Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help with 4x SAS Disks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some help with 4x SAS Disks

Hi,

I've got a dedicated server with 4x 146GB SAS disks, but it's only showing 1x 514GB @ rootfs disk

What i want is, I want to have those 4 SAS disks in RAID10 (Software) but i have no idea how i could do that if the 4 disks are merged into 1 disk

Can someone help me?

Comments

• Does the server have a RAID card? Looks like the drives are in HW RAID0.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

It is raid 0

I am sure 100%

• @dhamaniasad said:
    Does the server have a RAID card? Looks like the drives are in HW RAID0.

Nope, but i'm starting to think that the disks are in an LVM partition..

• joodle said: Nope, but i'm starting to think that the disks are in an LVM partition..

Try vgdisplay.

• @dhamaniasad said:
    Try vgdisplay.

vgdisplay
      --- Volume group ---
      VG Name               us1
      System ID
      Format                lvm2
      Metadata Areas        1
      Metadata Sequence No  3
      VG Access             read/write
      VG Status             resizable
      MAX LV                0
      Cur LV                2
      Open LV               2
      Max PV                0
      Cur PV                1
      Act PV                1
      VG Size               543.65 GiB
      PE Size               4.00 MiB
      Total PE              139174
      Alloc PE / Size       139174 / 543.65 GiB
      Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
      VG UUID               inpjKI-YgP7-n3hc-C7dA-eztp-K8xC-Hyd4pz

• --- Volume group ---
    VG Name us1
    System ID
    Format lvm2
    Metadata Areas 1
    Metadata Sequence No 3
    VG Access read/write
    VG Status resizable
    MAX LV 0
    Cur LV 2
    Open LV 2
    Max PV 0
    Cur PV 1
    Act PV 1
    VG Size 543.65 GiB
    PE Size 4.00 MiB
    Total PE 139174
    Alloc PE / Size 139174 / 543.65 GiB
    Free PE / Size 0 / 0
    VG UUID inpjKI-YgP7-n3hc-C7dA-eztp-K8xC-Hyd4pz

Yes, its an LVM partition. You will have to reinstall the OS if you want to setup SW RAID10.

• dhamaniasad said: Yes, its an LVM partition. You will have to reinstall the OS if you want to setup SW RAID10.

Will do that, seems like i gotta wait for KVM first -.- (Dacentec)

• joodle said: Will do that, seems like i gotta wait for KVM first -.- (Dacentec)

Dacentec is generally very fast in granting KVM access. Never made me wait for more than an hour at most.

• It's the weekend now, so don't expect fast KVM setup.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited January 2014

Just found out that it does have an LSI, but i can't seem to get into the configuration screen upon boot.. It tells me i need to press F8 but it just keeps on booting debian whenever i press that button lol

Edit: It was a problem on their end, got fixed now :)

And yes, the disks were in RAID0...

• Hmm... It's the HP raid controller thingy, I forgot which button to press. By the way I left a 4xSAS server with RAID0 when cancelling on December 20th. Coincidence?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

iirc Dacentec has a provision module in the control panel which allows you to provision CentOS 6.4 with SW RAID10 ready to go. Could try that ?

• @SpeedBus said:
    iirc Dacentec has a provision module in the control panel which allows you to provision CentOS 6.4 with SW RAID10 ready to go. Could try that ?

The RAID controller (on-board/fakeraid if I'm not mistaken) should be modified first. If it is setup in RAID0 then even their provisioning module can only detect 1 disk - no software RAID possible and it will return missing disk or something like that.

DalComp said: The RAID controller (on-board/fakeraid if I'm not mistaken) should be modified first. If it is setup in RAID0 then even their provisioning module can only detect 1 disk - no software RAID possible and it will return missing disk or something like that.

ahh yep, missed that part :P

• DalComp said: By the way I left a 4xSAS server with RAID0 when cancelling on December 20th. Coincidence?

Don't know, got the server with 4 SAS disks today (Had one with SSD first, but cancelled and ordered the SAS one). HP LSI was configured @ RAID0 though

I disabled RAID at the HP LSI right now

• @SpeedBus said:

I never knew that haha. Found it.

joodle said: I never knew that haha. Found it.

It's pretty neat, a few OS's had an issue when I used it at the start (early last year) but they seem to have resolved off those issues and it's pretty awesome now, loads of CentOS templates and disk layouts available for VPS provider setups (OpenVZ/KVM etc)

• nvtiennvtien Member
    edited January 2014

you need ask dacentec replace your raid card, because current one doesn't support raid10. very simply, just ask and they replace for you within one hour

Then, your server will be raid10 hardware by default, just select centos 6 latest at provision

• Raid 5 will give you better performance than raid 10 in this case