Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The United States will cut off its connections with Chinese telecom operators
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The United States will cut off its connections with Chinese telecom operators

zbzzhzbzzh Member

Here are the latest news

https://reuters.com/business/media-telecom/agency-bars-chinese-telecom-carriers-offering-us-broadband-services-2024-04-25/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-agency-bars-chinese-telecom-170806627.html?guccounter=2&t

Is this true? Will the United States cancel the direct Internet connection between China and the United States? What do you think about this?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Comments

• I did check the calendar to make sure it is not 1st April

• bdlbdl Member
    edited April 26

pizza

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited April 26

Not gonna happen.

You misinterpreted the news stories.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 26

@zbzzh said:
    Here are the latest news

https://reuters.com/business/media-telecom/agency-bars-chinese-telecom-carriers-offering-us-broadband-services-2024-04-25/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-agency-bars-chinese-telecom-170806627.html?guccounter=2&t

Is this true? Will the United States cancel the direct Internet connection between China and the United States? What do you think about this?

They will prohibit china from colocating and hosting routers inside USA, and force them to cross connect from inside China borders instead. This allows USA to prevent local companies from peering directly within US DC's with china and china from routing this data out from US datacenters with their private routes. Or something along those lines.

Think of it as a city gate vs multiple tunnels to outside from private houses in a walled city.

In short, it wont matter a lot for generic users. China can still access USA sites and USA can still access Chinese sites. Its just similar to the TikTok ban. Useless in grand scheme, looks good on paper, and anti-consumer/anti-competition.

Its funny how USA is more Communist than Communist Party of China when it comes to specific popular products from adversaries. First they try to take it over, if they cant, then just ban or destroy it and force your consumers use the less liked option or nothing.

• zbzzhzbzzh Member
    edited April 26

@stefeman said:

@zbzzh said:
    Here are the latest news

They will prohibit china from colocating and hosting routers inside USA, and force them to cross connect from inside China borders instead. This allows USA to prevent local companies from peering directly within US DC's with china and china from routing this data out from US datacenters with their private routes. Or something along those lines.

Think of it as a city gate vs multiple tunnels to outside from private houses in a walled city.

In short, it wont matter a lot for generic users. China can still access USA sites and USA can still access Chinese sites. Its just similar to the TikTok ban. Useless in grand scheme, looks good on paper, and anti-consumer/anti-competition.

Its funny how USA is more Communist than Communist Party of China when it comes to specific popular products from adversaries. First they try to take it over, if they cant, then just ban or destroy it and force your consumers use the less liked option or nothing.

What we are more concerned about is whether it will affect China Telecom's high-speed connection network with the United States, such as Cn2gia(AS4809), and whether it will disconnect China's POP in the United States.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited April 26

@zbzzh said:
    Here are the latest news

@zbzzh Thank you for yet another very interesting and important post. I do not know the source of the information behind the Reuters and the Yahoo stories, but those interested might like to look at FCC Commissioner Starks' Statement at https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-370866A3.pdf as well as the two cases cited in the Re: section at the top of Commissioner Starks' statement.

A significant concern to the FCC seems to be differences between American and Chinese law regarding information disclosure by a business to the government.

I hope the differences between the US and China can be resolved amicably. 🌎🌍 Best wishes!

• JasonMJasonM Member

No they will not in long run. Internet is based on inter-connection.

• @Not_Oles said:

@zbzzh said:
    Here are the latest news

@zbzzh Thank you for yet another very interesting and important post. I do not know the source of the information behind the Reuters and the Yahoo stories, but those interested might like to look at FCC Commissioner Starks' Statement at https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-370866A3.pdf as well as the two cases cited in the Re: section at the top of Commissioner Starks' statement.

A significant concern to the FCC seems to be differences between American and Chinese law regarding information disclosure by a business to the government.

I hope the differences between the US and China can be resolved amicably. 🌎🌍 Best wishes!

When Trump comes into power, this stuff will appear at most cute, compared to what's coming. He's obsessed with China lol.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

If this leads to China finally getting better connectivity to regular transits then I'm actually looking forward to it.

Forcing ISPs and Hosts to buy Transit with China specific network companies (for reasonable throughput and performance) is not good for routing quality, price or reliability.

For many years these costs have been passed on to western businesses and consumers. This could very well be a net positive out of these changes (once the initial adaptation occurs).

The internet would be a better and more robust place if all the Tier 1's had CN2/CT/CU interconnects with enough capacity between (for both Asian Neighnbours and the US). Even just because of the increase in points of failure.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 26

@stefeman said: This allows USA to prevent local companies from peering directly within US DC's with china and china from routing this data out from US datacenters with their private routes. Or something along those lines.

Ain't gonna happen. Tunnels exist for a reason and there are other ways to piggyback if a carrier wants it, heck, even stealthy.

This is stupid, probably some politician had a curly idea and pushed things without consulting with some IT guy.

@SplitIce said: The internet would be a better and more robust place if all the Tier 1's had CN2/CT/CU interconnects with enough capacity between (for both Asian Neighnbours and the US).

Unless the GFW is upgraded to handle the extra DPI needed, it ain't gonna happen either, unless for places outside the GFW and those already have good connectivity.

Thanked by 1stefeman

@Maounique said: stupid

@Maounique said: curly idea

Hi @Maounique! It's okay to say what you want, but why express your valuable and important ideas in such disparaging language? How does negative language help? Thanks! Best wishes! :)

Thanked by 1gwnd1989
  • @stefeman said:
    Its just similar to the TikTok ban. Useless in grand scheme, looks good on paper, and anti-consumer/anti-competition.

Adam Smith's invisible hand of the free market at its best.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Not_Oles said:

@Maounique said: stupid

@Maounique said: curly idea

Hi @Maounique! It's okay to say what you want, but why express your valuable and important ideas in such disparaging language? How does negative language help? Thanks! Best wishes! :)

I actually found it both informative and funny at the same time.

Its likely also the truth. Not to mention half of the users here use worse language in many threads.

• It's pretty ignorant of many posters here given the fact that the US has been increasingly making it more public the Chinese government sponsored hacking of US industries. They're not fucking around when they talk about threats to US security.

Seriously, are you guys always this ignorant?

Thanked by 3Kris 10thHouse aj_potc
  • fwiw this is interesting changes if united states could pull it off, not just sitting as draft for another next few decades.

@TimboJones said:
    It's pretty ignorant of many posters here given the fact that the US has been increasingly making it more public the Chinese government sponsored hacking of US industries. They're not fucking around when they talk about threats to US security.

Seriously, are you guys always this ignorant?

that's not surprising at all considering this forum is filled with mjj and the mod is getting their feefees hurt because of naugthy words.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: Unless the GFW is upgraded to handle the extra DPI needed, it ain't gonna happen either, unless for places outside the GFW and those already have good connectivity.

Thats a China problem not a US problem.

@stefeman said: half of the users here use worse language in many threads.

Hi @stefeman!

@Maounique impresses me very positively in many ways. He is a good thinker! His Proxmox tutorials were great! We all are better off, in my opinion, having @Maounique here with us. It's just my personal opinion, but I think, if @Maounique sometimes were a little more gentle with his vocabulary, he might improve his already distinguished status here in our community. Just my two cents. You are free to disagree.

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by 1stefeman

@ScreenReader said:
    that's not surprising at all considering this forum is filled with mjj and

Really?

the mod is getting their feefees hurt because of naugthy words.

Really?

• clanclan Member

Instead of worrying, it’s better to go to the United States directly

• KrisKris Member

@Not_Oles said: Really

Hello Tom,

Really!

Let's not pretend you do not run to any thread you believe disparages Chinese folks like they're your children.

Yet you fall silent when it comes to latent racism run rampant towards Romanian and some European hosts no problem.

This is the second time I've seen you deviate from a non-biased moderator to a personal crusade. Perhaps I am just wrong and you selectively tag folks based on something else?

Does it have to do with the love you get from HostLoc folks or the review threads from your "MetalVPS" hobby?

Not sure a LET moderator is something you're cut out for, MetalVPS seems more your speed.

These alligator tears about certain things you don't like "stupid" and "curly idea" are beyond weird to call out.

The selective moderation depending on what races you like are tiring when you add the "I'm just a friendly old man who's about as self aware as Steve Carrell in The Office" attitude.

Best Wishes,
    Kris

edited April 27

@TimboJones said: Seriously, are you guys always this ignorant?

On the contrary, I DO understand where that comes from, politically, I mean, but, as others have said before me, it is both pointless as the circumvention is pretty easy for anyone who heard about encapsulation and routing and, even if it would have worked, it would have done nothing to address the "hacking issue".

You simply can't hinder hackers through routing, heck, not even with firewalls, unless really clever and maybe with DPI, even so, make their job harder, not block them, if your stack has a vulnerability and it is possible to connect from the internet to it, even if you block all of China, heck, all of the world except your organization, with enough patience, hopping and escalation, someone would get in.

As for @Not_Oles, I get it, I really do and I promise to be more careful after the people doing 100 times worse DIRECTLY towards me are also publicly admonished.

For example, I could rent a server in the US, INTENTIONALLY leave a vulnerability in, the Chinese or North Koreans would be able to connect to it and, voila, all traffic comes from my server, I can claim plausible deniability, job done and this is one of the many methods they could get in and don't need any accomplice to help them there are so many ppl who are simply pasting commands and scripts from "the Internet" and then forget about it for years.

As I said, even in ideal conditions, you can't stop hackers with routing or holding the gate, the GFW can't "protect" the Chinese people from "dangerous ideas", even the regular citizens can bypass it with minimal knowledge and tools, are the US actually trying to replicate that failure in the US as well?

Good luck with that!

@Maounique said: As for @Not_Oles, I get it, I really do and I promise to be more careful after the people doing 100 times worse DIRECTLY towards me are also publicly admonished.

Please ping me any time. Any of the other Mods too. Thanks again for your frequent and excellent contributions to LET!

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • 10thHouse10thHouse Member
    edited April 27

@stefeman said:

@zbzzh said:
    Here are the latest news

They're not banning TikTok; they're forcing them to sell OR be banned. ByteDance's panic and rage at this proposition is suspect for a company that claims not to be handled by the communist party, not to say the least. TikTok is itself banned in China, and there's no doubt that PRC is manipulating the the platform's algorithms to promote Chinese national interests (like Uyghur rights) and depress awareness of info that counters the official narrative, or supports the foreign policy of adversaries (like pro Ukraine content). Additionally, the domestic Chinese TikTok analogue, Douyin, screens for much more informative and moralizing content, and it's hard to deny that the CCP isn't behind that policy. If the youth are the future, what better way to subvert China's enemies than by destroying the will of their youth?

And don't go on about how America is more communist than China. Try accessing anything outside the officially sanctioned web without a VPN (which are officially illegal). The TikTok "ban" in America runs parallel to India's decision to ban the platform, but with some even more liberal caveats like the potential of liquidation, but it's not like we're jumping out of our seats to brand India as "communist." In this race, TikTok, not American legislation, is the anticompetitive tumor. People in India moved to Instagram reels, YouTube shorts, Twitter, various domestic platforms, Whatsapp groups, Telegram groups, etc., and life carried on like normal, just with fewer Chinese tentacles in the mix. The same will happen in America.

• @10thHouse said:

@stefeman said:

@zbzzh said:
    Here are the latest news

They're not banning TikTok; they're forcing them to sell OR be banned. ByteDance's panic and rage at this proposition is suspect for a company that claims not to be handled by the communist party, not to say the least. TikTok is itself banned in China, and there's no doubt that PRC is manipulating the the platform's algorithms to promote Chinese national interests (like Uyghur rights) and depress awareness of info that counters the official narrative, or supports the foreign policy of adversaries (like pro Ukraine content). Additionally, the domestic Chinese TikTok analogue, Douyin, screens for much more informative and moralizing content, and it's hard to deny that the CCP isn't behind that policy. If the youth are the future, what better way to subvert China's enemies than by destroying the will of their youth?

And don't go on about how America is more communist than China. Try accessing anything outside the officially sanctioned web without a VPN (which are officially illegal). The TikTok "ban" in America runs parallel to India's decision to ban the platform, but with some even more liberal caveats like the potential of liquidation, but it's not like we're jumping out of our seats to brand India as "communist." In this race, TikTok, not American legislation, is the anticompetitive tumor. People in India moved to Instagram reels, YouTube shorts, Twitter, various domestic platforms, Whatsapp groups, Telegram groups, etc., and life carried on like normal, just with fewer Chinese tentacles in the mix. The same will happen in America.

I agree with some stuff, but when nation is breaking its own rules of capitalism to fight communism, it just looks bad.

• @Not_Oles said:
    Just my two cents. You are free to disagree.

Official disagreement. In my experience, the people who whine about other people's language have fucked up ethics themselves (e.g. religious fucks).

• @Maounique said:

@TimboJones said: Seriously, are you guys always this ignorant?

On the contrary, I DO understand where that comes from, politically, I mean, but, as others have said before me, it is both pointless as the circumvention is pretty easy for anyone who heard about encapsulation and routing and, even if it would have worked, it would have done nothing to address the "hacking issue".

You simply can't hinder hackers through routing, heck, not even with firewalls, unless really clever and maybe with DPI, even so, make their job harder, not block them, if your stack has a vulnerability and it is possible to connect from the internet to it, even if you block all of China, heck, all of the world except your organization, with enough patience, hopping and escalation, someone would get in.

I don't think you read the article or understand the issue (as others have demonstrated). And if you claim you do, I'm afraid you're less technically skilled as I thought.

• @stefeman said:
    I agree with some stuff, but when nation is breaking its own rules of capitalism to fight communism, it just looks bad.

What are you talking about? Can't be talking about the US and the last 80+ years.

Hello @TimboJones from the LET Mod Team. The Team discussed the first two of the following posts in connection with your past history of severe warnings over several years for using extreme language. The decision was made to suspend your account so as to give you a week off to calm down.

@TimboJones said: Official disagreement. In my experience, the people who whine about other people's language have fucked up ethics themselves (e.g. religious fucks).

@TimboJones said: I'm afraid you're less technically skilled as I thought.

@TimboJones said: What are you talking about? Can't be talking about the US and the last 80+ years.

We look forward to seeing you again after your week off! When you return, please try to take it easy! Thanks very much for your careful consideration. Best wishes!

• emghemgh Member

This thread :D

Thanked by 1bdl