Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why configurable VPS deals not exist? Why can't I select the #vcpu/storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why configurable VPS deals not exist? Why can't I select the #vcpu/storage?

I'm just trying to understand this. We have all these providers with pretty damn decent packages but you cannot configure these deals. Need 4vpcu/4GB ram/320gb SSD? Tuff you need to order a 8vcpu/16GB ram package to get that 320! Oh at much greater costs.

I guess the premade provisioning software doesn't accommodate this and instead limits to "packages" only?

Comments

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

Most plans are made to ensure that all resources get used evenly on the server. There's the risk with configurable plans that everyone for example picks extra CPU cores and then you end up having 50% or storage left. That's lost revenue.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 21

Hardware can't be customized based on what people order after the fact. And customizable "cloud" style plans require a lot of idling hardware to cater to every individual need which costs a lot of money, hence why only the big names can do it while they blow through their VC funds. Anyway if you want that type of service they are out there but they are generally much more expensive than LET hosts.

Easier and cheaper to offer plans based around specific hardware that's suitable for the majority of people.

Thanked by 2host_c Frameworks
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited June 21

They do exists (for example https://crunchbits.com/vps ) but you need to have a lot of safe-guards for people going too much in one way or another. If everyone starts buying disk space (because new epic crypto Chia dropped), but just 1 CPU you will have hard times with balancing the nodes or even make it work... not mentioning profits :D

• jollymonjollymon Member

That is solvable with attachable storage and base storage, just like how all cloud providers offer. I guess that's a level of complexity in devops that most providers can't step up to? I'd also point out that could significantly optimize revenue for providers and utilization. I can do this on demand in KVM virt easily, so the question still is very valid. Is it the premade software that providers is using that just isn't capable?

• hsrhsr Member

To balance resource allocation on the servers the VMs are running on.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

@jollymon said:
    That is solvable with attachable storage and base storage, just like how all cloud providers offer. I guess that's a level of complexity in devops that most providers can't step up to? I'd also point out that could significantly optimize revenue for providers and utilization. I can do this on demand in KVM virt easily, so the question still is very valid. Is it the premade software that providers is using that just isn't capable?

Difficulty is not the issue. Many billing and virtualization system support it out of the box. Storage is only part of the equation. You cannot off-load RAM or CPU to other servers.

I am not sure if there is much revenue to be gained by it. If someone really needs that 50 GB extra storage then they are likely to pay the higher plan which supports it yielding greater revenue than offering only the storage.

It is not that it cannot be done. It is just that it is not worth it for smaller providers as it requires scale to succeed.

Thanked by 2jollymon yoursunny
  • emghemgh Member

@MikeA said:
    Hardware can't be customized based on what people order after the fact. And customizable "cloud" style plans require a lot of idling hardware to cater to every individual need which costs a lot of money, hence why only the big names can do it while they blow through their VC funds. Anyway if you want that type of service they are out there but they are generally much more expensive than LET hosts.

Easier and cheaper to offer plans based around specific hardware that's suitable for the majority of people.

True, but some exceptions. Like Avoro.

Very understandable. I guess I'm viewing it from what I can do with mpio/jbods in my lab, which doesn't translate well to the costs of an extra 4U of storage space in a data center to run a jbod which may or may not sell out. I just have been wondering why there is such a lack of attachable on demand storage, and that may answer it. Even the slabs model buyVM does is awesome and enough in that sense. I guess they are a pretty large operation so they can handle the cost of possibly not selling out slabs immediately?

@labze said:
    Difficulty is not the issue. Many billing and virtualization system support it out of the box. Storage is only part of the equation. You cannot off-load RAM or CPU to other servers.

I am not sure if there is much revenue to be gained by it. If someone really needs that 50 GB extra storage then they are likely to pay the higher plan which supports it yielding greater revenue than offering only the storage.

It is not that it cannot be done. It is just that it is not worth it for smaller providers as it requires scale to succeed.

• AltirixAltirix Member
    edited June 21

@jollymon said:
    I'm just trying to understand this. We have all these providers with pretty damn decent packages but you cannot configure these deals. Need 4vpcu/4GB ram/320gb SSD? Tuff you need to order a 8vcpu/16GB ram package to get that 320! Oh at much greater costs.

I guess the premade provisioning software doesn't accommodate this and instead limits to "packages" only?

you can but youll likely pay a sweet premium for the ability to customise your plan to such a exact specification. do you really want hosts to make you pay per exact byte and clock cycle used? sounds like stuff youd go to the 3 big cloud providers for.

you might find that 320gb vps is much more costly because for every one of those they sell they could be fitting many more smaller vps on the same physical box

theres many factors to consider than just vcore ram capacity and storage capacity. at some point lines have to be drawn. and vcore means very little to compare with, host may have many vcores per physical core.

• stxshstxsh Member
    edited June 21

You could also simply put in a request at a place like this and vendors can come up with custom plans for you.. it's just harder to automate at scale unless you have money to burn, as mentioned earlier.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 21

There is a solution, resources pools where you buy some package and make as many VPSes as you would like and the resources allow. You can basically buy a big plan and slice it up as you need, similar to a dedi.
    We used to offer this but it wasn't popular, I suppose because anyone can run some containers these days.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I also found that https://royalehosting.net/store/vps can configure it yourself the way you want

• They do > @jollymon said:

They DO EXIST and are available with many providers. See the Elastic Pass (Jelastic basesd Pass) service providers.
    I remember CloudJIffy service from @leapswitch which pretty much gives you everything to configure. @crunchbits does it .
    https://www.virtuozzo.com/application-platform-partners/ have a list of providers which do similar work.

Thanked by 2jollymon leapswitch
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 22

@jollymon said:

It just adds so much complexity. Imagine if that one storage node were to go offline or have any problems whatsoever, now you have a ton of VMs that are offline. There's also often a lot of things that can go wrong in terms of performance when doing high performance SSD over the network.

Big providers can afford high availability storage clusters that can do it well, but of course that comes at an increased cost. That increased cost will likely be more than if you were to just subscribe to a higher package at a low end host. Although rare, some low end providers also have shared storage setups where you can customize the storage as well.

We looked into it, and we will probably offer SSD block storage at some time, but for right now it's not very feasible if we want things to be reliable and performant. It's also more costly at the end of the day because now we need 2-3 nodes in a cluster to make sure that everyone's VMs doesn't go offline if a node were to be having problems.

Thanked by 1jollymon

This all makes a lot of sense. It's more of a cost/revenue thing vs a technical issue it reads like. Good to learn more, and y'all are right about keeping prices cheap ... #1 thing I think everyone is here for is cheap.

Thanks for dropping the knowledge

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@jollymon said:

It does exist but most providers want to even out the box.
    WIth that being said. We can do a custom package for you if need.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We offer customizable containers on www.CloudJiffy.com as @FairShare mentioned.

We also offer additional space on any of our standard VM plans in Leapswitch. Just reach out and our team will set it up.

• pradyutpradyut Member

Specifically talking about storage, if you have a vps with aws/gcp/azure/oracle, they also offer limited high speed storage, not unlimited with NVME. They have another level of storage which is adjacent to your VPS in the same data center but it's with SSD or HHD (you can choose) and then they have glacier storage (low speed and low cost) which is unlimited storage and scalable to unlimited PBs.