay but as long as some sell at those inflated prices the business model works.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sometimes you are able to find a domain registrar that doesn't consider that specific domain premium.
    Most of them do though, pure scam.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Which "premium" are you referring to?

Aftermarket "premium", or registry "premium"?

If it's the latter, it's very unlikely the price will change (or drop), as that's set by the registry :smiley:

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • liutonyliutony Member

@DP said:
    Which "premium" are you referring to?

Aftermarket "premium", or registry "premium"?

If it's the latter, it's very unlikely the price will change (or drop), as that's set by the registry :smiley:

registry "premium"

• liutonyliutony Member

@Neoon said:
    Sometimes you are able to find a domain registrar that doesn't consider that specific domain premium.

I try to buy it from two places, spaceship and namecheap where the price is still normal (went to porkbun to check, cost few hundreds) and all failed to purchase, paid normally, and got a refund after 1 min.

• @liutony said:

@Neoon said:

I try to buy it from two places, spaceship and namecheap where the price is still normal (went to porkbun to check, cost few hundreds) and all failed to purchase, paid normally, and got a refund after 1 min.

Registrars don't have a say in this and if they accidentally list at wrong price you'll experience what you are describing.

• liutonyliutony Member

@totally_not_banned said:

Registrars don't have a say in this and if they accidentally list at wrong price you'll experience what you are describing.

So domain price should be same everywhere?

• bootboot Member

premium.me
    PREMIUM
    $500,000.00
    Renews at $20.98/yr

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @liutony said:

@totally_not_banned said:

So domain price should be same everywhere?

It's set by the guys running the extension, so unless some registrar feels like donating the price difference to you (not going to happen) as some kind of charitable gift you are not going to get around the "premium" pricing. It's basically a take it or leave it type of deal. Either you feel the "premium" price is worth it or you'll have to look into alternatives.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Domain name mafia!

Thanked by 1borowsky