Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Hardware for sale
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal Hardware for sale

8QE8QE Member

I have 8x E3-1270v1 or v2 servers unused and all functions are normal
32GB RAM
2 x 1TB HDD + 4TB HDD
Supermicro (4 LFF)
In Los Angeles Quadranet

Anyone is interested in taking them?

Comments

• SparkedPaulSparkedPaul Member, Patron Provider

If they were blade maybe

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Honestly these are really not worth anything now days. Better to just have someone take them for free if you're not wanting to pay for the space anymore.

• edited May 11

Yeah, sad but true. If you really want to get some money out of this you could try to sell the disks at 10-20€ a piece on Ebay (likely a little more for the 4TB) if those are SATA (if it's SAS...). The other parts though...

If you manage to find a buyer you could maybe get like 5-10€ out of the 32GB RAM but it will be a hard sell (unless those modules are on the upper end in terms of DDR3 speed, which would make them somewhat rare and more sought after improving prices and chance of a sale).

Beyond that the only thing you might get some money from is the fans, power supply (if there's a bit of upwards compatibility or not many of them are being sold giving you bit of leverage when it comes to squeezing people looking for replacements) and maybe the case. Especially fans are often times stupidly expensive (well, at least considering they are basically old junk).

TL;DR: The only thing to be realistically sold is the disks and maybe the fans. Theoretically i'd give you like 10€ per box (probably still not anywhere near 80 for all 8) without disks (i wouldn't care for RAM, mainboard, power supply either) and even that only if it's nice cases with a lot of nice fans while shipping is basically free.

There's guys buying circuit boards/CPUs by the kilo for gold extraction though, so if you have a lot of those that might make you some dollars (not much but it's something + you can be sure at least some of the resources are getting saved and reused). Same with the scrap metal and especially the copper (yeah even the cables sell for copper - you'll take quite a price penalty if you don't remove the shielding and other non copper parts though, so don't expect to much unless you have a lot of free time on your hands).

• xvpsxvps Member
    edited May 11

E3 1270 v2 Geekbench 6 score is 686/2361.

You can rent both VPS's and dedicated servers with better specs for less than the colocation price.

But if you can ship them cheap, they are still usable in homelabs.

Ebay might be a better place to sell them.

• edited May 11

@xvps said:

Sure but why or at what price? Even over a year ago i already bought a dual 2637v2 server with 32GB (or really rather ~100GB, the board just can't fit more modules) RAM for ~90€. Admittedly no disks included but still.

• xvpsxvps Member

@totally_not_banned said:

@xvps said:

Sure but why or at what price? Even over a year ago i already bought a dual 2637v2 server with 32GB RAM for ~90€. Admittedly no disks included but still.

$100 - $200 each is better than paying recycling fees.

Other similar server offers on eBay are without disks, so they might sell because it is complete servers with disks.

• edited May 11

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

Sure but why or at what price? Even over a year ago i already bought a dual 2637v2 server with 32GB RAM for ~90€. Admittedly no disks included but still.

Well, an E3 isn't really a dual E5 and there's just lots and lots of those boxes on Ebay (i have another dual E5, which was even cheaper as i just bought parts - admittedly i didn't get a 19" case for it and just used an old tower). At this point and with a little luck you could probably already get some v3 or v4 in that range (like 2 years i ago i actually bought a board with an E5-1620v4, cooler and 16GB at 70€). I think outside of sheer luck $200 is pretty unrealistic and that's looking at the German market. US tends to have much higher availability and even lower prices.

Other similar server offers on eBay are without disks, so they might sell because it is complete servers with disks.

Well, maybe but people buying those usually know how to connect disks and you can get a 1TB SATA disk at like 10€, probably even a little lower if you can run SAS.

I'm not saying these should necessarily end as e-waste but i don't see much hope for selling them quickly for an actually relevant amount of money. Yeah sure, someone might be willing to pay like 50 to maybe 100€ (or even a little more - who knows? people are weird sometimes) for such a box but with all the competition finding this person might take quite a while and those things don't actually become younger. It's just my personal opinion but i'd probably try to sell the parts that are sellable on Ebay and whatever is left is sold as scrap (if someone's paying to get rid of electronics/cables/metals they are doing it wrong).

• xvpsxvps Member

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

Well, an E3 isn't really a dual E5 and there's just lots and lots of those boxes on Ebay (i have another dual E5, which was even cheaper as i just bought parts - admittedly i didn't get a 19" case for it and just used an old tower). At this point and with a little luck you could probably already get some v3 or v4 in that range (like 2 years i ago i actually bought a board with an E5-1620v4, cooler and 16GB at 70€). I think outside of sheer luck $200 is pretty unrealistic and that's looking at the German market. US tends to have much higher availability and even lower prices.

Well, maybe but people buying those usually know how to connect disks and you can get a 1TB SATA disk at like 10€, probably even a little lower if you can run SAS.

I'm not saying these should necessarily end as e-waste but i don't see much hope for selling those quick for an actually relevant amount of money. Yeah sure, someone might be willing to pay like 50 to maybe 100€ (or even a little more - who knows? people are weird sometimes) for such a box but with all the competition finding this person might take quite a while and those things don't actually become younger. It's just my personal opinion but i'd probably try to sell the parts that are sellable on Ebay and whatever is left is sold as scrap (if someone's paying to get rid of electronics/cables/metals they are doing it wrong).

I don't know how recycling works in LA, but in Denmark where I am from, the scrap value of 8 servers are so low that nobody want to spend time on it. You will need hundreds of servers, if you plan to sell to a scrap company.

Your only option is to hand over the servers to a public recycling center. Consumers can do that for free. Companies pays fees.

And the servers are in a datacenter. If OP doesn't live next door to the datacenter there will be shipping and handling cost.

I Googled: scrap value of a server in the US.
    Result: Complete server $0.45 /lb.

• edited May 11

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

I'm not saying these should necessarily end as e-waste but i don't see much hope for selling those quick for an actually relevant amount of money. Yeah sure, someone might be willing to pay like 50 to maybe 100€ (or even a little more - who knows? people are weird sometimes) for such a box but with all the competition finding this person might take quite a while and those things don't actually become younger. It's just my personal opinion but i'd probably try to sell the parts that are sellable on Ebay and whatever is left is sold as scrap (if someone's paying to get rid of electronics/cables/metals they are doing it wrong).

I don't know how recycling works in LA, but in Denmark where I am from, the scrap value of 8 servers are so low that nobody want to spend time on it. You will need hundreds of servers, if you plan to sell to a scrap company.

Well, for the circuit boards you'll actually truly be scrambling to get back shipping costs (if you need to do this) with small amounts of a couple kilogram (CPUs - the older the better - are a little more sought after due to more gold content) but at least around here there's tons people buying recycling materials. The next one is like 15-20 minutes walking distance from me. Prices are better outside the city though.

I Googled: scrap value of a server in the US.
    Result: Complete server $0.45 /lb.

I'm not sure how much an lb is and you certainly won't be getting rich on this (for that you should rather collect the waste from renovation sites - old copper tubing and stuff like that can mean serious money) but it still seems a little low. Just 100g copper is easily worth more than double of that. All the cables are copper, power supplies have spindles of copper wire, if your lucky you have some copper cooling, ...

Well, the alternative around here would be to call the city and arrange a date for them to come and pick it up. 2 collections per year are free of charge and you can dump literal cubic meters of electronics if you really just want them gone ;)

• xvpsxvps Member
    edited May 11

Well, the alternative around here would be to call the city and arrange a date for them to come and pick it up. 2 collections per year are free of charge and you can dump literal cubic meters of electronics if you really just want them gone ;)

This is common for private households, but are you sure you can do that from a company address?

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that the servers are in a datacenter in the US and your idea about selling pieces and recycling the rest is just a waste of time.

• edited May 11

@xvps said:

This is common for private households, but are you sure you can do that from a company address?

Sure, i'll just take the stuff home. Noone's ever going to check or even ask ;)

I highly doubt the containers where IT-waste is thrown otherwise cost money though. I mean, why would it when it's basically free money to whoever collects them? I'd love to get my hands of the waste management of some of the companies around here. Even if the official policy is to break everything that gets thrown in there i'd probably get rich just by the stuff that survives by accident (tons of perfectly good and relatively modern laptops, servers, peripherals, you name it...). Driving the scrap around for a couple kilometers and collecting my money would just be a bonus ;)

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that the servers are in a datacenter in the US and your idea about selling pieces and recycling the rest is just a waste of time.

Well, OP would obviously have to have them sent back first... Someone's going to pay for shipping them out anyways. Chances of people buying those boxes and wanting to colo at the exactly same DC are probably approaching the negative part of the scale. Sure that can be put on the buyer but any semi-sane person is going to deduct whatever that costs from the price they are willing to pay (all my prices above obviously included shipping), so it doesn't really change much who exactly orders the shipping.

• xvpsxvps Member

@xvps said:

I highly doubt the containers where IT-waste is thrown otherwise cost money though. I mean, why would it when it's basically free money to whoever collects them? I'd love to get my hands of the waste management of some of the companies around here. Even if the official policy is to break everything that gets thrown in there i'd probably get rich just by the stuff that survives by accident (tons of perfectly good and relatively modern laptops, servers, peripherals, you name it...). Driving the scrap around for a couple kilometers and collecting my money would just be a bonus ;)

Fraud + theft + you might break some environment laws too.

Good luck with that.

• edited May 11

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

Good luck with that.

LOL, what fraud? What theft? At that point it's my waste and the ones instructed to break the shit are the employees of those companies not the waste guy. Waste guy just collects his container when it's full of... waste What do you think those public e-waste removers do? Yep, 99% (well, probably it's rather 100% these days) have channels for selling the stuff thats still worth selling.

If i'd take stuff other people have put out for the city to get, well, that's actual theft but it's so common for people to take what they like that even if anyone would raise a stink about it i'd be practically pointless. As far as the containers of those companies are concerned: Noone's taking anything there as they are locked anyways.

Oh, and any company can sell anything any time to their employees, even at the hefty price of $0. If those employees change their mind a day later and want the shit gone is noone's business. Jeez, people make stuff complicated sometimes ;)

• xvpsxvps Member

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

Good luck with that.

LOL, what fraud? What theft? At that point it's my waste and the ones instructed to break the shit are the employees of those companies not the waste guy. Waste guy just collects his container when it's full of... waste What do you think those public e-waste removers do? Yep, 99% (well, probably it's rather 100% these days) have channels for selling the stuff thats still worth selling.

If i'd take stuff other people have put out for the city to get, well, that's actual theft but it's so common for people to take what they like that even if anyone would raise a stink about it i'd be practically pointless. As far as the containers of those companies are concerned: Noone's taking anything there as they are locked anyways.

Oh, and any company can sell anything any time to their employees, even at the hefty price of $0. If those employees change their mind a day later and want the shit gone is noone's business. Jeez, people make stuff complicated sometimes ;)

Bla bla bla.

As a start, check how many laws that regulates recycling companies and the amount of permits they need.

Oh, I forgot you just take it home to your private address. Nobody is going to notice.

Over and out.

• edited May 11

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

@xvps said:

Good luck with that.

Bla bla bla.

As a start, check how many laws that regulates recycling companies and the amount of permits they need.

Oh, I forgot you just take it home to your private address. Nobody is going to notice.

Over and out.

Jesus christ... It's not like you recycle anything anyways. You just get the shit to the actual recyclers (or, well, rather the next middleman) and even if there's a piece of paper needed for that (which i doubt) you just go get it. If that's what's needed to make money, so what? You make it sound like it's nuclear waste that's being handled. It's a bunch of old electronics. I can guarantee you the guys running those collection facilities are anything but Einsteins and they are certainly legal...

And, yeah, taking 8 servers home and letting them be collected is not only perfectly legal if you aren't going at it like 150% stupid and zero persons are going to raise even half an eyebrow about it (why would they? It's nothing that exceptional and it's nice waste so everyone's happy).

I'm seriously not sure what about this is pissing you off so much.