Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any up-to-date website/tools about bgp/peering data?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any up-to-date website/tools about bgp/peering data?

OhJohnOhJohn Member
edited May 11 in Help

I normally use e.g. bgp.he.net or bgp.tools or peeringdb.com to research transits,upstream providers, peering, ASNs etc. of providers.

Now I'm seeing that a lot of those information are not up to date, e.g. bgp.tools seems to use peeringdb.com and that one lists a lot of IX members that are not members anymore atm. (Example: check a special candidate at DE-CIX in Frankfurt or Phoenix that once had at least 200GB peering there but not anymore).

So do you know of any better websites or tools that have better up-to-date information in regard to transits, peering, etc?

Comments

• kaitkait Member

Except from getting it straight from the source? No bgp.tools/peeringdb.com are your best options.

• OhJohnOhJohn Member

Too sad. Maybe peeringdb should introduce some automatic checks against official IX member lists against their provider-provided data :/

(I don't know if this could be easily done with some bgp checking tools).

• kaitkait Member

@OhJohn said: Too sad. Maybe peeringdb should introduce some automatic checks against official IX member lists against their provider-provided data :/

(I don't know if this could be easily done with some bgp checking tools).

Yeah, I would love something like this :joy:

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

@OhJohn said: Too sad. Maybe peeringdb should introduce some automatic checks against official IX member lists against their provider-provided data

PeeringDB somewhat has this using IX-F, which is also well supported with IXP Manager which a lot of IXPs use.
    It allows for exchanges to auto-update PeeringDB entries when a network has allowed that on their PeeringDB profile and it will also send you an email per default if an IX-F export does not match the one provided by the network in PeeringDB.
    However indeed, there is no automated reject or adjustment when it does not match.

On the more active IXPs ghost entries on PeeringDB get "washed" out at latest when someone else gets the v4 assigned and can't add it into PeeringDB.

Sadly IXPs like DE-CIX don't publish a participant list with port speeds so you sadly have to trust the honesty of the provider reporting it correctly to PeeringDB.
    If a port still exists you can check on their LG, https://lg.de-cix.net/routeservers/rs1_fra_ipv4

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

There are many various looking glass tools/sites that can be checked.

What is the actual information you are after? Or what is the question you are trying to answer?

• OhJohnOhJohn Member

@kevinds: I just wanted a handy overview at hand while checking a provider. I normally use bgp.tools but after digging deeper found that quite some information there, e.g. in regard to IX connections, might be out of date. I surely can check all the different single information points, eg. member lists at IX websites or tools like the one pointed out by ruben above, etc. but don't know of an up-to-date overview that I could trust in regard to the published information where you get all the information brought together the way e.g. bgp.he.net or bgp.tools does it.