Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning to run my own personal mail server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Planning to run my own personal mail server

I am thinking on running my own mail server on a spare netcup VPS 200 G10s iv (or on contabo). I have tested https://mailinabox.email/ (It's so so (the UI is alright))once and i haven't used https://mailcow.email/ before and the UI looks amazing. i heard about https://github.com/docker-mailserver/docker-mailserver before and haven't used it.
The Server Specs iirc are
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS x86_64
2vcore CPU
2GB Ram and swap
40GB SSD Space
LOC: Nuremberg, Germany
Paying $21.01 every 6 months (planning to cancel this since i don't even know what i should use this for other then a Wireguard and Outline server)

i also have a contabo vps (CLOUD VPS 2) server and im planning to run a nextcloud server on it but i could use it as my main mail server but eh
Specs are:
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS x86_64
6Vcore cpu
16GB ram + 17.20GB swap (iv installed KSAM workspace on it and planning to remove it soon)
600GB Space
LOC: Newark, New Jersey
Paying $16.60/mth

anyways, i acknowledged that @jar runs https://mxroute.com/ and the "lifetime promo" deal is $129.00 USD and i could pay and use that for my domain. The only reason i want to set up my own email is just to see what it's like operating your own email/mail server and im mostly going to use it for receiving mail like signing up for like games and other general stuff (mails from amazon/ebay/Micro Center. Already using it on my personal email). Im mostly setting this up since i have a proxmox server at home and i want to get alerts sent to my personal email if im hitting on xyz (high storage or memory use) that is pmuch it and yeah. (i rarely send out emails unless im replying to support (game comp or something) im also going to use it on domain.network (personal domain) already have domain.xyz (main personal domain) and useing cloudflare email routing to forward emails to my personal emails.
Also, has anyone used mailinabox or mailcow or docker mail server before?

Thanks,
FKB (Fubukibox)

Thanked by 1emg88
What are you guys useing nowdays?
  1. Mailinabox67 votes
    1. Mailcow
      29.85%
    2. docker mail server
      10.45%
    3. MXroute
      59.70%

Comments

• GulfGulf Member

cPanel

• edited June 4

You'll want to at least use a smarthost for your outgoing mail otherwise there'll be a lot of headaches and being in Contabo's IP space likely also won't improve the situation.

• bootboot Member

Eudora

Thanked by 1JosephF
  • FubukiboxFubukibox Member

@totally_not_banned said:
    You'll want to at least use a smarthost for your outgoing mail otherwise there'll be a lot of headaches and being in Contabo's IP space likely also won't improve the situation.

Hm, I did checked my contabo vps IP address on mxtoolbox and it reports 0/75 blacklisted so I should be fine since I'm sending it to my personal protonmail email. Although I could use smarthost as a reverse nginx proxy server or run it directly on the vps. (If I'm going with smarthost)

@Gulf said:
    cPanel

a.... I would rather manage my vps via the terminal.

@boot said:
    Eudora

Checked Google and the domain. The server runs on Mac OS X/8/9 and the client is for Mac and windows. My server runs on Ubuntu.. so that won't work..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 4

@Fubukibox said: the "lifetime promo" deal is $129.00 USD and i could pay and use that for my domain

I have that and do not use, because it doesn't provide outgoing delivery logs, so the key benefit of self-hosting E-Mail, being able to easily diagnose whether or not the remote server has received your message (and/or what exactly she it said), is lost. Go on with the self-hosting route, if you're not spam-listed and have a proper matching rDNS setup and SPF records, you should be fine. Optionally get into DKIM and DMARC as well, but I did not bother.

Thanked by 1Fubukibox

@rm_ said:

@Fubukibox said: the "lifetime promo" deal is $129.00 USD and i could pay and use that for my domain

I have that and do not use, because it doesn't provide outgoing delivery logs, so the key benefit of self-hosting E-Mail, being able to easily diagnose whether or not the remote server has received your message (and/or what exactly she it said), is lost. Go on with the self-hosting route, if you're not spam-listed and have a proper matching rDNS setup and SPF records, you should be fine. Optionally get into DKIM and DMARC as well, but I did not bother.

I see, I'll take a note of that. Thanks

• GulfGulf Member

@Fubukibox said:

Can you elaborate? What is wrong with cPanel?

• babywhalebabywhale Member

i use mailinabox personally and i really like it, i have herd of the others and they look just as good

Thanked by 1Fubukibox
  • GulfGulf Member

@rm_ said:
    easily diagnose whether or not the remote server has received your message (and/or what exactly she it said), is lost.

I only achieved it by writing a low-level mail server.
    Recently made lots of changes to achieve compliance with gmail rules.

Only this way was able to restore the reputation that I lost since March (when they introduced new Terms for senders).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 4

@Gulf said: I only achieved it by writing a low-level mail server.

Not sure what you mean by that, the standard Postfix shows all SMTP exchange logs by default in its log file.

• caracalcaracal Member

I used to use Mail in a box. Except for the high ram requirements, they’re great and have a good backup and cold spare setup.

Recently and (Surprisingly to me) I moved to Cloudron.io for my email, they’re quite robust and has pretty good backups.

Thanked by 1Fubukibox

@Gulf said:

@Fubukibox said:

Can you elaborate? What is wrong with cPanel?

It's too complicated for me to use but the UI is fine. It's just i prefer doing things in the terminal. (i like dark things) i did use cPanel before on a freehost website and the experience was neutral.

• GulfGulf Member

@Fubukibox said:
    It's too complicated for me to use but the UI is fine. It's just i prefer doing things in the terminal. (i like dark things) i did use cPanel before on a freehost website and the experience was neutral.

Incredibly useful for mail. Some VPS providers sell it for 10$ per month if you buy their VPS (10$+9$).

Thanked by 1Fubukibox
  • GulfGulf Member

@rm_ said:
    Not sure what you mean by that, the standard Postfix shows all SMTP exchange logs by default in its log file.

Yes, in general, can also use Postfix for that.

Postfix will return logs, but you cannot debug every step of delivery, every socket event.

I wrote service like Sendgrid / Mailgun, for internal usage.
    I need to control every step of email delivery. This way, I can also deliver to buggy servers, where Postfix cannot.

@Gulf said:

@Fubukibox said:

Incredibly useful for mail. Some VPS providers sell it for 10$ per month if you buy their VPS (10$+9$).

noted. i would still perfer selfhosting a personal email but ill take a look at useing cPanel in the near future but for now iv like to go on the selfhosted route. Thank you.

• GulfGulf Member

@Fubukibox said:
    noted. i would still perfer selfhosting a personal email but ill take a look at useing cPanel in the near future but for now iv like to go on the selfhosted route. Thank you.

cPanel is a self hosting :D nothing else.

You can install yourself all that stuff, roundcube, etc.

Also, you can go really low level, many libs like that
    https://github.com/flashmob/go-guerrilla

• sanvitsanvit Member

You might want to up your system resource if you want to use Mailcow tho (or disable clamav)

Even if you aren't in any blacklists, some mail servers will still put you in their spambox. I didn't want to go through that headache, so I just use some kind of SMTP relay nowadays.

Thanked by 1Fubukibox
  • I recommend Proxmox Mail Gateway :)

• Mailcow, or Postfix with mailbaby

Thanked by 1Fubukibox
  • CentOS 7

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Try to make a small POC with your spare domain, try sending mail with and start fixing issue, you will learn things automatically what people have been trying to tell you here.

Thanked by 2Fubukibox emgh
  • Just go first with Mailcow, test it out and let us know your experience. Would be nice to hear that issue you will face.

Alternatively you can try this one as well https://github.com/stalwartlabs/mail-server

Thanked by 1Fubukibox
  • JerryHouJerryHou Member

I'd say just get MXRoute

• saobilinsaobilin Member

if you dont need to reply the email,you can try the Postal.

• tommyluotommyluo Member

That depends on what kind of emails your send,if only normal contact,it is easy to handle with your own vps.

• hyperhostsolutionshyperhostsolutions Member, Patron Provider

Contabo the 1st bad start, i doubt any of there IPS will be clean with all the abusers they get, 100% need a relay if your going to run your own, have you taken a look at mailbaby or mailchannels? @interservermike

• jperkinsjperkins Member
    edited June 5

yep.

Got old chasing down why mail wasnt delivered from my personal mail server. Sometimes didnt even get a bounce. Vps ip is clean ,have had it nearly 2 years, but still had problems. Notes include failed delivery to aramark, spectrum, pobox.com, navient.com riverlink and office 365. At one time was on a blacklist that basically was considered extortion. Dont recall the name .Eventually it rolled off. Just not worth chasing down all the logfiles to find out why it failed, after you realize that it did fail. Since this is a hobby, I enjoy running down these type of things. But not with email

Solved the issue for a dollar and a penny a month and this:
    relayhost = relay.mailbaby.net:25

and yes I have setup the dmark ,spf,dkim etc. was 10/10 @ www.mail-tester.com

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited June 5

My experience is almost identical to @jperkins', although it dates years back. I can run many things from my VPSes, but relying on a self host mail server... no thanks. It's never ending battle.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited June 5

@Mumbly said: I can run many things from my VPSes, but relying on a self host mail server... no thanks. It's never ending battle.

I never had any major issues when I was self hosting my own mail, last year I stopped self hosting reliable mail hosting is very affordable anyway so it made more sense letting someone else handle it.

@jonesolutions said:
    I recommend Proxmox Mail Gateway :)

hmm, noted.

@journeykemuning said:
    Mailcow, or Postfix with mailbaby

already going with mailcow. Thanks tho

@TheGreatOakley said:
    Just go first with Mailcow, test it out and let us know your experience. Would be nice to hear that issue you will face.

Alternatively you can try this one as well https://github.com/stalwartlabs/mail-server

Yeah, thanks. The issue rn is just docker firewalls rules and i mostly use ufw for managing my firewalls. Confused on DOCKER-USER firewall rules

@tommyluo said:
    That depends on what kind of emails your send,if only normal contact,it is easy to handle with your own vps.

mostly inbound (receiving email) mail and for outbound it's mostly alerts from my proxmox server im running at home sending to my personal protonmail account.

@hyperhostsolutions said:
    Contabo the 1st bad start, i doubt any of there IPS will be clean with all the abusers they get, 100% need a relay if your going to run your own, have you taken a look at mailbaby or mailchannels? @interservermike

ic. iv checked mailbaby & mailchannels and both looks nice. Mailbaby $1/mth or 20 cents// 1k mails is cheap. idk if i could use mailbaby with mailcow tho.

@sanvit said:
    You might want to up your system resource if you want to use Mailcow tho (or disable clamav)

Even if you aren't in any blacklists, some mail servers will still put you in their spambox. I didn't want to go through that headache, so I just use some kind of SMTP relay nowadays.

i see. Ill take a note of that.

@jperkins said:
    yep.

Got old chasing down why mail wasnt delivered from my personal mail server. Sometimes didnt even get a bounce. Vps ip is clean ,have had it nearly 2 years, but still had problems. Notes include failed delivery to aramark, spectrum, pobox.com, navient.com riverlink and office 365. At one time was on a blacklist that basically was considered extortion. Dont recall the name .Eventually it rolled off. Just not worth chasing down all the logfiles to find out why it failed, after you realize that it did fail. Since this is a hobby, I enjoy running down these type of things. But not with email

Solved the issue for a dollar and a penny a month and this:
    relayhost = relay.mailbaby.net:25

and yes I have setup the dmark ,spf,dkim etc. was 10/10 @ www.mail-tester.com

@Mumbly said:
    My experience is almost identical to @jperkins', although it dates years back. I can run many things from my VPSes, but relying on a self host mail server... no thanks. It's never ending battle.

I see. Im mostly going to run it for a year or two.