Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS hourly rate?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS hourly rate?

superusersuperuser Member
edited May 28 in Help

Hi all. I know there are options like: aeza, fotbo, gcore.

Azure, AWS, GCP and Oracle Cloud are not suitable.

who knows what other VPS providers there are with the option of hourly rate?

Comments

• Hetzner, Aeza, Vultr and DigitalOcean have hourly billing i think.

Thanked by 2superuser homelabber
  • AndruAndru Member

intovps

Thanked by 1superuser
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited May 28

‏I think VPS providers should charge per minute ‏because you almost never fully use the last hour which amounts to a significant cumulative loss four people who use for short periods and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

Thanked by 2superuser angstrom
  • hsrhsr Member

Katapult & UpCloud also charge by the hour.

Thanked by 1superuser
  • andaanda Member

tensordock

Thanked by 1superuser
  • emghemgh Member

Ramnode

Thanked by 1superuser
  • tmntwitwtmntwitw Member

Linode, Alibaba Cloud

Thanked by 1superuser
  • tmntwitwtmntwitw Member
    edited May 28

Oneprovider, Lunanode, HostVDS

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

We think VPS providers should charge per second ‏because you almost never fully use the last minute which amounts to a significant cumulative loss for people who use for short periods and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

We think VPS providers should charge per 1/60 of a second because you almost never fully use the last second which amounts to a significant cumulative loss for people who use for short periods and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

edited May 28

@yoursunny said:
    charge per second

True, with all the computing power they have per second calculations/billing shouldn't be a problem I guess...

People often run multiple instances simultaneously for testing and whenever they wipe them they lose 20 or 30 cents at once for nothing.

What makes this even more blatant is that hourly VPS are relatively more expensive than their monthly counterparts in the first place.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@angstrom said:
    We think VPS providers should charge per 1/60 of a second because you almost never fully use the last second which amounts to a significant cumulative loss for people who use for short periods and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

I agree, I was charged 0.06 cents for using VPS for 2 hours and 17 minutes and lost millions

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • marianmarian Member

scaleway

• siemenssiemens Member
    edited May 28

OVH charges by the hour for their "public cloud"

Also https://www.virtua.cloud

• siemenssiemens Member

@farsighter said: What makes this even more blatant is that hourly VPS are relatively more expensive than their monthly counterparts in the first place.

That's how buying in bulk works. There are discounts for 12 months and longer, it makes sense that 1 hour is more expensive than a 1 month price.

edited May 28

@siemens said:
    it makes sense that 1 hour is more expensive than a 1 month price.

They should be satisfied with the already higher prices without biting off extra money also for unused time. Charging per minute will stop this double celebration and create more clarity for the customer.

Charging per hour statistically means people lose 30 minutes for each of their VPS sessions.

• Jack_SBEJack_SBE Member, Patron Provider

Hi,

We offer vps at hourly rates: https://scaleblade.com/products/vps

• siemenssiemens Member

@farsighter said: statistically

What statistic is that?

• @siemens said:

@farsighter said: statistically

What statistic is that?

Some finish early in their last hour (or the single hour), some finish late, so the average is the middle. ‏When you're doing development and often run into problems along the way it's hard to predict how much time you'll need in advance.

• ZreindZreind Member

We think VPS providers shouldn't charge because you just idle and not use. This results cumulative loss for people who use for short periods and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • dhmodhmo Member
    edited May 30

@angstrom said:

There are methods, that pre-paid for 1 month.
    and then if cancel before next billing date, refund the amount of not used.

it is great idea i think (few providers do that!!)

so like this

MonthlyPrice = 5
    MonthInSec = 30 * 24 * 60 * 60

AmountOfUsed = ServiceActiveTimeInSec * (MonthlyPrice / MonthInSec)

Refund = MonthlyPrice - AmountOfUsed

(if im wrong sorry, i am really bad at math)

• siemenssiemens Member

We think VPS providers should charge based on % of CPU, memory and disk used per millisecond because I have 0 users which amounts to no usage and a significant cumulative loss for people like me who have no users and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • dhmodhmo Member
    edited May 30

@siemens said:
    We think VPS providers should charge based on % of CPU, memory and disk used per millisecond because I have 0 users which amounts to no usage and a significant cumulative loss for people like me who have no users and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

A billing system based on % CPU (and MEM, Disk e.g.) usage is not possible because VPS providers need to reserve resources based on your contracted plan and guarantee a certain stability.

Also, if provider do not guarantee the reservation of resources, it is synonymous with not guaranteeing the stable operation of the VPS. (and to get profit, it will overloaded!! OH NO!)
    For these reasons, there is no benefit to the VPS provider and no benefit to the customer.

For Example, VPS Provider have 100 GB totally and give you 50 GB of DISK.
    but you only use 5 GB, but provider have to keep 50 GB for you.
    even you are using only 5 GB of 50 GB.
    VPS provider is wasting money because they allowcate you 50 GB but only you pay 5 GB.
    And If VPS provider oversell for earn profit, then you will be unable to sort datas.

(Also they will need logic to check usage always....)

For other way, There are fully-customizable VPS Services, maybe you can use it.
    If you need more 5 GB Disk, you can upgrade only Disk.
    For example, MC-HOST24.DE is provide ROOT SERVER with full customizable.
    You can customzie amount of core, ram, disk, and IP.
    If you need more resource, then just upgrade it.

I use them before btw ( and good performance so )

I hope this helps

• siemenssiemens Member
    edited June 4

@farsighter said:
    ‏I think VPS providers should charge per minute ‏because you almost never fully use the last hour which amounts to a significant cumulative loss four people who use for short periods and actually embodies a higher price than declared.

If you were not joking about that, railway.app offers minute by minute billing. Expect to pay $30 for 1 vCPU core and 1GB of memory + $25 for 100GB of storage + $100 for 1TiB of bandwidth. That's about $5 daily so the moment you go over 1440 minutes for a month, you might as well pay for a whole month on a normal LET provider and you might get 4x the CPU, 8x the memory, no bandwidth limit and even DDoS protection.

• immerimmer Member

Hetzner cloud is great choice, reasonably priced, easy to use panel and steady performance especially on their arm vps.

• rackdog bills by the hour, decent landscape to.
    cheapest is $0.005/hr or $3/mo.