Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low cost cloud object/file storage backend providers with no egress charges and less than $5 / TB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low cost cloud object/file storage backend providers with no egress charges and less than $5 / TB

RageshAntonyRageshAntony Member
edited April 29 in Help

We are developing an OTT/VOD platform like Netflix.

For initial MVC, we need a cloud storage backend to store movies and series videos.

I need something without egress charges.

I selected Backblaze B2+Cloudflare or Wasabi. Both are low cost but we need something below $5 such as $3 per TB for month.

We will store atleast 100 TB even in MVC phase since we use HLS streaming which has multiple video files for each quality for a single episode of a web series.

Can you please suggest me ?

Comments

• FreekFreek Member

Checkout iDrive e2 (S3 compatible storage).
    100TB costs 1500 USD for 1 year (first year only)
    https://www.idrive.com/s3-storage-e2/pricing

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • Not sure what is your average egress per month, but you can probably get away with Hostbrr's storage server (aff link) (Non aff link) and run a MinIO there.

They're start at $2.5/TB and located on EU.

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

you'll get lots of dmca, not good to use BB or wazabi, you've to setup your own s3 storage via Minio + Nginx/caddy (with nginx you can reverse proxy and secure the origin server, and rotate the proxy if may blocked

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • @Freek said:
    Checkout iDrive e2 (S3 compatible storage).
    100TB costs 1500 USD for 1 year (first year only)
    https://www.idrive.com/s3-storage-e2/pricing

looks good

But how much after first year

Also they have Egress charge after 3 times download

• eriseris Member

3000 dollar..

Also the ingress pricing is terrible with 0,01 dollar / GB / month so if you store 100TB and stream 1 000TB you allready pay:
    700 000 * 0.01 = 7000 dollar / month on egress fees..

Then Blackblaze is a lot cheaper...

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • @listerine90 said:
    Not sure what is your average egress per month, but you can probably get away with Hostbrr's storage server (aff link) (Non aff link) and run a MinIO there.

/// run a MinIO there.//

Sorry. I didn't get it.

the "Budget Storage VPS 5TB - IPv4 NAT" has only 5TB. Can I increase it ? My egress is very high since lot of people watch videos.

Also,run a MinIO there means what?

• @RageshAntony said:

@listerine90 said:
    Not sure what is your average egress per month, but you can probably get away with Hostbrr's storage server (aff link) (Non aff link) and run a MinIO there.

/// run a MinIO there.//

Sorry. I didn't get it.

the "Budget Storage VPS 5TB - IPv4 NAT" has only 5TB. Can I increase it ? My egress is very high since lot of people watch videos.

Also,run a MinIO there means what?

MinIO is a software that allows you to host your own s3 object storage server on any compatible machine.

• RageshAntonyRageshAntony Member
    edited April 29

@listerine90

New info.https://github.com/minio/minio

And how to increase storage of this Hostbrr's storage server ? I get configs upto 10TB

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited April 29

@RageshAntony said: how to increase storage of this Hostbrr's storage server

I don't know, maybe contact support?

@RageshAntony said: Backblaze B2+Cloudflare

Yeah that's a violation of CF's ToS and you'll get the ban hammer in no time.

@RageshAntony said: Egress charge after 3 times download

Assuming a 4K stream is encoded in 25Mbps, even if we assume EVERY user watches your content in 4K, that's 11GB/hour, so you're users need to watch 27K+ hours of content to go over 300TB of usage. If you consider a 5Mbps 1080p stream, this will be 136K+ hours. At this scale, I'm pretty sure you'll need to invest in your own infrastructure. Just my 2c

Thanked by 2RageshAntony sh97
  • RageshAntonyRageshAntony Member
    edited April 29

@sanvit

Thanks.

And I didn't get this point

/// Yeah that's a violation of CF's ToS and you'll get the ban hammer in no time. ///

Why they need to ban ? Backblaze B2 is like S3, cloud backend not like Google Drive or Onedrive which can't be used as server backend ?

• sanvitsanvit Member

@RageshAntony said: Why they need to ban

Maybe you cost them too much resource for free? Please do your own research.

https://www.cloudflare.com/service-specific-terms-application-services/#content-delivery-network-terms
    They may allow a few TBs go through without a problem, but for 100s of TBs? Not a chance.

• @sanvit ... yes!!!

Extract from cloudflare

"....Unless you are an Enterprise customer, Cloudflare offers specific Paid Services (e.g., the Developer Platform, Images, and Stream) that you must use in order to serve video and other large files via the CDN. Cloudflare reserves the right to disable or limit your access to or use of the CDN, or to limit your End Users’ access to certain of your resources through the CDN, if you use or are suspected of using the CDN without such Paid Services to serve video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other large files. "

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

@RageshAntony said:
    @sanvit

Thanks.

And I didn't get this point

/// Yeah that's a violation of CF's ToS and you'll get the ban hammer in no time. ///

Why they need to ban ? Backblaze B2 is like S3, cloud backend not like Google Drive or Onedrive which can't be used as server backend ?

yes true,
    they'll ban you once they found exceed amount of egress. lots of excuses and reason to ban you. so better to setup your own storage, you'll get ban ip, but your content is safe, rotate proxy, and live it,

i'm also planning to setup same, so i am looking ssd based storage,which minio recommend with xfs file structure,

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • fayaz90fayaz90 Member

@sanvit said:

@RageshAntony said: Why they need to ban

Maybe you cost them too much resource for free? Please do your own research.

https://www.cloudflare.com/service-specific-terms-application-services/#content-delivery-network-terms
    They may allow a few TBs go through without a problem, but for 100s of TBs? Not a chance.

correct, even some of my sites, hits almost 30-40tb bandwidth every monthly.

• IHA_UserIHA_User Member
    edited April 29

Maybe Block Storage from buyvm.net ? If I remember right, they sell 1TB for 3€ in Luxembourg.
    Edit : sorry it’s $5 per TB

• i'm also planning to setup same, so i am looking ssd based storage,which minio recommend with xfs file structure,

@fayaz90

The pricing in minio is 20 TB per month ? That is higher for me

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

@RageshAntony said:

i'm also planning to setup same, so i am looking ssd based storage,which minio recommend with xfs file structure,

@fayaz90

The pricing in minio is 20 TB per month ? That is higher for me

This price is for enteeprise plan which off course much costly in this plan you don’t need to setup hardware and minio.

You need free one
    You need a server. And minio agpl license(free )
    To setup on your own hardware. And via aging you can route them and put behind proxy if you want.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • fayaz90fayaz90 Member

Nginx*

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

@IHA_User said:
    Maybe Block Storage from buyvm.net ? If I remember right, they sell 1TB for 3€ in Luxembourg.
    Edit : sorry it’s $5 per TB

But it has limited I/O. Not good for streaming.

• @fayaz90

//You need a server. And minio agpl license(free )
    To setup on your own hardware//

Okay.

Yes. ///I need a server./// But I can't find anything below $5.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@RageshAntony said: Yes. ///I need a server./// But I can't find anything below $5.

TBH $5 will be the minimum you can go (especially if you need a lot of egress traffic) for a somewhat reliable managed S3 solution. If not, you should go with sth like those storage server deals and manage the servers yourself. $3/TB/mo is on the limits even for providers that just throws you a bunch of disks.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • in theory you could use feralhosting.com
    they offer 8TB HDD for 60 pounds. Its a seedbox provider, but they got phpmyadmin, so you maybe could use it for your site.

• @IHA_User said: 8TB HDD for 60 pounds

That's far more expensive than he asked for.

• eriseris Member

@sanvit said:

@RageshAntony said: Yes. ///I need a server./// But I can't find anything below $5.

TBH $5 will be the minimum you can go (especially if you need a lot of egress traffic) for a somewhat reliable managed S3 solution. If not, you should go with sth like those storage server deals and manage the servers yourself. $3/TB/mo is on the limits even for providers that just throws you a bunch of disks.

Even then you still have Egress data traffic unless you use Cloudflare and last time I got complains from them and they wanted to invoice me 5k euro / month

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

@eris said:

@sanvit said:

Even then you still have Egress data traffic unless you use Cloudflare and last time I got complains from them and they wanted to invoice me 5k euro / month

Hahaha I bet

• eriseris Member

@fayaz90 said:

@eris said:

@sanvit said:

Hahaha I bet

Nicolas (Cloudflare)
    Jul 26, 2020, 6:18 AM PDT

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting Cloudflare support. My name is Nicolas and I will be looking into this ticket for you.
    We're sorry to read that you're experiencing difficulties.

Your domain was routed off the Cloudflare platform for violations of our Terms of Service (viewable at https://www.cloudflare.com/terms). Specifically, the purpose of Cloudflare’s Service is to proxy web content, not store data. Using an account primarily as an online storage space, including the storage or caching of a disproportionate percentage of pictures, movies, audio files, or other non-HTML content, is prohibited.

As such, your website has been routed off the Cloudflare platform.

Nicolas | Cloudflare Support Engineer
    Search the Cloudflare Community for advice and insight.

And:
    Jessica Iyer (Cloudflare)
    Jul 27, 2020, 2:53 AM PDT

Hi Jaap,

Thanks for reaching out to Cloudflare! My name is Jessica and I'm on the Sales team. The folks from Support forwarded me your ticket.

I see that you're interested in our CDN for video delivery, which is available on our enterprise plan. Since each enterprise plan is custom-tailored to a customer's needs, I wouldn't be able give you a direct quote right now. For full transparency, these plans start in the $x,xxx/month range and scale from there.

If you're interested in learning more, I'd be happy to arrange a call. What seems like a good next step?

Cheers,
    Jessica

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

I can understand

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited April 29

OP didn't explicitly mention DMCA ignored, so is this your own content? If so, Gorilla servers might work.

Their cheapest storage server is:
    Dual Xeon E5-2630v4 (20 Cores / 40 Threads)
    128GB DDR4 ECC
    240GB SSD
    12 x 14TB SAS HDD
    1Gbit unmetered
    $259/mo
    https://www.gorillaservers.com/dedicated-servers/

168TB of raw storage @ $1.54/TB. Then obviously pick whatever raid setup you want to add a bit of fault tolerance. Even a full mirror is going to put you at the $3/TB mark you're looking for.

You'd probably want to have a couple of these machines running seaweedfs or minio for the s3 backend. I'd then grab some vms with decent nvme storage to act as a cache / CDN on top of this.

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

@bgerard said:
    OP didn't explicitly mention DMCA ignored, so is this your own content? If so, Gorilla servers might work.

128GB DDR4 ECC
    240GB SSD
    12 x 14TB SAS HDD
    1Gbit unmetered
    $259/mo

168TB of raw storage @ $1.54/TB. Then obviously pick whatever raid setup you want to add a bit of fault tolerance. Even a full mirror is going to put you at the $3/TB mark you're looking for.

You'd probably want to have a couple of these machines running seaweedfs or minio for the s3 backend. I'd then grab some vms with decent nvme storage to act as a cache / CDN on top of this.

Geezz man. You broke the market

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

@bgerard said:

128GB DDR4 ECC
    240GB SSD
    12 x 14TB SAS HDD
    1Gbit unmetered
    $259/mo

OP doesn’t knowThe dmca scenario. lol