Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware - Do not use Namecheap or Spaceship for email hosting - Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beware - Do not use Namecheap or Spaceship for email hosting - Review

GulfGulf Member
edited July 2 in Reviews

As we previously discussed in other threads.

I host some websites on Namecheap shared hosting. I only receive mail, do not send anything.
I use Jellyfish spam protection.

On Monday, I received a spam attack on one of domains. This kind of spam.

They suspended entire account with the reason:
hosting was suspended as there were 500 similar of emails queued on the server.

--

This means their spam protection called Jellyfish does not work. It bypasses all spam.
And if you receive (not send) about 500 spam messages, they will suspend your account.
Any competitor can send you 500 spams and sabotage your business.

The same applies to Spaceship Shared, Namecheap Private Email, Speceship Private Email.

Thanked by 2JasonM Naomii

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Suspension for receiving spam? Something does not add up here…

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • GulfGulf Member

@Levi said:
    Suspension for receiving spam? Something does not add up here…

Yes, exactly. Suspension for receiving mail.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2

Reason for suspension:
    Incoming Queue - 546 emails

Received 546 similar spam emails with this content and was suspended.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@Gulf said:
    The same applies to Spaceship Shared, Namecheap Private Email, Speceship Private Email.

How do you know the same rule applies to all the above services?

• GulfGulf Member

@JosephF said:

I previously used Namecheap Private Email. And they suspended the same way.
    If you receive 500-1000 spams, they will suspend you.

Spaceship uses the email infra of NameCheap. The same IPs, soft, etc. So expect the same treatment.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Gulf said:

@JosephF said:

What the hell?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

• GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2

@MikeA said:
    What the hell?

Suspending entire account for receiving mail is an insane practice. Never seen anywhere.
    What is interesting is that their own spam protection bypassed this obvious spam (link above).

• LeviLevi Member

What support says about that?

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • gianggiang Veteran

@Gulf said:

@JosephF said:

Spaceship uses the email infra of NameCheap. The same IPs, soft, etc. So expect the same treatment.

You did have the same issue why still use them 2nd time?

• GulfGulf Member

@Levi said:
    What support says about that?

Not helped. Told to wait for abuse dept, etc.
    Abuse dept of Namecheap is not online 24/7, works only on work days.
    So if they suspend you, do not expect prompt reply.

• GulfGulf Member

@giang said:
    You did have the same issue why still use them 2nd time?

First I used Private Email, then tried "unlimited" shared hosting.

Thanked by 1giang
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

Anything shared isn't unlimited. And nothing is unlimited.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2

@SirFoxy said:

Yes, they provide 300-600k inodes, on unlimited shared plans.
    But anyway, they will ban you even if you use just 10% of inodes.
    500 emails = about 500 inodes

But they will suspend the entire hosting account, with all domains, even if you received spam on one.

Competitors could annoy you.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Gulf said:

@SirFoxy said:

Yes, they provide 300-600k inodes, on unlimited shared plans.
    But anyway, they will ban you even if you use just 10% of inodes.
    500 emails = about 500 inodes

But they will suspend the entire hosting account, with all domains, even if you received spam on one.

Competitors could annoy you.

Tbh, I've never really used Namecheap, but Spaceship, a Namecheap-owned brand has always done me right.

If you really got banned for receiving too many spam emails, just spin up a Mailcow server and set your own rules.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • LeviLevi Member

@SirFoxy said:

What happens when unlimited collides totally limited?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Levi said:

@SirFoxy said:

What happens when unlimited collides totally limited?

Pandora's box

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2

@Gulf said:
    I host some websites on Namecheap shared hosting. I only receive mail, do not send anything.

I can imagine that from Namecheap's perspective, if you attract so much spam of this kind (so quickly?), then you appear to be a problematic customer, especially if you only have an entry-level shared hosting account from them -- it's simply not worthwhile for them to try to keep you

This means their spam protection called Jellyfish does not work. It bypasses all spam.
    And if you receive (not send) about 500 spam messages, they will suspend your account.

I suspect that it's the kind of spam + the quantity that's an issue for them, and not simply the quantity alone

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2

@angstrom said:

@Gulf said:

I can imagine that from Namecheap's perspective, if you attract so much spam of this kind (so quickly?), then you appear to be a problematic customer, especially if you only have an entry-level shared hosting account from them -- it's simply not worthwhile for them to try to keep you

I suspect that it's the kind of spam + the quantity that's an issue for them, and not simply the quantity alone

Even if true, it is about receiving spam, not about some abuser sending spam. Receiving spam should not be considered an issue.

What Namecheap should do, is provide the customer with tools and filters to block spam, not suspend the customer for having an email address which got leaked to abusers, or for having subscribed to various websites with spam offers or with adult content.

edited July 2

@default said:

@angstrom said:

@Gulf said:

Even if true, it is about receiving spam, not about some abuser sending spam. Receiving spam should not be considered an issue.

What Namecheap should do, is provide the customer with tools and filters to block spam, not suspend the customer for having an email address which got leaked to abusers, or for having subscribed to various websites with spam offers or with adult content.

I suspect that as a rule, Namecheap don't allow customers to access the spam filters, or at best, they allow very minimal access to the spam filters (but this is just a guess on my part)

I would be more inclined to agree with you if this were just an ordinary case of a user receiving spam, but I suspect that we don't know the whole story (but again, this is just a guess on my part)

In any case, the OP admitted to having been suspended before:

(See https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3980426/#Comment_3980426 above)

So somehow, this doesn't seem to be just an ordinary case of a user receiving spam

And ultimately, Namecheap -- like any provider -- are free to decide that a given customer isn't worth the effort/money to try to keep

• GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2

@angstrom said:
    if you attract so much spam of this kind (so quickly?), then you appear to be a problematic customer

This is just a typical corporate mailbox. When you communicate with suppliers or clients, you leave your address in their address books. Then, these mailboxes or hosting accounts are hacked, and spammers extract all contacts from their address books, including yours. And send you spam.

I used their "professional" hosting plan, where everything is unlimited.

I added 150 domains to this account. They blocked the entire account with all domains instead of 1 domain that received spam.

• GulfGulf Member

@angstrom said:
    So somehow, this doesn't seem to be just an ordinary case of a user receiving spam

This service is just insane. Initially, I ordered Namecheap Private Email.
    Here, you pay 5$ for 1 domain.

So when you order dedicated email services, you assume there is spam protection or similar.

I rarely receive these spam attacks, maybe 1 per month. And spam is simple. Just check spf, dmark and reject it. But as a result, they suspended Private Email for receiving spam.

I cannot imagine GMail, Microsoft, Mail.ru, or Yandex suspending your domain for receiving spam. Mail and Yandex are free.

Here, you specifically pay 5$ for every domain and get suspended because they cannot filter simple spam.

@Gulf

You may well be right to have expected something better for your money -- it's hard for me to say for sure

(At the same time, complaints of this kind seem to be very rare)

Have you considered using an email provider such as MXroute for this purpose?

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GulfGulf Member

Need to migrate from here for sure. Maybe even to cPanel on VPS.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2

I suspect their Namecheap / Spaceship Private Email is just a wrapper around a cPanel hosting account. You just pay $5 for nothing.

When you order it, you expect something similar to proton or gsuite, but in reality they use just 1 server and put all these private email accounts (5$) there.

So anyone who wants to sabotage you could spam your mailbox, and you are offline.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2

@angstrom said:
    I can imagine that from Namecheap's perspective

I probably found the potential cause. But may be wrong.

When you send mail to NC, it is delivered only after about 30-60 seconds.
    On my own server, the delivery is instant.

In WHM there is a setting:

Introduce a delay into the SMTP transaction for unknown hosts and messages detected as spam.

They probably configured it this way.

So 500 spam emails = 500 open connections the server intentionally keeps for 45 seconds. This way, additional emails for other customers are not delivered.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@Gulf said:

@angstrom said:
    I can imagine that from Namecheap's perspective

I probably found the potential cause. But may be wrong.

When you send mail to NC, it is delivered only after about 30-60 seconds.
    On my own server, the delivery is instant.

In WHM there is a setting:

Introduce a delay into the SMTP transaction for unknown hosts and messages detected as spam.

They probably configured it this way.

So 500 spam emails = 500 open connections the server intentionally keeps for several seconds. This way, additional emails for other customers are not delivered.

What you suggest sounds very plausible

Earlier, I was going to suggest an analogy with a DDoS attack. It's not quite the same category, but if the 500 spam emails all arrived within a very short interval, they probably had a detrimental effect on the receiving server

• neboyshaneboysha Member

@Gulf said:

@angstrom said:
    if you attract so much spam of this kind (so quickly?), then you appear to be a problematic customer

This is just a typical corporate mailbox. When you communicate with suppliers or clients, you leave your address in their address books. Then, these mailboxes or hosting accounts are hacked, and spammers extract all contacts from their address books, including yours. And send you spam.

I used their "professional" hosting plan, where everything is unlimited.

I added 150 domains to this account. They blocked the entire account with all domains instead of 1 domain that received spam.

So you want to host 150 domains on "professional" shared hosting account. Is this any of these listed here https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/, or it is some other hosting plan in question.

This https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/ is just to good to be true and most of shared hosting providers expect you to host few sites there and not use much resources.

• @Gulf said:
    Beware - Do not use Namecheap or Spaceship

I would cut this as above.

I received a spam attack on one of domains. This kind of spam.
    "... I was able to see everything on your screen and record video and audio streams of your camera ..."

We here mostly use @jar mail.
    In case of such attacks he just subscribes the spammer to his dickpic mailing list. Being on that list surely takes some courage, so the problem usually solves itself.

• GulfGulf Member

@neboysha said:
    So you want to host 150 domains on "professional" shared hosting account. Is this any of these listed here https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/, or it is some other hosting plan in question.

Yes... these servers are probably oversold. Private Email (their dedicated email hosting) is oversold the same way.

For sure, wise people said, to use NC for domains only :D
    But now, only Spaceship. Because of price and good UI.
    Other NC / Space products are meh.