Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you register your domain names? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you register your domain names?

Comments

• PorlamPorlam Member

Registrars I've ever used are regery/spaceship/netim/ovh/porkbun/cloudflare/etc...

• hyperhostsolutionshyperhostsolutions Member, Patron Provider

Tucows have done for many years

• siemenssiemens Member

Incognet

• FairShareFairShare Member

Dynadot for most of my domains. Gives you bulk pricing when you cross a certain yearly threshold. Good support, even on chat. And prices are competitive if not the lowest. And has a good API too!

• nick_nick_ Member

Mainly Spaceship and Porkbun.

• Moving from Namesilo to Dynadot for years. Cloudflare and Spaceship sometimes has cheaper price.

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

Namecheap and spaceship

• JerryHouJerryHou Member

sav.com and internet.bs

• eriseris Member

Openprovider

• suyadi92suyadi92 Member

Spaceship
    But the UI is confusing

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited May 5

Having your domain registrations split up between half a dozen different registrars is both difficult to manage as well as a recipe to miss renewals.

• malignifymalignify Member

@JosephF said:
    Having your domain registrations split up between half a dozen different registrars is both difficult to manage as well as a recipe to miss renewals.

If you are afraid of missing renewals, that's what auto renew is for :D

• JosephFJosephF Member

@malignify said:

@JosephF said:

Until your credit card expires...

• malignifymalignify Member

@JosephF said:

@malignify said:

@JosephF said:

Until your credit card expires...

Renew in advance and put more years into them. Or add credits :D

• DazzleDazzle Member

@Hannan said:
    Any experience with ?

https://www.cosmotown.com/#!/

I have some domains with them and have encountered several problems:

• The 2FA is inconsistent; sometimes it sends codes via SMS, other times via WhatsApp. One day, the 2FA simply stopped working, preventing me from logging in. After contacting support, they disabled my 2FA.
    • The support is slow and operates through a separate portal.
    • Occasionally, renewed domains do not get renewed but remain pending. I had to contact support and they approve it manually.

I had enough with this provider and in a process migrating away.

Currently using Dynadot, Spaceship, Cloudflare, and Namesilo (not cheap anymore, plan to migrate away from NS too)

• HeostHeost Member

Sav, Cosmotown, Dynadot, Openprovider.

@>; @JosephF said:

I use DomainMod for this purpose.

Thanked by 1cname
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited May 5

The truth of the matter is that domain name registration is a commodity. Any registrar does the same thing. All you need from them is to point your domain name's nameservers to wherever you want. You can choose any third-party DNS service (such as Cloudflare, HE, AWS Route53, NS1, Afraid FreeDNS, ClouDNS, etc.) and simply control all your domains, from all your registrars, in one central DNS provider. The only thing you'll then ever need from your domain registrars is to take care of annual renewals.

So there's no real reason not to choose the lowest cost registrar, so long as they don't have a reputation of messing up renewals or seizing customer's domains.

• JosephFJosephF Member

If you have a large portfolio of domain names or are reselling them, you might want to consider Register.com:

https://partnerships.register.com/

• nductivnductiv Member

No external DNS servers for domains registered at CloudFlare:

> "6.1 Nameservers. Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS."

https://www.cloudflare.com/domain-registration-agreement/

• mhnmhn Member

I use Google Domains Turkey. I'm waiting on the squarespace transfer but until then I've renewed multiple .net/.dev/.org for 10 years for 2.5 eur/year. .com is still 5 eur

• JosephFJosephF Member

@mhn said:
    I use Google Domains Turkey. I'm waiting on the squarespace transfer but until then I've renewed multiple .net/.dev/.org for 10 years for 2.5 eur/year. .com is still 5 eur

Do they accept orders from outside Turkey?

• mhnmhn Member

@JosephF said:

@mhn said:

Do they accept orders from outside Turkey?

They used to, but no longer since they sold to squarespace

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

We put our domain names in the hosts file, which is then uucp'ed daily to all the computers in the network.
    This is much cheaper than paying off both the registrar and the ICANN.

• LeviLevi Member

Did anyone mentioned name fckin crane yet?

• @Levi said:
    Did anyone mentioned name fckin crane yet?

No, because domain registrations are not available yet.

• berrybyteberrybyte Member, Host Rep

cloudflare.com or porkbun, but more on CF as of lately since we end up managing DNS there anyway.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@berrybyte said:
    cloudflare.com or porkbun, but more on CF as of lately since we end up managing DNS there anyway.

I manage my domains on CF, too, but don't register domains with them due to their inflexibility in permitting use of non-CF nameservers for your domain.

And, that, there's no downside or loss in using another registrar and still having the full suite of CF services.

• dhmodhmo Member

I use Porkbun, Spaceship, NameCheap, XDomain, Cloudflare Registry, etc

• RobotexRobotex Member

Cloudflare

• lirrrlirrr Member

CF