Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shipping servers ideeas
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shipping servers ideeas

CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello community, I would like to ask if you have the idea to transport about 10x 2U servers over a distance of 300+ kilometers without getting damaged?

We have some packaging ideas, but any extra ideas are welcome, if they can somehow be shown in pictures/videos, that's all the better.

Thanks for help!

Comments

• edited May 29

Getting in touch with a trucking company would probably be your best option. If you are somewhat flexible in regards to timing some should actually have viable rates. A lot seem to only deliver to business though. Beyond that i don't see what you could do outside a regular parcel service and a ton of padding.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@totally_not_banned said: Getting in touch with a trucking company would probably be your best option. If you are somewhat flexible in regards to timing some should actually have economic rates. A lot seem to only deliver to business though. Beyond that i don't see what you could do outside a regular parcel service and a ton of padding.

>

Hello, thanks for feedback these servers have to be moved to colocation, so a normal delivery service is not possible, we will rent a van and there will be a team that will help me move those servers, but we are still looking for the idea of ​​packing them

Regards

• edited May 29

@Calin said:

@totally_not_banned said: Getting in touch with a trucking company would probably be your best option. If you are somewhat flexible in regards to timing some should actually have economic rates. A lot seem to only deliver to business though. Beyond that i don't see what you could do outside a regular parcel service and a ton of padding.

>

Hello, thanks for feedback these servers have to be moved to colocation, so a normal delivery service is not possible, we will rent a van and there will be a team that will help me move those servers, but we are still looking for the idea of ​​packing them

Regards

Hmm, i see. Well, i'd probably go for cardboard boxes and polystyrene for padding maybe combined with those rough padding paper ravels outside the polystyrene for even more shock absorbance if the road is expected to be seriously bumpy or something like this (with an actual delivery company/private truck you probably don't have to account for the boxes being thrown and stuff like that). Just watch out for static discharge (it's pretty bad with polystyrene) and wrap your servers in some anti-static foil.

• djuniordjunior Member, Host Rep

You are from Romania, right? In the area you got some WG services, most of the time they can do a shared shipment for quite a good price. They are experienced in shipping these kinds of things.

If you really want to do it yourself, like @totally_not_banned said, use some anti-static foil and some polystyrene foam. Or check out something like: https://www.servershippingbox.com/shop/new-server-shipping-boxes/2u-server-shipping-box/. :smile:

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Calin said:
    Hello community, I would like to ask if you have the idea to transport about 10x 2U servers over a distance of 300+ kilometers without getting damaged?

We have some packaging ideas, but any extra ideas are welcome, if they can somehow be shown in pictures/videos, that's all the better.

Thanks for help!

Maybe @Francisco can give you a few pointers.

Thanked by 2ehab Calin
  • ehabehab Member

what about insurance ?

does it cover damage ?

@ehab said: what about insurance ?

>

Unfortunately, no one is willing to do such a thing, all servers have a total value of almost 25k euros

Regards

• hostarishostaris Member

At my old place of work, they packed the servers in bags, then put the bags in a box and completely insulated them with insulation foam. A trucking company would be best however

• ehabehab Member

in that case

just rent a van and drive them.

Orr

or ask @host_c one of his delivery boys girls to transport it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Hire 10 camels to carry your servers.
    They are more stable than a truck.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 29

We migrated 7 Racks once 250 Kilometers. Routers, Switches, everything. Multiple Vans/Trucks/Teams. All at once and brought Back up at new Location same day. We all Met with all Servers at The new Location.

Those racks where From multiple Locations in Netherlands and Migrated into one Location 250 Kilometers away from each.

Just Wrap them. Save them Inside the Truck (s)/van with lashing straps and all. Easy.

Drive slow Over bumps.

Don't overthink too much. Its only 10 Servers after all, no big deal

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@HostSlick said:
    We migrated 7 Racks once 250 Kilometers. Routers, Switches, everything. Multiple Vans/Trucks/Teams. All at once and brought Back up at new Location same day. We all Met with all Servers at The new Location.

Those racks where From multiple Locations in Netherlands and Migrated into one Location 250 Kilometers away from each.

Just Wrap them. Save them Inside the Truck (s)/van with lashing straps and all. Easy.

Drive slow Over bumps.

Don't overthink too much. Its only 10 Servers after all, no big deal

Exactly this. Short distance (ie <=500km) i would suggest doing yourself, as described above.

Anything longer, just use the original packaging if possible. There are also some "self expanding" foam packs for shipping if you dont have the original inserts anymore.

• Make sure to check if the back door is closed

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

Bubble wrap. Never fails.

• ehabehab Member

@johndeo983 said:
    Make sure to check if the back door is closed

hahahah

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

I will drive the truck carefully.

• Use proper thermocol cut outs and put good bubble wrap. Used that to ship thousands of mile across and it turned out fine, it also depends on the transit company.

• @FlorinMarian said:
    I will drive the truck carefully.

Splendid. Now all you guys need is a tank or a dozer. Driving carefully will not really be needed then though.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@totally_not_banned said: Splendid. Now all you guys need is a tank or a dozer. Driving carefully will not really be needed then though.

>

Killdozer

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Calin said:

@totally_not_banned said: Splendid. Now all you guys need is a tank or a dozer. Driving carefully will not really be needed then though.

>

Killdozer

Just get a 1996 Dodge Caravan and put the servers inside. Maybe a little bit of rigid foam or similar on the ground first, servers on top. A few cheap ratchet straps (or some rope) to stop them from sliding around and you're all set. You don't have to wrap them with $$$ of packing materials to drive a short distance in a commuter vehicle with a working suspension. If any of the servers break on the comfy drive, you're welcome. Culling the herd of the weak ones and now only truly battle-tested chassis serve iHostArt customers.

• davidedavide Member
    edited May 29

I once had 3 hard disks shipped from England to me in Italy, it was a cardboard box holding each drive singularly wrapped in bubble wrap. They were guaranteed to work, but they all arrived broken.

It's the hard disks that don't enjoy traveling around the country. Especially this country.

• @davide said:
    I once had 3 hard disks shipped from England to me in Italy, it was a cardboard box holding each drive singularly wrapped in bubble wrap. They were guaranteed to work, but they all arrived broken.

It's the hard disks that don't enjoy traveling around the country. Especially this country.

I ordered 1x HDD from Amazon, two times, they were sent without any protection at all lol.
    The disks literally flying around in the box Xd.

Both did survive however x)

• jordijordi Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

I'm curious, is there anyone who has taken servers on a plane as if it were an extra suitcase or is it not accepted? We need to take some servers to the new location and we are looking at some options.

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited June 1

@crunchbits said:

@Calin said:

>

Killdozer

Just get a 1996 Dodge Caravan and put the servers inside. Maybe a little bit of rigid foam or similar on the ground first, servers on top. A few cheap ratchet straps (or some rope) to stop them from sliding around and you're all set. You don't have to wrap them with $$$ of packing materials to drive a short distance in a commuter vehicle with a working suspension. If any of the servers break on the comfy drive, you're welcome. Culling the herd of the weak ones and now only truly battle-tested chassis serve iHostArt customers.

Can confirm, I transported a Dell R710 2U server by commuter train with no foam or bubblewrap.
    If it breaks during transport then is just natural selection killing off the weak Dell servers.