Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arm Vs x86
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Arm Vs x86

rolexdrolexd Member

I'm currently exploring the option of purchasing an ARM-based VPS (Virtual Private Server) and I'd love to hear some insights and advice from the community.

My main considerations for opting for an ARM VPS are its energy efficiency and potentially lower costs compared to traditional x86-based VPS options. However, I'm also aware that there might be some trade-offs in terms of performance and compatibility.

Before making a decision, I wanted to gather opinions from those who might have experience with ARM-based VPS solutions. Here are a few specific questions I have:

1.Have you used an ARM VPS before? If so, what was your experience like in terms of
performance, compatibility, and overall satisfaction?

2.How does the cost of ARM VPS offerings compare to x86-based options in your experience?

3.Were there any particular challenges or limitations you encountered when using ARM-based
VPS for your projects or applications?

4.Do you believe that ARM-based VPS solutions are a viable option for various use cases, or
are there specific scenarios where they excel or fall short?

5.Are there any specific providers or platforms you would recommend for ARM VPS hosting?

Any insights, tips, or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to make an informed decision based on the feedback from this knowledgeable community.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Some software does not run on Arm, but if you just doing something simple its probably fine. You can google whatever software you plan to use before buying it to see if it supports arm.

Thanked by 2rolexd martheen
  • shruubshruub Member

Hey LLM,
    so yeah, I do run like 70-80% of my stuff on arm on docker. That's mainly cause it's free @ Oracle. It's pretty nice, especially since most images do have a arn version available or a 3rd party built it already.

To test, I'd probably recommend Hetzner or Oracle Free Trail. It works.

Thanked by 2rolexd martheen
  • JosephFJosephF Member

What Operating System are you planning to use?

• remyremy Member
    edited April 26

These days x86 VPS are cheap enough so in my opinion there is no real point to choose an ARM based server only to save money. (Except maybe at scale)

This is a bit cheaper (price performance ratio) but not so many providers have an offering so it also limits number of potential providers.
    I have some in mind for Europe : Netcup, Hetzner, Oracle.

I tested some and it was performant, comparable to x86.
    On the other hand, I have not seen single-core CPU performance come close to what is best on the x86 side. At least not in the low-cost offers. But it was still very good and more than sufficient for the majority of uses.

If you plan to use applications that can exploit several cpu cores, then this could be a good option, as it's easy to get many cores at a good price.

As for limitations, it's pretty hard to give you an answer without knowing more about your needs.

Most Linux distributions are supported, with the packages that go with them. Most docker images have an ARM version, but not always. That doesn't mean you can't run it, but it does require a bit of work.

I've been using ARM servers for several years now and haven't encountered any incompatibilities that have bothered me too much.

I recommend ARM netcup VPS if u want to try.

Thanked by 2nick_ rolexd
  • rolexdrolexd Member

@remy said:
    These days x86 VPS are cheap enough so in my opinion there is no real point to choose an ARM based server only to save money. (Except maybe at scale)

This is a bit cheaper (price performance ratio) but not so many providers have an offering so it also limits number of potential providers.
    I have some in mind for Europe : Netcup, Hetzner, Oracle.

I tested some and it was performant, comparable to x86.
    On the other hand, I have not seen single-core CPU performance come close to what is best on the x86 side. At least not in the low-cost offers. But it was still very good and more than sufficient for the majority of uses.

If you plan to use applications that can exploit several cpu cores, then this could be a good option, as it's easy to get many cores at a good price.

As for limitations, it's pretty hard to give you an answer without knowing more about your needs.

Most Linux distributions are supported, with the packages that go with them. Most docker images have an ARM version, but not always. That doesn't mean you can't run it, but it does require a bit of work.

I've been using ARM servers for several years now and haven't encountered any incompatibilities that have bothered me too much.

I recommend ARM netcup VPS if u want to try.

yeah i am planing to buy on netcup thankz for response

• rolexdrolexd Member

@JosephF said:
    What Operating System are you planning to use?

ubuntu

• I have currently 3 arm vps servers, running bgp (frr/quagga) they perform superb. Currently 2 at hetzner and one at oracle. All running Debian

1. Actually my arm systems seem to perform just as well if not better. See a bit more iowait on my intel system,however could not be related

2. It was bit bit more challenging to get some packages from a repo, however I never really missed anything.

3. Yes i sure do and hope to see more of them! I think most of the time you won’t see a difference with the current datacenter arm CPU’s.. however there are always usecases where a intel/amd would be preferred.
    4. I think oracle is awesome but a bit expensive, herzner works perfectly for me as well. I want to try netcup if I can find a deal on that soon :)

What are you going to use it for?