Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking advice for sending my first server to a colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking advice for sending my first server to a colocation

Next week, I will be sending my first server to a colocation facility. I've never used this type of service before, but due to specific location and configuration requirements, I had to opt for colocation.

My question is: What precautions should I take when sending my server? Should I record the serial numbers of all my hardware? Any tips?

Comments

• lnxlnx Member, Patron Provider

Record the serial number(s), take pictures to document the condition of the server, and pack well. The servers are heavy and will not be treated well. I often receive boxes that are barely intact.

• jordijordi Member, Patron Provider

As indicated, take photos of your servers for serial status so that you have proof that they are yours.

Regarding parcels, I would recommend that if it is local, take it yourself with FedEx, among others, it does not matter how fragile it is.

Good luck and don't worry, the most important thing is where you have your servers, it is a trustworthy company and you know that your servers will not be left with a deadpol.

We have our servers hosted at @hivelocity from the first moment they treated us very well and the treatment is always good

Thanked by 2lnx HivelocityRick
  • jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@lnx said:
    Record the serial number(s), take pictures to document the condition of the server, and pack well. The servers are heavy and will not be treated well. I often receive boxes that are barely intact.

Everything said here, but let me double down on pack well! As a Colo provider I can't count how many servers we get in that have been destroyed by the shipper in transit. They don't respect the box, they throw them around.

This is worse now because a lot of times they aren't packed right. Proper packing is NOT bubble wrap or peanuts! 🤦🏻‍♂️ Its a server, its heavy, and when thrown around a warehouse in transit air bubbles pop, and stop protecting. Ears are constantly broke off, PSU bars bent or snapped, I've even received a few dented.

The best packing for a server is semi hard packing foam, the best. I've never received a server packaged in this damaged. Every other form of packing for a server is going to net damage, period.

I'm saying this as a DC owner who receives servers constantly in the mail.

Its like Russian roulette everytime we open a box 😂

• juniorrrrrjuniorrrrr Member
    edited May 17

Regarding the packaging, I received the server in very good packaging and I will send it using the same packaging. I believe this way I will not have any problems.

https://imgur.com/Ztg6lfJ

• HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider

@jordi said:
    As indicated, take photos of your servers for serial status so that you have proof that they are yours.

Regarding parcels, I would recommend that if it is local, take it yourself with FedEx, among others, it does not matter how fragile it is.

Good luck and don't worry, the most important thing is where you have your servers, it is a trustworthy company and you know that your servers will not be left with a deadpol.

We have our servers hosted at @hivelocity from the first moment they treated us very well and the treatment is always good

Let me know if you are ever less than 100% satisfied with anything we do for you. Thank you for the kind comments.

Thanked by 1GoodLeaf-Cloud