Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vocabulary training: IPv6 on Link vs. IPv6 Routed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vocabulary training: IPv6 on Link vs. IPv6 Routed

layer7layer7 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Hi,

this question might look strange, coming from a hoster but i was unable to find a clear, technical explanations about this topic.

Since a customer was asking for it, but could actually not explain what this means technically lol here my question:

What is a routed IPv6 network technically?

So what means an IPv6 network a routed one?

Thank you!

Comments

• layer7layer7 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited July 1

Hi,

thanks, i found this too.

But either i dont understand it properly ( which is definitely not impossible ) or its simply not technically described well enough for me to understand it. Also it has multiple answers that collide. And having in serverfault 22 votes is for me personally not an explanation i would bet my money on.

What makes a /64 network a routed one? What makes a /48 network a routed one?

I fully do not understand this routed vs. linked network stuff. And maybe an explanation outside serverfault.com with 22 or 3 or what ever minor upvotes would be nice.

Something from a RIR / Manufacturer of router / wikipedia / what ever at least semi-official.

In my (good) old world all networks that are explicitly defined by the router are always routed networks.

And all networks ( which are not defined on the router of the network ) but maybe software defined within a private entity could be named "linked" while this vocabulary is for me completely unknown in this context actually.

I just hope that some other hoster(s) who advertise explicitly with "routed" networks could explain what he actually mean with this...

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

I believe most users are familiarized with OVH's junky way to add floating IPs. A bunch of fiddling with post-up/pre-up scripting in interfaces file. Hetzner does that too.
    That would be, what a user refers to, a routed setup.

While using the old, plug and play method with gw, netmask, bcast directly on eth interface is a non-routed setup.

@Andreix said:
    I believe most users are familiarized with OVH's junky way to add floating IPs. A bunch of fiddling with post-up/pre-up scripting in interfaces file. Hetzner does that too.
    That would be, what a user refers to, a routed setup.

While using the old, plug and play method with gw, netmask, bcast directly on eth interface is a non-routed setup.

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

If i check on hetzner:

https://docs.hetzner.com/cloud/floating-ips/getting-started/adding-a-floating-ip/

i can see:

Hetzner's howto add this floating ip

or

https://docs.hetzner.com/cloud/floating-ips/persistent-configuration

i can see for persistent configs:

IPv4:

auto eth0:1
     iface eth0:1 inet static
         address your.Float.ing.IP
         netmask 32

IPv6:

auto eth0:1
     iface eth0:1 inet6 static
         address one IPv6 address of the subnet, e.g. 2a01:4f9:0:2a1::2
         netmask 64

which is for me the " good old way " just like you mentioned it.

And OVH writes on:

https://us.ovhcloud.com/public-cloud/floating-ip/

A Floating IP is a public, static IP address for exposing services that provide high flexibility. This type of IP can be assigned to an instance or a network function such as Load Balancer and then be quickly re-assigned.

Which is for me just a regular, normal IP, with a very short ARP Living time in their router so it can be switched between MAC addresses.

So, what ever "routed" networks are supposed to be, as it seems to me, its not what OVH / Hetzner calls Floating-IPs.....

Hrhr i seems not to be a too much easy topic / question to answer.

I hope a hoster who offers this routed magic stuff, will have time / can actually explain what he/she sells ^^;

Maybe things changed since last time I used OVH. It used to be something like:

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 5.6.77.8
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast 5.6.77.8
    post-up route add 123.4.5.254 dev eth0
    post-up route add default gw 123.4.5.254
    post-down route del default gw 123.4.5.254
    post-down route del 123.4.5.254 dev eth0

• davidedavide Member
    edited July 1

Take it with a ton of salt ... if it might help, my suspect is:

• on-link prefix: a prefix not routable outside the network segment, used only within the servers managed by the customers within the segment;
    • routed prefix: packets from/to the prefix can cross the router.

Those Serverfault answers are confusing because they consider both the ISP's router and the CPE router.

So basically a L2 vs L3 link...

edited July 1

@Andreix said:
    Maybe things changed since last time I used OVH. It used to be something like:

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 5.6.77.8
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast 5.6.77.8
    post-up route add 123.4.5.254 dev eth0
    post-up route add default gw 123.4.5.254
    post-down route del default gw 123.4.5.254
    post-down route del 123.4.5.254 dev eth0

Hi,

this config actually says that those are /32 IPs, which means its actually a single IP with just itself in the "network", while you cant call that network here.

Thats used to avoid broadcasting traffic flowing through your network and eating your bandwidth.

Unfortunately i think it cant serve us as an example for an ipv6 routed network. But i get an idea of what you mean, but still, makes no sense to me why a customer would want that compared to something real.

Also what advantage ( for the customer ) should be there? A config like this is just fuck-up. It has if ever only disadvantages if you are using software that expects "proper" alias normal network config.

@davide said:
    Take it with a ton of salt ... if it might help, my suspect is:

• on-link prefix: a prefix not routable outside the network segment, used only within the servers managed by the customers within the segment;
    • routed prefix: packets from/to the prefix can cross the router.

Those Serverfault answers are confusing because they consider both the ISP's router and the CPE router.

yes, that was also my idea / understanding to sum it up.

But this has actually no advantages for the customer. Actually only disadvantages. At least nothing comes up in my mind.

If you would need it, you could build this behavior yourself, if you have a "real" -- "good old" network. ( Why ever you would want to complicate your network setup ).

Hrhr, i have to admit that i am getting excited, if in the next days some ultra 1337 pr0 will come around the corner and solve this mystery full of interpretation and assumption :D

• davidedavide Member
    edited July 1

@layer7 said::
    But this has actually no advantages for the customer. Actually only disadvantages. At least nothing comes up in my mind.

In AWS, the same availability zone has 200 µs latency toward private addresses, and higher toward the same destinations over their public addresses. Perhaps that's the expectation here, perhaps with the additional expectation that internal traffic is unmetered.

Perhaps

• lukast__lukast__ Member

The explanation by @yoursunny (https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/2815/ipv6-neighbor-discovery-responder-for-kvm-vps):

The server has on-link IP address 192.0.2.2.

• The router knows this IP address is on-link because it is in the 192.0.2.0/24 subnet that is configured on the router interface.
    • To deliver a packet to 192.0.2.2, the router sends an ARP query of 192.0.2.2 to learn the server's MAC address, which should be responded by the server.

The server has routed IP subnet 198.51.100.0/24.

• The router must be configured to know: 198.51.100.0/24 is reachable via 192.0.2.2.
    • To deliver a packet to 198.51.100.2, the router first queries its routing table and finds the above entry, then sends an ARP query to learn the MAC address of 192.0.2.2 which should be responded by the server, and finally delivers the packet to the learned MAC address.

The main difference is what IP address is enclosed in the ARP query:

• If the destination IP address is an on-link IP address, the ARP query contains the destination IP address itself.
    • If the destination IP address is in a routed subnet, the ARP query contains the nexthop IP address, as determined by the routing table

The situation is a bit more complex in IPv6 because each network interface can have multiple IPv6 addresses, but the same concept applies.
    Instead of Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), IPv6 uses Neighbor Discovery Protocol that is part of ICMPv6.