Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self Hosting Provider - 1 Click Self Hosting On Your Computer - IPv6.rs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self Hosting Provider - 1 Click Self Hosting On Your Computer - IPv6.rs

chadsixchadsix Member, Patron Provider
edited May 12 in Offers

Hi LET Community,

We would like to introduce our service, IPv6rs, to you all. We provide IPv6 IP addresses paired with tunnels for reachability. The end result is that you will have the ability to self-host your server from home, regardless of your network structure (CGNAT) or reachability.

In order to facilitate the ease of self hosting to the masses, we developed Cloud Seeder, our 1-click self hosting application[1] in GoLang. This software allows anyone to host from home with less fields to fill in then you would even have with social media. The software is in active development, completely open source, and we're constantly improving it with our in-house application development team.

Our entire infrastructure, which consists of 16 locations and growing, was built in house by our system development team.

Features:
- 5 IPv6 IP addresses
- Free IPv4 Reverse Proxy
- Port Forwarding
- and more!

When you self host, you maintain complete sovereignty over your data. This means that you do not have to trust anyone but yourself -- after all, it would be difficult to trust people in companies when you don't even know who or how many of these people there are!

There are reasons to host in datacenters, and there are reasons to host from home, and your OPSEC should consider all scenarios for each unique application.

Our service starts as low as $3.33 [2] per month to unlock all of the processing power that you have sitting idle at home!

Come signup and start self hosting, today! :smile:

Thank you to the LET community!

[1]

Comments

• wamywamy Member

So it's just a paid Cloudflare Tunnel service? What's the difference? Don't want to seem like a dick especially when you put all this time and effort into it. Cloudflare tunnels is easy and doesn't require waiting or lots of clicking. Paired with docker or docker desktop, its simple.

• edited May 12
    • Unmetered traffic without any kind of fair use clause is likely to blow up in your face once you get more than a handful of users.
    • There's no actual information regarding the company(?) behind this. I've checked the UK company house and it doesn't know ipv6rs. I'm pretty sure if you were registered in the UK you'd have to display your company number anyways.
    • It's seriously expensive. The $3.33/m only comes with a biannual plan, which is discounted by 67% on top of that when the same thing can be achieved using a $12/y VPS, which would also include a personal IPv4.
    • The flip phone/smartphone analogy doesn't make sense. IPv6 has no advantage over IPv4 besides there being more of it. Also you'll have to claw the dump phone from my cold dead hands. I don't see any advantage in using a clunky black box prone to breakage.
    Thanked by 2dhmo homelabber
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@chadsix said: 5 IPv6 IP addresses

Why this silly, and not say a /48?

• chadsixchadsix Member, Patron Provider

This is a full 0-100, hands free, self hosting system for people who do not want to spend time dealing with networking/etc., or even do not have the skill.

This brings self hosting, and data sovereignty, to everyone.

To use a /48 effectively, you'd already know how to do all of this yourself, and probably also enjoy spending the time dealing with it. That's a different use case.

We provide service to people who don't want to spend any time at all!

Cloudflare Tunnel on the other hand is probably okay for web, but it won't work for all other protocols, ports and whatnot.

You all have legitimate questions, and I hope this answers them!

• edited May 12

@chadsix said:
    This is a full 0-100, hands free, self hosting system for people who do not want to spend time dealing with networking/etc., or even do not have the skill.

Well, i wish you good luck but i still don't think there is much of a target audience for this. I'd say most of the self hosting crowd consists of people unwilling to pay anything at all and even at your heavily discounted price they could already just order a quite sizeable amount of virtual resources (again including IPv4 connectivity, which is still vital to be accessible from a noticeable part of the internet) and just use those to host whatever they want to host without having to care about uptime anymore.

Also people self hosting are likely enthusiasts and assuming they won't be able to setup some VPN and flick like 3 switches in iptables is a bit far fetched in my opinion. I guess in the end you're probably left with some Windows only users that are overwhelmed with remote administration and/or would pay comparable amounts to host on Windows.

This brings self hosting, and data sovereignty, to everyone.

I'm seriously not trying to offend you, just giving you some feedback: This sounds an awful lot like marketing talk and it's unlikely to get you much of a positive response around here.

To use a /48 effectively, you'd already know how to do all of this yourself, and probably also enjoy spending the time dealing with it. That's a different use case.

I somewhat agree. A /48 seems a bit overkill to me too but why not at least a /64, even if it's just for the looks? This kind of stingy allocation makes it look like your trying to cut corners by just chopping up whatever came free with the servers you run your backend on.

We provide service to people who don't want to spend any time at all!

While it's certainly just my personal opinion, i'd say that not wanting to spend time and hosting is a recipe for disaster. It's obviously not your problem but chances are that people signing up with this mindset are going to regret it since it's quite likely they will be exposing services to the public internet that are wide open to abuse.

Cloudflare Tunnel on the other hand is probably okay for web, but it won't work for all other protocols, ports and whatnot.

Yeah Cloudflare obviously has quite a bit of limitations and i don't think it'll work that great with dynamic IPs and such either.

You all have legitimate questions, and I hope this answers them!

No, not really but i don't care enough to dig deeper. If you don't want to disclose the location of your company that's your choice (well, at least as far as i'm concerned) and people will make theirs. It's pretty much the same with the huge price tags, excessive contract lengths (with a company that does not even state where it's located... even with the heavy discounts you still want to collect $50 - $80 for 1/2 years with little to no track record of being reliable at all) and the wild claims in regards to IPv6.

Again, we're reaching a different clientele. There isn't risk of exposing things for abuse since everything is encapsulated in our app. Here's another example:

• edited May 13

@chadsix said:
    Again, we're reaching a different clientele.

OK, i'm not exactly sure what these are then and you probably won't find them here but oh well.

There isn't risk of exposing things for abuse since everything is encapsulated in our app. Here's another example:

... an IPv6 tunnel to selfhost BitTorrent at what would more or less buy people a seedbox... well, i'm pretty much at loss. Obviously that will save people from running any kind of badly configured web service or stuff like that. Good luck.

You can read a primer about data security and privacy online. I'll leave it at that. Best of luck to you as well! <3

• edited May 13

Not impressed, sorry. I've seen people basically root themselves like 20 years ago due being given easy access to exposing services while not understanding or caring what they are doing and those concepts don't change. Well, of course unless they are being locked down so tightly that they can do pretty much nothing at all to begin with. I might be an asshole but i know a little bit of what i'm talking about. It could be something as innocent as a MySQL server with a weak password.

Please look at the code before making assumptions. It's all open source in GoLang. We intentionally wrote it in a way that makes it easy to read.

Thank you! We really appreciate the dialog either way.

• edited May 13

@chadsix said:
    Please look at the code before making assumptions. It's all open source in GoLang. We intentionally wrote it in a way that makes it easy to read.

Well, i don't really have time (or all that much interest) for this but i think i know what you are getting at. Basically it's the version where people are locked down to a point at which they can't really make overly dumb errors.

Some people might get a bit of a different impression from the "self hosting" description though. Well, at least i did - when i think of self hosting i think of stuff like running webservers where there's far to much variation to actually automate everything while running a torrent client with port forwarding is a bit surprising to me as i wouldn't think of this as hosting at all (i hope you have some plan in place to deal with the DMCA complaints that'll surely come with people doing, well, torrent things).

Thank you! We really appreciate the dialog either way.

Well, i appreciate that you appreciate it. It's seriously not my intention to offend you even if i understand that the directness might come across that way. Like i've said, it's (unironically) sadly not overly likely that you'll find a lot individuals from your target audience here. LET is mostly filled cheapskates that would basically reinvent the wheel if it could save $0.10. Also people will be vary to prepay for long periods of time since too many have been burned by such deals in the past.

I also really don't get the pricing. I probably don't need to tell you how profitable this pricing structure is. There's likely communities where this would go largely unnoticed but around here you are dealing with a very, very greedy population that is used to almost unsustainable deals, so even if you'd find someone who's actually interested in the concept chances are the cost will make it a tough sale.

• dhmodhmo Member
    edited May 13

@totally_not_banned said:
    - It's seriously expensive. The $3.33/m only comes with a biannual plan, which is discounted by 67% on top of that when the same thing can be achieved using a $12/y VPS, which would also include a personal IPv4.

as I know, $2/m vps have IPv4 and Ipv6 with unmetered traffic (fair use) too. (with high quality service, SLA)
    Yeah, the service(IPV6RS) is very expensive.

I agree to you!

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@totally_not_banned said: There's no actual information regarding the company(?) behind this. I've checked the UK company house and it doesn't know ipv6rs. I'm pretty sure if you were registered in the UK you'd have to display your company number anyways.

Interested in this also - you put your company as IPv6rs Limited Company so I presumed you were a UK Ltd, but it doesn't exist - maybe registered somewhere else? Or if not, it shouldn't really included Limited Company after the name.

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep
    edited May 13

@iKeyZ said:

@totally_not_banned said: There's no actual information regarding the company(?) behind this. I've checked the UK company house and it doesn't know ipv6rs. I'm pretty sure if you were registered in the UK you'd have to display your company number anyways.

Interested in this also - you put your company as IPv6rs Limited Company so I presumed you were a UK Ltd, but it doesn't exist - maybe registered somewhere else? Or if not, it shouldn't really included Limited Company after the name.

https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/IL-889 so far I've found only this mention, maybe it will help someone

OrgName: IPv6rs Limited Company
    OrgId: IL-889
    Address: 1309 Coffeen Avenue STE 1200
    City: Sheridan
    StateProv: WY
    PostalCode: 82801
    RegDate: 2024-02-20
    Updated: 2024-03-08
    Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/IL-889

UPD. https://wyobiz.wyo.gov/Business/FilingDetails.aspx?eFNum=198086175251000214241211199166073240218124079214

@iKeyZ said:

We are a Limited Company in Wyoming.

@totally_not_banned said: Well, i appreciate that you appreciate it. It's seriously not my intention to offend you even if i understand that the directness might come across that way.

I really do appreciate it and we at IPv6rs do as well. Our costs are calculated by a number of factors - the reason we provide a steep discount for longer periods is that there will be less support requests (our agents are actually very technical(sysadmins) so we can help with a lot not just things relating to the tunnel).

While I agree this might not be for everyone in this community, it's important for us to still share as there are people outside of this community who will rely on advice from people within. For those who wish to have a completely hands free (and locked down as you say) experience, it is something we have found that they appreciate and there are definitely a few here as well (we know because we were told on customer support!).

Anyway, thanks again, and hope to have a lot more dialog with you both on this and other topics in the future... the LET Community is the one I've been looking for as it relates to me personally from an online social aspect! ;)

• dhmodhmo Member

I checked your website and saw a map with a list of servers.
    Some countries, including the Japanese archipelago, have been removed from the map.
    If this was done intentionally in a discriminatory way, as a Japanese person, I will protest against the discrimination.

That's interesting and thanks for the heads up. It was not done in an intentional way but instead must have been inherited from the purchased stock art for this. We'll find better artwork!

Thanked by 1dhmo
  • dhmodhmo Member

Okay I see!

Thanked by 1chadsix
    edited May 14

https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/grey-map-of-the-world-on-a-white-background-gm1470522174-501342876?searchscope=image,film

Here's the actual link incase you're wondering!

Edit: We have since replaced it! Thanks again for pointing this out!

Thanked by 1dhmo
  • dhmodhmo Member

Thanks <3

Thanked by 1chadsix