Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI: ZAP HOSTING - Irreparable Raid Failure of Host System (DE)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FYI: ZAP HOSTING - Irreparable Raid Failure of Host System (DE)

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited June 28 in General

Not sure, if anyone else is affected by this, but just received this message:

Irreparable raid failure of the host system
Unfortunately, we have to inform you that the raid system of the host system has failed. All attempts to rebuild and restore the raid have failed. We hope that you have used our free backup storage for backups or made local backups.
As compensation for the inconvenience, we will credit you with 15 EUR ZAP credit.

I already got 27€ in credits for system failures/downtimes lol. Since I was running nothing important there, I'll just have to rebuild the vps some time-ish.

Comments

• Was this one of their own managed service?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 28

@SillyGoose said:
    Was this one of their own managed service?

It was one of their host systems for rootservers ( I have a KVM rootserver there).

Hetrixtools captured the downtime quite well: https://hetrixtools.com/report/uptime/467dfc44aab1faffff71ac981c46b4b6/

• 15 eur seems justified, i couldn't not find anything that's makes backup their liability. And they provided raid that's great on their side.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 28

Happened Here Before as well 4 years ago. It was when two disks of The Same span in a raid10 failed at same time on some bigger node.

Problem is that some customers still think RAID = Backup. So they will have a nice time dealing with all The complaints from customers.

15€ is okay.

Altough you must be very unlucky that this Kind of Thing Happen to have a Irreparable Raid. But yes. It can Happen. Make your Backups.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@SillyGoose said:
    15 eur seems justified, i couldn't not find anything that's makes backup their liability. And they provided raid that's great on their side.

Yup, totally happy with the 15€. Only sucks that you can't use ZAP credit for any lifetime products (e.g. buy lifetime product with it, or upgrade disk/ram), which kind of sucks.

• emghemgh Member

I don’t think they understand what ’local backups’ are😆

• gbzret4dgbzret4d Member

@Ympker said:

Unfortunately, we have to inform you that the raid system of the host system has failed. All attempts to rebuild and restore the raid have failed. We hope that you have used our free backup storage for backups or made local backups.
    As compensation for the inconvenience, we will credit you with 15 EUR ZAP credit.

I already got 27€ in credits for system failures/downtimes lol. Since I was running nothing important there, I'll just have to rebuild the vps some time-ish.

never buy something from ZAP, they are one of the worst companies ive ever dealt with

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@gbzret4d said:

@Ympker said:

never buy something from ZAP, they are one of the worst companies ive ever dealt with

They're quite fine for non crucial/hobby (idle) boxes imho. Of course, that's for everyone to determine for themselves, but I am still happy about the lifetime/one-off purchase of two vps boxes I can use for dev purposes and/or to try things out :D The lifetime mc server also still works when I need it to. I wouldn't run anything crucial on there, though.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 28

@emgh said:
    I don’t think they understand what ’local backups’ are😆

COPY /S /E %USERPROFILE% D:\BACKUP

Thanked by 2emgh Frameworks