Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH charged me for 60 Euro
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH charged me for 60 Euro

YukiChanYukiChan Member

I no longer use my service, but I forgot to cancel my service from my public cloud and also it's FREETRIAL for the public cloud hasn't expired. I noticed that my email OVH had charged me 60 euros, I went to contact support and they said we can't do anything you have to pay it back.

Also, I am an EU citizen

Comments

• MumblyMumbly Member

Pretty standard trap with those 'free trial for the first month, you can cancel anytime' deals. It's not their fault, though, as you didn't cancel it.

• xHostsxHosts Member, Patron Provider

If you fail to cancel before it renews that is not their fault. Best advise is cancel services at least 3 days before its due or keep your card frozen unless you are using it

• YukiChanYukiChan Member

I have cancelled my service at yesterday, but it's pending payment. Do I have to pay back or not? Because I am not interested in using OVH service in the future.

• CalmDownCalmDown Member

@YukiChan said: I forgot to cancel

Your mistake. If you will chargeback- you will lose that case. It's not OVH's responsibility to follow upon your subscriptions.

Thanked by 2NetDynamics24 bdl
  • edited July 2

@YukiChan said:
    I have cancelled my service at yesterday, but it's pending payment. Do I have to pay back or not? Because I am not interested in using OVH service in the future.

If it was already due at that point there's no way out. There might be other deadlines in regards to cancelation (like at least 2 weeks in advance) but at the most basic level if it's due it's due. Like @Mumbly said sucking people, which later wont cancel on time, in is the sole purpose of those first month free/half price/whatever deals.

edited July 2

@CalmDown said:

@YukiChan said: I forgot to cancel

Your mistake. If you will chargeback- you will lose that case. It's not OVH's responsibility to follow upon your subscriptions.

They haven't taken my money yet, I used a prepaid card, but it's OVH Public Cloud

@totally_not_banned said:

@YukiChan said:

If it was already due at that point there's no way out. There might be other deadlines in regards to cancelation (like at least 2 weeks in advance) but at the most basic level if it's due it's due. Like @Mumbly said sucking people, which later wont cancel on time, in is the sole purpose of those first month free/half price/whatever deals.

Yeah you are right

• edited July 2

If you gave them your real contact details, they will send a dept collector after you, if you don’t pay. 100%

Tip for the future: Always cancel on the first day of the contract, right after you have signed it. The service will still be provided for the trial duration and is going to expire automatically after the trial ends.

After I got „tricked“ by Adobe many years ago, the first thing I do after signing up for a trial is to cancel it. They forced me to pay 600€+ after the trial ended (obviously my fault for not reading the contract details when signing + forgot cancelling on time). „Luckily“ I could downgrade to a cheaper subscription and „only“ needed to pay them 200€…

• LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2

Dept collectors incoming for those in ignore…

P.s.

1. Always go as john doe or pablo escobar in credentials;
    2. Always vpn;
    3. Always one time cc;
    4. Always submit cancellation at the end of billing period;
    5. Always confirm cancelation via email;

@lowendtalkxdax said:
    If you gave them your real contact details, they will send a dept collector after you, if you don’t pay. 100%

Tip for the future: Always cancel on the first day of the contract, right after you have signed it. The service will still be provided for the trial duration and is going to expire automatically after the trial ends.

After I got „tricked“ by Adobe many years ago, the first thing I do after signing up for a trial is to cancel it. They forced me to pay 600€+ after the trial ended (obviously my fault for not reading the contract details when signing + forgot cancelling on time). „Luckily“ I could downgrade to a cheaper subscription and „only“ needed to pay them 200€…

I use random contact details like name and address.

This is an awful story. Adobe got sued by the FTC because of that

• edited July 2

@YukiChan said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

Depends on jurisdiction and circumstances. At least where i am using fake details on free products is not illegal as there is no intention to skirt charges but as soon as the latter comes into the picture it's considered fraud (which isn't to far off with these type of not-really-all-that-free deals). Ideally one just avoids these bait offers altogether or just cancels on time.

Thanked by 1YukiChan
  • I had a 15$ invoice from 2019 that was never paid and nothing happened.

Thanked by 1YukiChan

@BigDongLong said:
    I had a 15$ invoice from 2019 that was never paid and nothing happened.

Oh which hosting service?

• @YukiChan said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

This is an awful story. Adobe got sued by the FTC because of that

If you used a random address + throwaway card with random address as well, there is no way they can find you. Simply sit back and relax. If they got your real address however, you will be forced to pay the original invoice + interest + debt collector fee.

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

How d hell does ovh or any host use a payment system that accepts a random address + throwaway card with random address?

What's the catch here?

• ehabehab Member

@YukiChan

sorry to hear.

my advise is pay

close this chapter and learn to cancel on time.

don't worry --- you will feel better tomorrow.

have a nice day

• vitobottavitobotta Member

It's your mistake so it would be silly to do a charge back and you would lose anyway.

Thanked by 2NetDynamics24 bdl
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Levi said:
    Dept collectors incoming for those in ignore…

P.s.

1. Always go as john doe or pablo escobar in credentials;
    2. Always vpn;
    3. Always one time cc;
    4. Always submit cancellation at the end of billing period;
    5. Always confirm cancelation via email;

That actually, is not sound advice. Us at Layer, and many other hosts would appreciate you using real credentials. Just because you want to avoid something, doesn't make sense to do this as a loophole...

Sure, use a VPN, always submit cancellation requests before due dates etc. However, unless the provider is fine with fake credentials, don't do it. It can jeopradize your account in the future as well, in case the host goes "Hah! John Travolta? From South Dakota? With a Chinese mobile number? Cancel all services and ban!"

You'll end up coming back to LET, and say that your host cancelled your services and disabled new orders :(

• defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

@Levi said: Dept collectors incoming for those in ignore…

you realise debt collectors are completely powerless right? no more power than u or me

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2

@TarZZ92 said:

@Levi said: Dept collectors incoming for those in ignore…

you realise debt collectors are completely powerless right? no more power than u or me

Aha. Somewhere in africa maybe. In civil world they just take money from your bank account.

P.s. to be sure that we understand each other: debt collectors = bailif.

• @YukiChan said:

@BigDongLong said:
    I had a 15$ invoice from 2019 that was never paid and nothing happened.

Oh which hosting service?

Their old VPS on the CA website. They never migrated my US account either, probably have too many customers to worry about some tiny unpaid dollars.

• But if you're gonna use OVH cloud, you might as well use Oracle cloud since they offer real dedicated epyc genoa cores (physical I think) not like some certain providers here who offer LowEnd™ soggy biscuit "dedicated" cores.

• JasonMJasonM Member

@YukiChan said: Do I have to pay back or not?

if you have no other services live with ovh, then forget about paying them.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

@Levi said: Aha. Somewhere in africa maybe. In civil world they just take money from your bank account.

UK, us europe i was talking about,

bailiffs cannot take money from ya bank either, only a court can do that.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

People, are you serious? If you have a debt and believe that it is the result of your mistakes, then you just need to pay it off and learn from the experience. I am not religious, but I believe in karma.

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • WolfWolf Member

I don't even understand the problem.
    You signed a contract and now you regret not cancelling on time?

OVH and many (bigger) European companies will hunt you down for even $1, so just pay what you owe them and learn from your mistake. Sad to hear the support is not helpful, but that's what I expected.

edited July 2

@Wolf said:
    I don't even understand the problem.
    You signed a contract and now you regret not cancelling on time?

OVH and many (bigger) European companies will hunt you down for even $1, so just pay what you owe them and learn from your mistake. Sad to hear the support is not helpful, but that's what I expected.

There are no contracts at FREETRIAL for Public Cloud, which is left for 157.08 Euro, also they don't expire self when the service is still ongoing, also there are no cancel subscription services options, only there are add or delete services. They just baited me, I am thinking of payback and forgetting about OVH in the future

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/X40lI6h.png

• WolfWolf Member

There is a contractual agreement in place, and the no-cost trial period ends either when your account balance is depleted or a month has passed since you started using the service. Terminating all services would have averted this, as it's not a permanent subscription plan but rather a charge per individual service.

• bdlbdl Member

Pay up and move on