Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

13th anniversary promotions - NVMe Compute & RAID10 Storage VMs - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

13th anniversary promotions - NVMe Compute & RAID10 Storage VMs

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

Your site is down for me... I get a Cloudflare "connection timed out" message.

• emghemgh Member

@Daniel15 said:

Sorry mb I just got mad with them not responding about the 24G in London, won’t do it again

Thanked by 1bdl
  • CrabCrab Member

Happy Anniversary and thank you for the great offers!

• SmigitSmigit Member

Out of interest

1) is there a timeframe for snapshot support for Sydney? July 1 like some of the other improvements?

2) when implemented will bandwidth sharing (be it same DC or Continent) include sharing between compute and storage plans, or is it compute only?

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:

We do not have any reported outages anywhere, including on our site

@emgh said:
    @hosthatch Is London put in by accident for the 24G on the thread, or missed when adding to the promo page?

Yes, my bad sorry. It is added in London now.

@Smigit said:
    Out of interest

1) is there a timeframe for snapshot support for Sydney? July 1 like some of the other improvements?

2) when implemented will bandwidth sharing (be it same DC or Continent) include sharing between compute and storage plans, or is it compute only?

1. Should be very soon (early next week).
    2. Yes, both compute and storage.
    Thanked by 2emgh Smigit
  • swordsword Member

I would like to know whether the CPU of a storage VPS in Los Angeles is E5 or AMD. Thank you.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sword said:
    I would like to know whether the CPU of a storage VPS in Los Angeles is E5 or AMD. Thank you.

Can be either, we do not guarantee any particular CPU for storage VMs. If you need a particular CPU, you can create both a NVMe VM and a Storage VM, and then mount the storage VM's disk to the NVMe VM.

• mycloudmycloud Member

Will the BF storage plans Black Friday 2023 - Storage * TB - T* in NY/LA get 20G SSD system disk? Or just the special plan Storage 4TB - RAID-10 get the 20G SSD disk?

• stxshstxsh Member
    edited April 29

@mycloud said:
    Will the BF storage plans Black Friday 2023 - Storage * TB - T* in NY/LA get 20G SSD system disk? Or just the special plan Storage 4TB - RAID-10 get the 20G SSD disk?

Footnote:

In LA, New York and Chicago, you also get a 20GB SSD OS disk with Storage VMs. We're rolling this out to all locations, but it's not available anywhere else yet.

^ that's why it's not listed in the specs.. but the answer is yes.

Thanked by 1mycloud
  • MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• nyamenknyamenk Member

@cybertech said:

MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Flash deal

• ColderCoderColderCoder Member
    edited April 29

https://www.hosthatch.com/features/ is down
    Cloudflare Error code 522

EDIT: https://hosthatch.com/features/ is working
    just remove that www subdomian

• tooiibytooiiby Member

。。。

• @remy said:

@emgh said:
    Was the 24G london never added or sold out?

never added
    And I hope it won't be added, it's its absence that makes me resist buying.

Have fun buying now.

• vpn2024vpn2024 Member
    edited April 29

Not to be mr negative here, but how does the economics of offering 24GB RAM for $10/month work, how much RAM is there per node, and understandably this is oversold in that if everyone used 24GB your host OOM will be slaying VMs like some AI playing resident evil... But even so, it seems a big bet that most of your customers will end up being LET collectors with no real use.

Curious if you can shed some details without having to divulge any sensititive info. Thanks

• caracalcaracal Member

@vpn2024 said:
    Not to be a party popper here, but how does the economics of offering 24GB RAM for $10/month work, how much RAM is there per node, and understandably this is oversold in that if everyone used 24GB your host OOM will be slaying VMs like some AI playing resident evil... But even so, it seems a big bet that most of your customers will end up being LET collectors with no real use.

Curious if you can shed some details without having to divulge any sensititive. Thanks

Party pooper!

• vpn2024vpn2024 Member

@caracal said:

@vpn2024 said:
    Not to be a party popper here, but how does the economics of offering 24GB RAM for $10/month work, how much RAM is there per node, and understandably this is oversold in that if everyone used 24GB your host OOM will be slaying VMs like some AI playing resident evil... But even so, it seems a big bet that most of your customers will end up being LET collectors with no real use.

Curious if you can shed some details without having to divulge any sensititive. Thanks

Party pooper!

Ah damn, was hoping that edit went in before some noticed. :D

• remyremy Member
    edited April 29

@JeDaYoshi said:

@remy said:

@emgh said:

never added

Have fun buying now.

I don't need it. I don't have any servers to replace.
    But it'll be harder to resist now.

Thanks for the notification

@vpn2024 said:
    Not to be mr negative here, but how does the economics of offering 24GB RAM for $10/month work, how much RAM is there per node, and understandably this is oversold in that if everyone used 24GB your host OOM will be slaying VMs like some AI playing resident evil... But even so, it seems a big bet that most of your customers will end up being LET collectors with no real use.

Curious if you can shed some details without having to divulge any sensititive info. Thanks

RAM is cheap, and with EPYC you can install a lot of it.
    I don't rule out overselling, but most providers do.
    What's expensive is computing power, both in terms of energy and purchase cost.
    The dedicated CPU allocation percentage is specified, so it's hard to ask for more.

With a few calculations, I don't think the ROI is so bad.
    With automation and limited support, as is the case here.

With some providers, I can't understand how this can be profitable.
    Even if I'm optimistic in my calculations
    This is not the case here.
    It's also a good way to get cash quickly to make other investments for services that will be sold at the normal price. So making a marku isn't necessarily the point here.

My two cents

• sputeksputek Member

@hosthatch said: 6 CPU cores (2 dedicated, 4 fair-shared cores) ROME/MILAN

How does this actually work? Do we get 2 virtual cores pinned to the host CPU cores (ie no steal time on these cores)?

Can someone post /proc/stat on previous deals with similar CPU allocation?

• vpn2024vpn2024 Member

@sputek said:

@hosthatch said: 6 CPU cores (2 dedicated, 4 fair-shared cores) ROME/MILAN

How does this actually work? Do we get 2 virtual cores pinned to the host CPU cores (ie no steal time on these cores)?

Can someone post /proc/stat on previous deals with similar CPU allocation?

This is where the word "dedicated" becomes "dedicated, but..." :D

Thanked by 1sputek
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 29

@hosthatch for the record, I got the CF error page as well, for me though, it showed for like 1 second and not again, it was at lesst least hour before @Daniel15 though

• Happy anniversary @hosthatch !

• emghemgh Member

@remy said:

@emgh said:

never added

No exuses anymore

• bdlbdl Member

@emgh said:
    hosthatch for the record, I got the CF error page as well, for me though, it showed for like 1 second and not again, it at lesst one hour before Daniel15 though

stop showing off with your fast interwebz

Thanked by 1emgh
  • sh97sh97 Member

Anyone running windows on HostHatch? How's the experience been so far?

• emghemgh Member

@sh97 said:

Check my review: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/194092/hosthatch-review/p1

• sh97sh97 Member

@emgh said:

@sh97 said:

Check my review: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/194092/hosthatch-review/p1

Thanks, I had already read it, forgot about it lol! Do you know if they allow Windows, didn't see a Windows Iso in the OS list.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @hosthatch said:

@Daniel15 said:

We do not have any reported outages anywhere, including on our site

@emgh said:
    @hosthatch Is London put in by accident for the 24G on the thread, or missed when adding to the promo page?

Yes, my bad sorry. It is added in London now.

@Smigit said:
    Out of interest

1. Should be very soon (early next week).
    2. Yes, both compute and storage.

Thank you for enabling London. Just ordered, thank you!

Thanked by 2emgh hosthatch
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 29

@vpn2024 said: Not to be mr negative here, but how does the economics of offering 24GB RAM for $10/month work,

I've got one from Black Friday 2023 with 48GB RAM (32GB * 1.5x for 3-year payment), that's around $15.30/month ($550 per 3 years). I can confirm that they do not use ballooning and it seems like the RAM is truly dedicated. I didn't notice any slowdown even if all of it was being used, so they're not doing something sketchy like using disk space to fake RAM. I installed from ISO so I can guarantee that ballooning is disabled in my VPS.

If a host is overselling RAM with KVM, they usually require users to have the ballooning driver installed and enabled. This lets VPSes that need the RAM 'borrow' unused RAM from other VPSes. SSDNodes uses this extensively, which is why they don't let you install from ISO. If you disable the driver and try to actually use all the RAM, SSDNodes start periodically rebooting your VPS to force the RAM usage to go down.

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to oversell RAM with KVM without using ballooning.

Thanked by 1vpn2024
  • @Daniel15 said:

@vpn2024 said: Not to be mr negative here, but how does the economics of offering 24GB RAM for $10/month work,

I've got one from Black Friday 2023 with 48GB RAM (32GB * 1.5x for 3-year payment), that's around $15.30/month ($550 per 3 years). I can confirm that they do not use ballooning and it seems like the RAM is truly dedicated. I didn't notice any slowdown even if all of it was being used, so they're not doing something sketchy like using disk space to fake RAM. I installed from ISO so I can guarantee that ballooning is disabled in my VPS.

If a host is overselling RAM with KVM, they usually require users to have the ballooning driver installed and enabled. This lets VPSes that need the RAM 'borrow' unused RAM from other VPSes. SSDNodes uses this extensively, which is why they don't let you install from ISO. If you disable the driver and try to actually use all the RAM, SSDNodes start periodically rebooting your VPS to force the RAM usage to go down.

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to oversell RAM with KVM without using ballooning.

You can use Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM) and I expect they do, but you woudn't notice as theres no real performance hit. Its just like dedup but for RAM in the most simplest of terms. Only real downside is potentially security is a bit lower.

Thanked by 1vpn2024