Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ssl certificate recommendation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ssl certificate recommendation

lzy666lzy666 Member

Is there any SSL certificate platform that you can recommend that is friendly to Google search engines?
The price is as low as possible.
Preferably around $20 a year.
When I was looking for a VPS before, I seemed to have seen SSL certificates on some platforms. They promote themselves as Google-friendly and will speed up Google inclusion and ranking. While that might be a bit of an exaggeration, I might want to give it a try.

Comments

• lukast__lukast__ Member

Why not Let's Encrypt?

• lzy666lzy666 Member

@lukast__ said:
    Why not Let's Encrypt?

I feel like there is no cost to using it, there are many, many people using it too much which may affect google rankings (I guess)

• ailiceailice Member

Unless you need multidomain SSL, PositiveSSL Single Domain was around ~15$ and perhaps you can get more discount if buy from third-party seller.

Thanked by 1lzy666
  • fazarfazar Member

@lzy666 said:
    I feel like there is no cost to using it, there are many, many people using it too much which may affect google rankings (I guess)

200+ millions web using letsencrypt. it wont affect google rank. But if you want pay for yearly certs, you can go with comodo, certera, or sectigo (single domain)

Thanked by 1lzy666
  • lzy666lzy666 Member

@ailice said:
    Unless you need multidomain SSL, PositiveSSL Single Domain was around ~15$ and perhaps you can get more discount if buy from third-party seller.

Are there any recommended platforms?

• These are alternatives if you do not want to use Let's Encrypt.
    Personally, I don't see much benefit in purchasing paid SSL unless it's a business site or development.
    ZeroSSL
    Google Trust Services
    Buypass Go SSL

Thanked by 1lzy666
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Google ranks websites based on their internal algorithm. While the quality of the SSL certificate may have some influence, it is unlikely to be a major ranking factor.

Some suggestions around SSL certificate quality, like using a dedicated IPv4 address or avoiding shared hosting, might just be attempts to uncover a supposed "secret" formula for higher rankings to profit from it.

In reality, the perceived quality differences in SSL certificates are mostly marketing gimmicks, except for a few specialized cases.

All SSL certificates recognized by browsers as reliable are on par in terms of security and effectiveness.

Thanked by 2lzy666 Plioser
  • dhmodhmo Member

@lzy666 said:
    Is there any SSL certificate platform that you can recommend that is friendly to Google search engines?
    When I was looking for a VPS before, I seemed to have seen SSL certificates on some platforms. They promote themselves as Google-friendly and will speed up Google inclusion and ranking. While that might be a bit of an exaggeration, I might want to give it a try.

Use Let's Encrypt. (FREE)
    In most of case, It's enough unless you are company.

Thanked by 1lzy666
  • xprebounxpreboun Member

If you are not in finance, governments or other restricted sectors, paying for a DV certificate is 99% not worth it. OV and EV might be worthwhile depends on the trustworthiness or regulations.
    Honestly, with certificate duration potentially being reduced to 90 days, there are good reasons to use free CAs like Let's Encrypt, ZeroSSL, GTS because they already implement ACME API and plenty ACME clients exist for various platforms.

Thanked by 3lzy666 tentor kdh
  • kdhkdh Member
    edited May 5

Unless you're in a circumstance similar to mine, using SSL certificates for a web-game server which makes changing it without downtime impossible, or any other circumstance(s) that makes automatic certificate renewals impossible, there ain't real reason to opt for paid certificates nowadays.

The only reason to use it beyond this is either: you want that 'warranty' to prevent some kind of dystopia arising from the sudden emergence of a quantum computer (which is not gonna happen, at least in a day or two), or you're just a big company and want to slap that shiny 'Sectigo' brand when user clicks on the lock button.

Thanked by 3lzy666 xpreboun Hakim
  • xprebounxpreboun Member

@kdh said: using SSL certificates for a web-game server which makes changing it without downtime impossible

Which web server do you use? I think Apache/Nginx both could reload SSL certificates without causing downtime (Nginx reload & Apache graceful).

• JosephFJosephF Member

@lzy666 said:

Cloudflare SSL.

Thanked by 1lzy666
  • kdhkdh Member

@xpreboun said:

@kdh said: using SSL certificates for a web-game server which makes changing it without downtime impossible

Which web server do you use? I think Apache/Nginx both could reload SSL certificates without causing downtime (Nginx reload & Apache graceful).

We are using web sockets, and we're not using Nginx/Apache for our game servers.
    I know we can set up a proxy, but setting up 128 proxies for all our servers is a bit of a nonsense.

Thanked by 1xpreboun
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If I’m buying a cert, and there are times I prefer to do that, I use gogetssl. They’ve been a little spammy in the past but most SSL resellers are. Their interface is just quick and simple, and I find the ratio of time spent on their site to price paid to be a sweet spot.

Thanked by 2lzy666 kdh
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited May 5

Even for an e-commerce website, is their any specific, good, reasons to not use a free SSL?

@JosephF said:
    Even for an e-commerce website, is their any specific, good, reasons to not use a free SSL?

For merchant account to accept cards.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@rustelekom said:

@JosephF said:

You can't obtain a merchants account to accept credit cards using Let's Encrypt SSL?

@JosephF said:

@rustelekom said:

@JosephF said:

You can't obtain a merchants account to accept credit cards using Let's Encrypt SSL?

The security department of some banks simply will not accept this. For the same reason, why to register a company, you need a real office space. But now, unfortunately, the terms are not so strict, and that is also one of the reasons why so many scams happen these days. Less requirements for businesses - less security for customers.

Thanked by 1lzy666
  • NanjaNanja Member

The free cloudflare SSL certificates I use for some of my domains.
    They are nice wildcard SSL certificates
    Certificates are signed and issued by Google Trust Services,

I think no problems with google if cert comes from google.
    ^ this is just an assumption... it'd be weird if I am wrong.

Thanked by 1lzy666
  • cheapsslwebcheapsslweb Member, Patron Provider

@lzy666 said:

@ailice said:

Are there any recommended platforms?

You can checkout https://cheapsslweb.com/ to get all kind of SSL certificates at cheapest price from trusted CAs like Sectigo, Comodo, Thawte, DigiCert, Rapid, GeoTrust, Certera! Starts at just $2.99/yr!

Thanked by 1lzy666