Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1tb SSD server wanted (not cached)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1tb SSD server wanted (not cached)

dshdsh Member

I'm looking for a 1tb ssd only storage server. No ssd cached servers.
2 core 2gb is enough.

USA west or midwest. Budget 10$/m

Comments

• vinhaisvinhais Member

buyvm

• cu_ollycu_olly Member

Contabo storage VPS will be your best choice.

• emghemgh Member

I think you’ll have to 1,5-2x your budget

Anyway, @oplink

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello , why you don t put cache to ram memory? It's more better that SSD

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@Calin said:

Because RAM is not persistent. If your OS gets stuck/rebooted or main node gets rebooted, you data is gone.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Calin said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Calin said:

Because RAM is not persistent. If your OS gets stuck/rebooted or main node gets rebooted, you data is gone.

I'm not an expert on this issue of file system caching, but aren't there many frequently used filesystems which cache within the filesystem code while writing to SSDs or other disk types? I mean that the file system's write command returns prior to the write to the SSD being fully completed. Depending on what file system is in use and on how that file system is configured, it might be really rare these days to see file systems set not to return until the write actually is fully completed.

I am guessing that all this caching within the filesystem came about because of efforts to increase perceived performance at the expense of reliability during rare power failures or other incidents. I am guessing that, in many cases, there is still going to be power failure data loss from incomplete writes, even writes to an SSD.

Is anybody aware of a current Linux filesystem which can be set for writes not to return until the actual write to non-volatile memory is fully completed? If yes, what is the performance penalty of the setting? Thanks!

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Why not 7$?

• satoriksatorik Member
    edited June 18

@Not_Oles I'm not sure if this is what you said, but you could test the "sync" and "async" mount options yourself to see the performance. By default, partitions are mounted as "async".
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/146620/difference-between-sync-and-async-mount-options

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@Not_Oles said:

@Calin said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Calin said:

I'm not an expert on this issue of file system caching, but aren't there many frequently used filesystems which cache within the filesystem code while writing to SSDs or other disk types? I mean that the file system's write command returns prior to the write to the SSD being fully completed. Depending on what file system is in use and on how that file system is configured, it might be really rare these days to see file systems set not to return until the write actually is fully completed.

I am guessing that all this caching within the filesystem came about because of efforts to increase perceived performance at the expense of reliability during rare power failures or other incidents. I am guessing that, in many cases, there is still going to be power failure data loss from incomplete writes, even writes to an SSD.

Is anybody aware of a current Linux filesystem which can be set for writes not to return until the actual write to non-volatile memory is fully completed? If yes, what is the performance penalty of the setting? Thanks!

Let's take them one by one:

You have a large capacity HDD pool and you want to optimize its write/read speed:
    Reading:

• it also works with single disk because if the single SSD crashes you can get the basic information from the main pool anyway, even if at low speeds as if you had no cache left
    • it also works in the RAM memory according to the same rules as above

Writing:

• if you write for the first time on a single SSD and it crashes, the data in the main pool will not be accurate (corrupt/incomplete)
    • if you write for the first time on a RAID1 SSD pool and a SSD crashes, the data in the main pool will not be affected because the data will be written from the remaining SSD
    • if you write in memory and the VM resets before the writing is finished, the data in the main pool will not be accurate (corrupt/incomplete)

Therefore, neither as hosts nor as clients, we want anyone to have a write cache other than RAID1, and the read cache is welcome, whatever it is.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • danblazedanblaze Member

@crunchbits I'm sure there's something purist here, basically a bare metal passthrough exclusive 1TB NVME.

https://crunchbits.com/vds/nvme

The only problem is that your budget needs to be doubled.

Thanked by 2crunchbits Not_Oles
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@danblaze said:
    @crunchbits I'm sure there's something purist here, basically a bare metal passthrough exclusive 1TB NVME.

The only problem is that your budget needs to be doubled.

His speeds will be doubled with that budget, though.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@dsh said:
    I'm looking for a 1tb ssd only storage server. No ssd cached servers.
    2 core 2gb is enough.

USA west or midwest. Budget 10$/m

Did you find a server?
    I can help you out. Give me a PM and will get you squared away!

@danblaze said: I'm sure there's something purist here, basically a bare metal passthrough exclusive 1TB NVME.

Thanks! I don't think I knew or maybe I didn't remember that crunchbits offered this!

@satorik said:
    @Not_Oles I'm not sure if this is what you said, but you could test the "sync" and "async" mount options yourself to see the performance. By default, partitions are mounted as "async".
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/146620/difference-between-sync-and-async-mount-options

Thanks for your very helpful comment! I was wondering about the system calls for writing, which probably are lower than the mounting context. But I am guessing you are very correct to mention and even to emphasize mounting. Thanks again! :)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Intel® Atom™ C2750 (8-Core, 2.4GHz)
    RAM: 16 GB DDR3
    Disk: 1 x 1 TB SSD
    Bandwidth: 100 Mbps
    1 IPv4
    NO-IPMI, you are limited to the OS, which are available on order form
    Price: $20/mo OR $200/year
    Order link: https://portal.drserver.net/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=222

If you double your budget, I can offer this dedicated server.

• vovlervovler Member

OP probably meant not wanting SSD cached HDD servers.
    Cause filesystem cache is automatic, and the SSD itself has cache

• dshdsh Member

Thank you guys. Somehow it turned into filesystem caching. Little background. I'm having a problem with so called ssd cached storage vps. It's worse than dedicated HDD in my case.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited June 19

@dsh said:
    Thank you guys. Somehow it turned into filesystem caching. Little background. I'm having a problem with so called ssd cached storage vps. It's worse than dedicated HDD in my case.

That's HDD storage with SSD cache. However, it's not easy to find a VPS with 1TB SSD with 2 cores. That's an unproportionate amount of SSD storage for 2 cores, better go with a cheapo dedi like Radi suggested up above

OR

With a dedi with an HDD all to yourself

https://oneprovider.com/configure/dediconf/2833 for $8 a month. although I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy to use an Atom CPU. Also its in France :|

• vovlervovler Member

Also you can refer to this thread, seems to have one offer that may interest you
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/192630/looking-for-a-vps-with-1tb-of-storage