Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Outgrown Reseller Hosting, Need dedicated servers to set up own infra. 250$/m
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Outgrown Reseller Hosting, Need dedicated servers to set up own infra. 250$/m

SesameSesame Member

We operate a hosting platform built with a white label reseller as the partner for our DC and infra.
We've outgrown them and are now looking to build out our own infrastructure / hosting platform using dedicated servers or colocation.

We currently host about 3500 websites on our reseller account, with the following resource stats (rounded):

Total Websites: 3500
Website Storage: 4500 GB

MySQL Databases: 8000
MySQL Storage: 300 GB

Total Mailboxes: 6000
Mail Storage: 500 GB

Bandwidth: 2500 GB

I was considering renting 3 * AX42 servers with Hetzner, virtualizing them with proxmox, and using that VPS cluster to distribute load and build the hosting platform atop with whmcs and plesk.

But I'm not sure about the performance requirements for our current resource consumption. And also cost is a factor. Ideally, we'd like to keep it in line with our current cost of around 250$ / month all incl.

I am happy to evaluate offers and I appreciate any feedback. We are in the market for renting either dedicated servers near IX locations, ideally Germany/Europe + a US location, or alternatively a colocation with our own hardware, plus licensing deals for WHMCS + Plesk, + anything else we'd need to set up and run a high-performant hosting platform (CDN, DNS, etc).

Comments

  • fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

    Depending on how many servers you want to go with, we can help out with the following packages:

    https://deals.fiberstate.com/

    Our latest gen line of Ryzen 9 7950X3D or Threadrippers (7960X, 7970X) servers would fit your needs.

  • sassliksasslik Member

    @fiberstate said:
    Depending on how many servers you want to go with, we can help out with the following packages:

    https://deals.fiberstate.com/

    Our latest gen line of Ryzen 9 7950X3D or Threadrippers (7960X, 7970X) servers would fit your needs.

    Any chance you have yabs for Threadrippers?

  • fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

    @sasslik said:

    @fiberstate said:
    Depending on how many servers you want to go with, we can help out with the following packages:

    https://deals.fiberstate.com/

    Our latest gen line of Ryzen 9 7950X3D or Threadrippers (7960X, 7970X) servers would fit your needs.

    Any chance you have yabs for Threadrippers?

    We don't have one handy but passmark is pretty convincing on these:

    https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+Threadripper+7970X&id=5811

    We use DDR5 ECC ram and Samsung 990 PRO drives.

    Thanked by 1sasslik
  • VexeliaVexelia Member

    @fiberstate said:
    Depending on how many servers you want to go with, we can help out with the following packages:

    https://deals.fiberstate.com/

    Our latest gen line of Ryzen 9 7950X3D or Threadrippers (7960X, 7970X) servers would fit your needs.

    Why use Ryzen for website hosting when you can opt for a Xeon? He would find it much easier to scale with a Xeon than a Ryzen.

  • fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

    Ryzen's punch way above their weight class in terms of performance and they support ECC ram.

    The new Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series CPUs have the TR5 socket. Its very similar to the highest performing EPYC's.

    Which Xeon series are you referring to? Take a look at the charts and see who's dominating, it isn't Intel.

    https://cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 22

    Ryzen will give you the fastest page load times. If you virtualize it, you will lose some performance.

    RAID is usually sufficient for shared hosting.

    Having said that, if you plan to get only three servers, you will need to consider active load on your servers. If most or all of the sites are idle, with little to no traffic, you might be able to cram all of them on a single 7950X or even on an E-2288G which is more than 50% slower than 7950X.

    But if a good percentage of them have some traffic, you will need more cores, and hence more servers.

    Ryzens provide faster page load times, but more cores will allow you to serve more visitors simultaneously.

    Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • NameCraneNameCrane Member, Patron Provider

    @Vexelia said:

    Why use Ryzen for website hosting when you can opt for a Xeon? He would find it much easier to scale with a Xeon than a Ryzen.

    Single core performance dominates for most web hosting tasks - PHP benefits a ton from fast cores.

    You can 'scale' more with the higher core count CPUs, but Ryzens are affordable enough that it's better to just spread stuff across more blazing fast boxes.

    We're running Ryzen 7900's across the board and the performance is fantastic.

    Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • VexeliaVexelia Member

    @NameCrane said:

    @Vexelia said:

    Why use Ryzen for website hosting when you can opt for a Xeon? He would find it much easier to scale with a Xeon than a Ryzen.

    Single core performance dominates for most web hosting tasks - PHP benefits a ton from fast cores.

    You can 'scale' more with the higher core count CPUs, but Ryzens are affordable enough that it's better to just spread stuff across more blazing fast boxes.

    We're running Ryzen 7900's across the board and the performance is fantastic.

    Fair point. I often forget that people still code their websites in PHP or using platforms like WordPress in PHP. 🤢

  • MoopahMoopah Member

    @Vexelia said:

    @NameCrane said:

    @Vexelia said:

    Why use Ryzen for website hosting when you can opt for a Xeon? He would find it much easier to scale with a Xeon than a Ryzen.

    Single core performance dominates for most web hosting tasks - PHP benefits a ton from fast cores.

    You can 'scale' more with the higher core count CPUs, but Ryzens are affordable enough that it's better to just spread stuff across more blazing fast boxes.

    We're running Ryzen 7900's across the board and the performance is fantastic.

    Fair point. I often forget that people still code their websites in PHP or using platforms like WordPress in PHP. 🤢

    For better or worse, the majority of the internet still runs on PHP

  • NameCraneNameCrane Member, Patron Provider

    @Vexelia said:

    @NameCrane said:

    @Vexelia said:

    Why use Ryzen for website hosting when you can opt for a Xeon? He would find it much easier to scale with a Xeon than a Ryzen.

    Single core performance dominates for most web hosting tasks - PHP benefits a ton from fast cores.

    You can 'scale' more with the higher core count CPUs, but Ryzens are affordable enough that it's better to just spread stuff across more blazing fast boxes.

    We're running Ryzen 7900's across the board and the performance is fantastic.

    Fair point. I often forget that people still code their websites in PHP or using platforms like WordPress in PHP. 🤢

    It's basically half the web at this point :smile:

  • VexeliaVexelia Member

    @Sesame said:
    We operate a hosting platform built with a white label reseller as the partner for our DC and infra.
    We've outgrown them and are now looking to build out our own infrastructure / hosting platform using dedicated servers or colocation.

    We currently host about 3500 websites on our reseller account, with the following resource stats (rounded):

    Total Websites: 3500
    Website Storage: 4500 GB

    MySQL Databases: 8000
    MySQL Storage: 300 GB

    Total Mailboxes: 6000
    Mail Storage: 500 GB

    Bandwidth: 2500 GB

    I was considering renting 3 * AX42 servers with Hetzner, virtualizing them with proxmox, and using that VPS cluster to distribute load and build the hosting platform atop with whmcs and plesk.

    But I'm not sure about the performance requirements for our current resource consumption. And also cost is a factor. Ideally, we'd like to keep it in line with our current cost of around 250$ / month all incl.

    I am happy to evaluate offers and I appreciate any feedback. We are in the market for renting either dedicated servers near IX locations, ideally Germany/Europe + a US location, or alternatively a colocation with our own hardware, plus licensing deals for WHMCS + Plesk, + anything else we'd need to set up and run a high-performant hosting platform (CDN, DNS, etc).

    Are you looking for three Ryzen servers for $250? It's unlikely you'll find pricing comparable to Hetzner, especially for Ryzens. However, I have to admit, the AX-42's are amazing—I just wish AMD offered a 12-core variant of Ryzen 8000G.

  • VexeliaVexelia Member
    edited June 22

    @NameCrane said:

    @Vexelia said:

    @NameCrane said:

    @Vexelia said:

    Why use Ryzen for website hosting when you can opt for a Xeon? He would find it much easier to scale with a Xeon than a Ryzen.

    Single core performance dominates for most web hosting tasks - PHP benefits a ton from fast cores.

    You can 'scale' more with the higher core count CPUs, but Ryzens are affordable enough that it's better to just spread stuff across more blazing fast boxes.

    We're running Ryzen 7900's across the board and the performance is fantastic.

    Fair point. I often forget that people still code their websites in PHP or using platforms like WordPress in PHP. 🤢

    It's basically half the web at this point :smile:

    Half of the internet is using a platform that has normalized security vulnerabilities and has the performance of a turtle. Great.

  • @Vexelia said:
    Half of the internet is using a platform that has normalized security vulnerabilities and has the performance of a turtle. Great.

    Badly written plugins/themes are the root cause for 99.99999% of people who end up compromised. Same thing with the "performance of a turtle" comment. If you don't install/activate 60 janky ass plugins, wordpress can be plenty fast and secure.

    Thanked by 1homelabber
  • faleddofaleddo Member

    @Petey_Long said:

    @Vexelia said:
    Half of the internet is using a platform that has normalized security vulnerabilities and has the performance of a turtle. Great.

    Badly written plugins/themes are the root cause for 99.99999% of people who end up compromised. Same thing with the "performance of a turtle" comment. If you don't install/activate 60 janky ass plugins, wordpress can be plenty fast and secure.

    True. I use static generator or static caching plugin for wordpress and it works as fast as static html.

  • @faleddo said:

    @Petey_Long said:

    @Vexelia said:
    Half of the internet is using a platform that has normalized security vulnerabilities and has the performance of a turtle. Great.

    Badly written plugins/themes are the root cause for 99.99999% of people who end up compromised. Same thing with the "performance of a turtle" comment. If you don't install/activate 60 janky ass plugins, wordpress can be plenty fast and secure.

    True. I use static generator or static caching plugin for wordpress and it works as fast as static html.

Sign In or Register to comment.