Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nowhere to hide
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

Buried under the news from Google I/O this week is one of Google Cloud's biggest blunders ever: Google's Amazon Web Services competitor accidentally deleted a giant customer account

Huh?? While I am an English native person, and know almost nothing of any other, that still doesn't make sense to me...

Thanked by 1Weirdjey
  • BruhGamer12BruhGamer12 Member
    edited May 18

@kevinds said:

Buried under the news from Google I/O this week is one of Google Cloud's biggest blunders ever: Google's Amazon Web Services competitor accidentally deleted a giant customer account

Huh?? While I am an English native person, and know almost nothing of any other, that still doesn't make sense to me...

Google's cloud product, which is made to compete with AWS. deleted a customer's account on accident.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • google is always inferior for their products compared to azure / aws. nobody in right mind would risk using google infrastructure and then next week it's getting listed in killedbygoogle[DOT]com. UniSuper should get on this list lol

also, which one of you $7 chicken enjoyer has no offsite backups?

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@BruhGamer12 said:
    Google's cloud product, which is made to compete with AWS.

I know that, but that isn't what the paragraph says..

First time I read it, I thought that one of Google's competitors deleted the account, but that didn't make sense with the title and rest of the article.

Overall, I highly doubt that this has "never happened before", more likely never happened to an account with this much clout before..

• vpn2024vpn2024 Member

@ScreenReader said:
    google is always inferior for their products compared to azure / aws. nobody in right mind would risk using google infrastructure and then next week it's getting listed in killedbygoogle[DOT]com. UniSuper should get on this list lol

also, which one of you $7 chicken enjoyer has no offsite backups?

Google does have some superior services in GCP. BigQuery is simply amazing, AWS redshift doesn't compare, also not well known but it also comes with 2TB of ingestion per month free with amazing for streaming large amounts of CDC data. There's also some real nicety on the network side, for example a single VPC spans all regions, and you benefit from the Bandwidth Alliance with CDN Interconnect pricing when using for example Cloudflare too. I'd rather use GCP than Azure, Azure is 2nd purely through all the legacy SA/Technet/VL subscribers being bribed with Azure credits.

• QafarQafar Member

An interesting incident?

• UniSuper thankfully had some backups with a different provider and was able to recover its data

That is a very important take-home from the story, no matter what provider(s) you use.

• UniSuper, an Australian pension fund that manages $135 billion worth of funds and has 647,000 members, had its entire account wiped out at Google Cloud

Absolutely top-notch reliability!!

Entrust us with your data.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vpn2024 said: BigQuery is simply amazing

Indeed, I use it all the time. One of the best hidden gems in Google's crown.

• icepicicepic Member

epic disaster

• vpn2024vpn2024 Member

@Maounique said:

@vpn2024 said: BigQuery is simply amazing

Indeed, I use it all the time. One of the best hidden gems in Google's crown.

Yep we have some reports that take ages to run on postgres (even with extreme fine tuning) but we CDC the data up to BigQuery and just let them to scale the compute, I dont think we've paid more than a dollar or two per month on the query side. On ingestion we were paying around $150/mo but that was using the old API, we moved to the new streaming API and took advantage of new CDC tables, and our ingestion cost is $0.00/per month.

• somiksomik Member

@DataRecovery said:

UniSuper, an Australian pension fund that manages $135 billion worth of funds and has 647,000 members, had its entire account wiped out at Google Cloud

Absolutely top-notch reliability!!

Entrust us with your data.

Soon google will join LET offers. Many offers in LET/LEB has similar data reliability :lol:

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • LeviLevi Member

No technical post-mortem probably because multiple management failures, not engineers.

• @icepic said:
    epic disaster

Hmm, I like to say accidents do happen