Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any managed GRE Tunnel providers out there?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any managed GRE Tunnel providers out there?

Hi,

Is there anyone that provides a managed GRE Tunnel service to use our IPs on other servers such as Hetzner dedicated?

It's too complicated for me so I'm looking for someone who can help me manage this.

Thanks!

Comments

• balrammbalramm Member, Host Rep

We can provide this. DM

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Hello!

A company I am a shareholder in has plans to develop such a solution, making obtaining IPs and tunneling those to any endpoint around the globe a breeze.

If you are interested, please ping me. If others find this, and are interested in such solution .. please ping, they are ready for the first alpha testers. I can forward to the colleague responsible :-)

• djuniordjunior Member, Host Rep

Maybe you can try to contact https://backbone.direct/. They are well known in these kinds of things. :smile:

• I haven’t tried it, but Noez offers this: https://noez.de/en/flexips

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited May 12

@djunior said:
    Maybe you can try to contact https://backbone.direct/. They are well known in these kinds of things. :smile:

I'll contact them. Thanks!

@NoNoisyNeighbour said:
    I haven’t tried it, but Noez offers this: https://noez.de/en/flexips

I contacted them by using the contact form in their website and also sending an email to their address but they both failed. Are they dead?

edited May 12

@RickBakkr said:
    Hello!

A company I am a shareholder in has plans to develop such a solution, making obtaining IPs and tunneling those to any endpoint around the globe a breeze.

If you are interested, please ping me. If others find this, and are interested in such solution .. please ping, they are ready for the first alpha testers. I can forward to the colleague responsible :-)

I'm hesitant to use an alpha product. Also I'm in a hurry so I need this in a day or two max.

• @anbelevebel said:

@RickBakkr said:
    Hello!

I'm hesitant to use an alpha product. Also I'm in a hurry so I need this in a day or two max.

Everyone loves tight deadlines. I somewhat doubt you will be able to be overly picky if you want to pull this off successfully.

edited May 12

@totally_not_banned said:
    Everyone loves tight deadlines. I somewhat doubt you will be able to be overly picky if you want to pull this off successfully.

If there are any well-known providers that are doing this for a long time I believe they should be able to provide this for me since it's what they do. In that case I don't need to be a tester or anything. So I'm looking for such service that is already well established. I don't know if there are any so I'm asking you guys here.

• edited May 12

@anbelevebel said:

If there are any well-known providers that are doing this for a long time I believe they should be able to provide this for me since it's what they do. In that case I don't need to be a tester or anything. So I'm looking for such service that is already well established. I don't know if there are any so I'm asking you guys here.

Well, it's not like it is overly complicated but it's not exactly that much of a common request either i think and it also requires some setup on your end. It's the type of thing that has quite a bit a possibility for unforeseen complications. Flat out expecting that it needs to ready for use in ~36h is something that seems a little dangerous to commit to without knowing all the details and a line of thinking like "if they know what they are doing they have to be able to work with this" has my spider senses tingling a little.

I mean good luck and all, maybe someone jumps in and helps you out. Time is probably quite precious here though. Obviously betting on the wrong horse also has the potential to waste a lot of time but oh well...

Thanked by 1anbelevebel
  • PatriarchPatriarch Member

@noezde for sure

• bethpbethp Member, Host Rep

Hello!

So we offer this exact option because we have customers who want to use IP's on Hetzner, We use Backbone direct in AMS however our ping to Hetzner is 5ms and over our own peering session with Hetzner direct.

Any questions please do reach out to me :)

https://hyehost.store/store/v4-tunnel

• anonmouseanonmouse Member

@anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

Is there anyone that provides a managed GRE Tunnel service to use our IPs on other servers such as Hetzner dedicated?

It's too complicated for me so I'm looking for someone who can help me manage this.

Thanks!

Are you looking to get a tunnel and IP's or are you bringing your own IP's?

• pedalapedala Member
    edited May 13

I got it from noez.de, you purchase the number of IPs + that 2 euro fee... You set the server IP where you want to take them and in the panel, you will have the option to change that IP and below, the commands for allocation... It's very easy.
    The price is really low... As for connectivity, I've been using them for a few days and they're okay... I don't know if they can withstand DDoS attacks or if they have long-term stability.

• @anonmouse said:

@anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

Thanks!

Are you looking to get a tunnel and IP's or are you bringing your own IP's?

I want to do BYOIP.

• @Patriarch said:
    @noezde for sure

@pedala said:
    I got it from noez.de, you purchase the number of IPs + that 2 euro fee... You set the server IP where you want to take them and in the panel, you will have the option to change that IP and below, the commands for allocation... It's very easy.
    The price is really low... As for connectivity, I've been using them for a few days and they're okay... I don't know if they can withstand DDoS attacks or if they have long-term stability.

Well I couldn't reach out to them. Their contact form in their website doesn't work. I filled it, hit send and it returned an internal error. Their email address doesn't accept emails. I sent an email and got sent back "Message not delivered There was a problem delivering your message to [email protected].".

How else can I get in touch with them?

• @djunior said:

I've contacted these guys and they got back to me really fast. I'm impressed with the professionalism. Looks like I'll be going with these guys.

I've never heard of them before you mention so thank you for suggesting them!

Thanked by 1djunior
  • edited May 13

• eezcloudeezcloud Member

@bethp said: So we offer this exact option because we have customers who want to use IP's on Hetzner, We use Backbone direct in AMS however our ping to Hetzner is 5ms and over our own peering session with Hetzner direct.

Kansas location, nice!

We are indeed a fairly new company, we are registered both LTD (UK) and LLC (US), I do not often post on LET our offers but this one stuck out to me as a service we do indeed offer already so figured I would let you know.

We do try our best to answer and provision ASAP we are not always lightning fast but we are a small company so we try our best.

Anyway I will stop rambling but I am happy to have a service that is working for you and we are always open to suggestions be it positive or negative.

Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • @bethp said:
    We are indeed a fairly new company, we are registered both LTD (UK) and LLC (US), I do not often post on LET our offers but this one stuck out to me as a service we do indeed offer already so figured I would let you know.

Well, i figure you have kind of a niche there. Hetzer's IPs being so incredibly costly there'll likely be more than a handful of people looking for such setups and direct peering is pretty nice for that. Maybe you might still be able to chop off 1-2ms by peering in Frankfurt or something but 5ms is already not bad at all. Do you only do this for people bringing their own IPs or do you also offer a noez-like service with IPs provided by you?

@bethp said:

Well, i figure you have kind of a niche there. Hetzer's IPs being so incredibly costly there'll likely be more than a handful of people looking for such setups and direct peering is pretty nice for that. Maybe you might still be able to chop off 1-2ms by peering in Frankfurt or something but 5ms is already not bad at all. Do you only do this for people bringing their own IPs or do you also offer a noez-like service with IPs provided by you?

So the v4 tunnel specifically is our IPs provided over GRE, SIT, VXLAN or Wiregaurd (Or any other way people want it in most cases)

The ping is due to latency from us in Interexion FRA to Hetzner so it goes over LOCIX-Fra to Hetzner, we also peer with them over FrysIX and EraIX in Amsterdam but ping is 10ms+

The tunnel option is pretty simple to be honest, run a gre tunnel, we route the prefix statically to the tunnel and then enable masquerading on the hetzner side and that's it you have tunneled-in IPs you can use, I even did this myself to confirm and I used a VPS as a router then used vswicth to a dedicated server and with some static routes added for things then it worked great but of course, there will always be a little more ping because traffic will go via us first but 5ms is typically better for most people who want cheaper IPs.

Anyway rambling again aha, our prices are on the site as well as how many usable IPs for the prefix https://hyehost.store/store/v4-tunnel

The one thing I would say is this is by no means a DDoS protected system, while some of our upstream offer protection we do not advertise such

• edited May 14

@bethp said:

@bethp said:

So the v4 tunnel specifically is our IPs provided over GRE, SIT, VXLAN or Wiregaurd (Or any other way people want it in most cases)

I see. So basically like noez.de just with a little more flexibility regarding the protocol used.

The tunnel option is pretty simple to be honest

Yeah, the setup seriously isn't rocket science for anyone who knows a bit of networking/iptables.

Anyway rambling again aha, our prices are on the site as well as how many usable IPs for the prefix https://hyehost.store/store/v4-tunnel

I'll take a look/note. I've been eyeing on noez for some time now but at least from what's presented they seem to be a little inflexible regarding the traffic coming with their tunneled IPs.

The one thing I would say is this is by no means a DDoS protected system, while some of our upstream offer protection we do not advertise such

Yeah, that might or might not be a bit of a drawback but then to my best knowledge noez doesn't advertise DDoS protection either so in any case it doesn't put you behind your direct competition.

• JohnGragJohnGrag Member

so v4 tunnel is just ip redirection ? or also Traffic ?
    mean by example Hetzner iP Traffic inbound is 4TB , will the v4 tunnel service also consume 4TB or just redirection ? has if Traffic also gre tunnel service will price depend on X Traffic ? can you explain more

• edited May 14

@JohnGrag said:
    mean by example Hetzner iP Traffic inbound is 4TB , will the v4 tunnel service also consume 4TB or just redirection ?

Yes, any traffic using these IPs will obviously go over the tunnel.

will price depend on X Traffic ?

The Hyehost offer seems to come with fair use traffic (if you plan to push a lot of data it might make sense to clarify what's fair to them) while noez gives you 1TB per IP ordered through them (usable across all the IPs, so if you get 10 IPs you could theoretically push 10TB through one of them and zero through the others) but it's not clear from their site what happens when your allocation runs out or if you can buy additional traffic.

Word of caution: If you haven't dealt much with networking/iptables before (which i somewhat deduct from your question - no offense meant) getting this running might be a bit confusing at first. Hyehost seems to be quite friendly and helpful though, so i guess they could point you into the right directions.

Thanked by 1JohnGrag

@JohnGrag said:
    mean by example Hetzner iP Traffic inbound is 4TB , will the v4 tunnel service also consume 4TB or just redirection ?

The Hyehost offer seems to come with fair use traffic while noez gives you 1TB per IP ordered through them (usable across all the IPs, so if you get 10 IPs you could theoretically push 10TB through one of them and zero through the others) but it's not clear from their site what happens when your allocation runs out of if you can buy additional traffic.

So if i do mtr from home to hetzner ip : will i see Traceroute to the tunnel IP or my Hetzner IP?
    seems like SmartDNS things? or i'm wrong?

• edited May 14

@JohnGrag said:

@JohnGrag said:

The Hyehost offer seems to come with fair use traffic while noez gives you 1TB per IP ordered through them (usable across all the IPs, so if you get 10 IPs you could theoretically push 10TB through one of them and zero through the others) but it's not clear from their site what happens when your allocation runs out of if you can buy additional traffic.

So if i do mtr from home to hetzner ip : will i see Traceroute to the tunnel IP or my Hetzner IP?

Yeah, traceroute (to your tunneled IPs) will also go through the tunnel. Traffic will go to the tunnel provider and then magically appear on your Hetzner server.

seems like SmartDNS things? or i'm wrong?

Well, not really. I've had some discussion on how SmartDNS actually works but i'm pretty sure it does it's thing by faking specific replies to provide IPs which will then do redirection of traffic. I guess one could say the second part is somewhat similar but redirecting packets isn't exactly the same thing as a tunnel.

Thanked by 1JohnGrag
    edited May 14

So in regards to the traffic we offer fair use of course but as a tunnel uses the main connection of the server then Hetzner limits of XTB would still apply as you are still using their bandwidth to connect back to us so if Hetzner give you 4TB then you would still be limited to that on Hetzner's side.

We do not limit it but Fair Use is outlined in our TOS, basically, if your use will be 24/7 port use then we can limit your port, or if you cause issues for other clients then we reserve the right to limit or terminate but we have a lot of spare bandwidth and so far no one has caused any issues (Touch Wood)

For Traceroutes you won't see Hetzner at all, it will hit for example our Frankfurt router then the next hop would be your assigned IP so Hetzner won't show at all.

@totally_not_banned,

Can you elaborate more this part : "I've had some discussion on how SmartDNS actually works but i'm pretty sure it does it's thing by faking specific replies to provide IPs which will then do redirection"

Faking specific replies , do you mean headers?
    who's gonna be more quicker GRE Tunnel or SmartDNS
    As on Gre Tunnel we need to add Latency (and peering that goes with..) but with different IP, meanwhile with SmartDNS IP stay same.. , what about DNS things .., does it need also a 'DNS server' ping latency communication that will false replies? or can be done locally?

• edited May 14

@JohnGrag said:
    @totally_not_banned,

Can you elaborate more this part : "I've had some discussion on how SmartDNS actually works but i'm pretty sure it does it's thing by faking specific replies to provide IPs which will then do redirection"

Faking specific replies , do you mean headers?

DNS replies. It works by resolving domains to IPs controlled by the SmartDNS provider which then forward packets to the original destination thereby making it look like you are in a different country (as the source is now controlled by the SmartDNS provider).

who's gonna be more quicker GRE Tunnel or SmartDNS

It's not really comparable. SmartDNS likely uses the trick laid out above to only redirect packets used by the target site to determine the location of the client while such a tunnel is configured to simply forward all traffic hitting the rented IP to somewhere else in an encapsulated form. If you want to make a comparison you'd probably better think of a VPN with a private IP and all ports forwarded.

As on Gre Tunnel we need to add Latency (and peering that goes with..) but with different IP, meanwhile with SmartDNS IP stay same.. , what about DNS things .., does it need also a 'DNS server' ping latency communication that will false replies? or can be done locally?

Yeah, it'll add latency. No, it doesn't have anything to do with DNS. Like i've said above, those technologies aren't really comparable or exchangeable.

Thanked by 1JohnGrag
    edited May 15

@bethp said:
    Hello!

So we offer this exact option because we have customers who want to use IP's on Hetzner, We use Backbone direct in AMS however our ping to Hetzner is 5ms and over our own peering session with Hetzner direct.

Any questions please do reach out to me :)

https://hyehost.store/store/v4-tunnel

If it doesn’t work out with Backbone direct you’re the next on my contact list. We have specific requirements and they’ve been quite helpful so far but still not fully setup yet.